Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Brake Maintenance late 2021 Model S (Tech Note 19-33-004)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my new Model S September 28, 2021. Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating the brake calipers every 12,500 miles or annually where salt is used on roads and with muddy/dirty/gravel road conditions. I drive in that climate and in those conditions and I have > 13,000 miles and almost a year on my car. We have only one service tech in our geographically huge state (no offense, but chop Alaska in half and Texas would become the third-largest US state). So to help out, I wanted to see if I could perform the service myself. Tesla opened access to their service manual and other docs for free to owners sometime earlier this year. I was able to locate the service note about this maintenance, and very clear instructions with lots of pictures on how to perform it. There are also several videos elsewhere that show what's involved. It doesn't look that difficult for someone who has a few tools and a little experience... However, step #30 requires replacement parts: rear brake "abutment shims" (not brake pad shims). I can't seem to locate these "abutment shims" anywhere. I tried searching Tesla's parts catalog and online searching with terms like Brembo/Tesla brake shims..I even wrote to the Tesla feedback email address in the service manual.

[While I was writing this post, I received a reply from Tesla:
Thanks for reaching out. Currently, the shims are included with a new set of rear brake pads. We are actively working on making the shims separately orderable. I’ll follow up with you when a part number is available.]

(You'll probably need to sign-up with your account to access the free service manual and parts catalog at the links I highlighted above)

Are there any brake pros on this forum who could offer some solid advice? (i.e. I'm not looking for speculation from backyard mechanics, such as myself ;)...) Here's Figure 24 from the tech note showing the shims:

Screen Shot 2022-08-30 at 3.30.12 PM.png

Reactions: tga
It doesn't look that difficult for someone who has a few tools and a little experience... However, step #30 requires replacement parts: rear brake "abutment shims" (not brake pad shims). I can't seem to locate these "abutment shims" anywhere.
I’m as educated as you are and have done that kind of service my own even before I did it on my Tesla. If the “abutment shim” is a stainless steel then I would use it again, certainly clean it and make sure it’s not damaged. I have had the same situation on my previous cars, not been able to find the needed part and used these items again. You can have the service done while you wait for the part to arrive or just order the pads set and use only the shims if it’s included in the set.

Upvote 0
OK- Yeah, in answer to KITT 2.0: Mobile service through the app is an option for me, and I have a request in. I think that this type of maintenance would be covered but, like I wrote: currently, with only one tech for all of Alaska, and over 1300 Teslas and counting, I'm not expecting an appointment any time soon...Those who live near a (well-staffed) service center: Be sure to take some time out from each day to be grateful!

For everyone: This morning I received another message from Tesla tech publications: "...the separate part number [for the shims] is: 1514163-00-A. This should include 2 shims, which are good for 1 corner of the vehicle. Our procurement systems are in the process of being updated, so I recommend you try ordering on Thursday (1 September 2022)..." Thanks Tech Pubs!!

The abutment shims are only required in the rear, with the integrated parking brake system. Older models have a separate parking brake (glad they changed that!)

I was considering reusing the shims, and probably that's what a shop would do, but I'm not in a hurry, yet... The front calipers have brake pad shims, which do not require replacement and which I'll reuse.

Upvote 0
for any one curious about having Tesla do the yearly caliper cleaning and lubing, this is what the service center quoted me. Does not appear to be covered under warranty (disappointing). I’ll confirm once I actually have the work done. Looks to be roughly $200. Not sure if the price varies depending on specific model cars. Mine is a 2021 model S.
Brake caliper cleaning and lube.png

Upvote 0
Interesting, I still haven't been able to order the replacement shims, not without trying, but today (15 September) I received my first reply from Tesla Service that they will do the maintenance, and get back to me when they have a date...No mention of costs, yet (my initial service request was made on August 29th).

Upvote 0
I've had this done on my 2014 S while it was under warranty, and it was never covered by warranty. But they're only charging around 1hr of labor; it's hard to believe they can do all 4 corners that quickly.

Latest from Tech Pubs is that I can order the shims from the Bellevue (WA) service center.
@MikeGracz, can you clarify "ordering" - will they ship them to you? Or do you have to pick up (or have someone pick up and send them)? If Tesla will ship me parts, that's handy. I'm a bit far from a service center (through not as far as you).

EDIT - Thanks for posting this. I had no idea they opened up access to the service docs!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Fwiw, those calipers are standard Brembos shared by other cars. The shims you are after are probably available in a brake hardware kit for those other applications, even if Tesla doesn’t have that. Probably can get real OEM parts. If you go that route, replace the pins also. Cheap compared to the time involved.

Upvote 0
I've had this done on my 2014 S while it was under warranty, and it was never covered by warranty. But they're only charging around 1hr of labor; it's hard to believe they can do all 4 corners that quickly.

@MikeGracz, can you clarify "ordering" - will they ship them to you? Or do you have to pick up (or have someone pick up and send them)? If Tesla will ship me parts, that's handy. I'm a bit far from a service center (through not as far as you).

EDIT - Thanks for posting this. I had no idea they opened up access to the service docs!
I agree, the price seems well worth it! Supposedly the Bellevue, WA Service Center would have shipped the shims to me. I emailed them, but got no response. A publications tech at Tesla was helping me out. I think eventually they would have done it; the parts catalog indicates that the shims are an "over-the-counter" item in the "restrictions" column. Now that a mobile tech has contacted me saying that they have ordered the shims, I'm not bothering to try to order them. I would like to do the maintenance myself, because I would spend extra time cleaning everything. I am hoping the mobile tech, who will probably do the work in my garage will let me "help". I drove a very long, remote road to the Arctic Ocean last month, and the calcium they add plus the mud and road material adhered to everything like concrete!

Reactions: tga
Upvote 0
.............However, step #30 requires replacement parts: rear brake "abutment shims" (not brake pad shims). I can't seem to locate these "abutment shims" anywhere. I tried searching Tesla's parts catalog and online searching with terms like Brembo/Tesla brake shims..I even wrote to the Tesla feedback email address in the service manual.
I will ignore the request for brake pros only :)

You missed the part at the beginning stating: NOTE: Tesla recommends to replace retaining pins, anti-rattle springs, abutment springs/clips, shims, and bolts that are excessively corroded (Figure 3)

So when you read:

30. Install new abutment springs/clips or shims (as applicable) into the rear LH carrier (Figures 23 and 24)

The "as applicable" part means when required, ie: when excessively corroded. If yours are not (and they are not) then they don't require replacement.

FWIW I have 220,000 km on my brakes and while they don't have those shims, I have yet to replace anything in my 6 month heavily sanded and salted winter area, because I service them every 6 months and coat the metal with grease*. (about 60% brake pad remaining)

So you are being a little overzealous. That is a compliment not a complaint :)

*Make sure you use the Tesla compatible grease. I assume that is the same CRC Silaramic grease recommended for my calipers.

thanks for the info regarding the new tesla parts subscription :)

Reactions: KalJoMoS and tga
Upvote 0
I will ignore the request for brake pros only :)

You missed the part at the beginning stating: NOTE: Tesla recommends to replace retaining pins, anti-rattle springs, abutment springs/clips, shims, and bolts that are excessively corroded (Figure 3)

So when you read:

30. Install new abutment springs/clips or shims (as applicable) into the rear LH carrier (Figures 23 and 24)

The "as applicable" part means when required, ie: when excessively corroded. If yours are not (and they are not) then they don't require replacement.

FWIW I have 220,000 km on my brakes and while they don't have those shims, I have yet to replace anything in my 6 month heavily sanded and salted winter area, because I service them every 6 months and coat the metal with grease*. (about 60% brake pad remaining)

So you are being a little overzealous. That is a compliment not a complaint :)

*Make sure you use the Tesla compatible grease. I assume that is the same CRC Silaramic grease recommended for my calipers.

thanks for the info regarding the new tesla parts subscription :)
I interpreted the "as applicable" to mean springs for Model 3 and shims for S/X... However, your interpretation might be correct. It is a little ambiguous, but the nearest noun choice modified by "as applicable" is springs/shims, however... I wonder what they intended- I'll ask the guy who is responsible...
I hope to have Tesla mobile Service do the work, they have now ordered the shims and contacted me, although I don't have a date yet...
I also drove about 1000 miles on a mostly unpaved road to the arctic ocean, and the build up of cement-like mud on my wheels etc., due to application of calcium for dust abatement, was truly incredible. Some drivers of that road have had fender liners torn out by normal wheel rotation due to extreme build up...I wouldn't be surprised if I broke the shims while trying to remove them for cleaning. I am really interested to see what it looks like in there! I wanted to have a spare on hand just in case- afterall with everything dis-assembled it would be a drag to redo, or not drive until I received the parts (a month or more?)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just heard back from Tesla about a revision of this brake service note, the ambiguous language, and replacing/reusing springs/shims:
1) The service note has been revised: https://service.tesla.com/docs/Serv..._Base_Model_S_and_X_Integrated_Parking_R1.pdf
2) "as applicable" refers to springs for 3/Y and shims for S/X.
3) The tech added: "Normally the springs/shims can be reused, but the Note that you mentioned takes precedence; if the springs/shims are corroded, they should be replaced."

Reactions: dark cloud
Upvote 0
I finally got my brake service done, and it was not like the tech note! The rear brakes were similar, except the tech told me that if I, or a local shop, had tried to do them we would likely not be able to remove the rear calipers because the service software was now required to release the emergency brake (tow mode?). The front brake calipers were completely different than illustrated in the revised tech note (or the earlier one)! There are no retaining pins to drive out. Each pad rides on two very beefy bushings (3/4"?) cast as part of the calipers (wish I had taken a photo)! Everything was clean, even with winter salt and 500 miles of haul road mud, which is truly spectacular stuff! The rear shims were in fine condition (thumbs up @dark cloud).
Tesla has finally shipped new rear abutment shims to me, but they have not arrived yet. I suppose I will eventually use them.
As part of the annual service, the tech was also going to replace my cabin air filter, but the part numbers are somehow mixed up and the filter he had was not the same size as the one in my car. I noticed that they were out of stock at the Tesla Shop. However, my owner manual indicates replacing the cabin air filter only every 3 years, unless a musty smell is noticed. My one-year-old filter looked pristine. He was also going to replace wiper blades, but didn't have any. I was able to order some through the Tesla Shop...
So far I am unaware of any charges for the service, but it was an unusual situation unique to mobile service in Alaska... Tesla never did provide me with a cost estimate for the annual maintenance through the app, and no charges have shown up on my credit card. I can't figure out any other way to determine if, or what, they might charge me.

Upvote 0
for any one curious about having Tesla do the yearly caliper cleaning and lubing, this is what the service center quoted me. Does not appear to be covered under warranty (disappointing). I’ll confirm once I actually have the work done. Looks to be roughly $200. Not sure if the price varies depending on specific model cars. Mine is a 2021 model S.
Why would a wear item be covered under warranty? only defects are warranty items. if the brake pad exploded under normal operation that would be a warranty repair. simply doing annual maintenance is not covered and should not be covered by anyone.
but i digress,
those shims are SS so unless you broke it during removal there is no reason to replace it unless its destroyed somehow. Also since the brakes are just standard Brembo's you can just get ahold of them and ask for the shim piece to be sent to you. Or a part number that autozone can order.

Upvote 0
I finally got my brake service done, and it was not like the tech note! The rear brakes were similar, except the tech told me that if I, or a local shop, had tried to do them we would likely not be able to remove the rear calipers because the service software was now required to release the emergency brake (tow mode?).
Seriously? How then does one tow the vehicle?

Upvote 0