Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering what the total cost is for those of us with Model 3s in different states. Thought it'd be an interesting comparison!
List your state and total charge for renewing your vehicle license.
(If you use acronyms/abbreviations, please explain them for those of us from other states!)
Let's see where it's most economical to actually own a Tesla!

VA $40.75 + $64 electric vehicle fee (being I don’t buy gasoline and therefore no liquid fuels tax to maintain roads). Such an environmentally friendly state. Then there is the annual personal property tax that is assessed on all cars and is based on the blue book value, which I estimate will be at least $1200 this year.
So take that, California!

I paid just over $300 to renew my Model 3 tabs in Washington State (I live north of Seattle in a fairly rural area). $225 of that was a tax on electric vehicles to account for loss of funds incorporated into the gasoline tax to maintain roads. I also have a Prius V and noticed that the state now taxes me an additional $75 per year for the same reason. Seems to contradict our governor's public stance on tackling environmental issues, in my opinion. On the flip side I also understand the need to pay for road maintenance. I just hate to see the migration to EVs hindered by additional taxation.

North Carolina: just a few shekels under $1000. That includes the $130 EV fee, vanity plate, registration fees, safety inspection, and personal property tax all of which must be paid before getting the expiration sticker for another year.

Hello! I'm in Salisbury too!

I purchased my Model 3 a few weeks ago. Apparently in NC you have to pay property taxes on a vehicle you just purchased. Fun! Here are the fees that were included in my vehicle purchase price:
$1602 "Highway Use Tax"
$52 "MCO Cert of TTL Fee" (guess this is for a new plate?)
$36 "Plate Calculation"
$130 "Electric Vehicle"

The property taxes are $400. So I presume the annual fee to use this car on NC roads will be $36 (regular plate) + $130 (electric vehicle) + $400-ish (taxes), so around $560. The taxes make sense due to vehicle value, so the $130 must be used to offset gas taxes we don't pay.

• Informative
Reactions: bbk3e