Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We also have beaches (Santa Cruz), forests (redwoods, sequoias and pines... well, the ones which haven't burnt down yet...), mountains (Tahoe) and farmland (Central Valley). Not sure if blueberries are grown here but tomatoes probably are. Bagels can be found in a couple of places here, pizza lesser so (not really authentic Chicago-style despite what Pizza Hut might say) and there's a Honey Baked Ham store in town. There used to be a fair amount of places to eat 24/7 but COVID has taken its toll. Same for the nightlife (what I know of it).

Great weather (except the current heatwave; thanks global warming), the occasional earthquake swarm (6 shakers of about 3.0 each in the last 24 hours a few miles from San Jose) and did I mention the vast parking lots around here? Most other places would call them highways (or turnpikes).

re: Newark. Same can be said of San Francisco (typically by the South Bayers here) but I don't know who in their right-mind would pay for it.

I’m a Southerner, so having to decide which place would be worse to live, California or New Jersey, is similar to deciding whether to vote for Trump or Biden! Sorry to politicize this thread but after that debate the other night, well, just damn. Btw I have visited California several times and (when it’s not on fire) it’s really a lovely place and the people are very friendly. Never been to Jersey so I have no reference other than TV and people I have met who moved south from the state.

Yowza. I have the same car (2018 model) and my RTA Excise Tax was "only" $343.

City: Seattle, WA
Model: Model 3 LR Dual Motor

Registration License - Renewal $30.00
Transportation Electrification $75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal $150.00

Vehicle Weight $45.00
Registration Filing $4.50
Registration Service Fee $8.00
Department of Licensing Service $0.50
License Plate Technology $0.25
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle $80.00
RTA Excise Tax $519.00
Total $912.25

how about a fee based on miles driven? They could have us go somewhere to show miles driven and have us pay the amount accordingly at the time renewal was due or something.

Turns out the Washington State Transportation Commission agrees with you. They have recommended a Road Usage Tax to replace the gas tax. Washington Road Usage Charge Pilot Program | WA RUC

I'm not a big fan of using an app to give the state my driving data, however.

City: Seattle, WA
Model: Model 3 LR Dual Motor

Registration License - Renewal $30.00
Transportation Electrification $75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal $150.00

Vehicle Weight $45.00
Registration Filing $4.50
Registration Service Fee $8.00
Department of Licensing Service $0.50
License Plate Technology $0.25
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle $80.00
RTA Excise Tax $519.00
Total $912.25

Washington tab renewal for 2016 model S 901.25$

Renewal Fee Details​

Registration License - Renewal
$30.00
Transportation Electrification
$75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal
$150.00
Vehicle Weight
$45.00
Registration Filing
$4.50
Registration Service Fee
$8.00
Department of Licensing Service
$0.50
License Plate Technology
$0.25
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle
$20.00
RTA Excise Tax
$568.00

Washington tab renewal for 2016 model S 901.25$

Renewal Fee Details​

Registration License - Renewal
$30.00
Transportation Electrification
$75.00
Electric Vehicle Registration Renewal
$150.00
Vehicle Weight
$45.00
Registration Filing
$4.50
Registration Service Fee
$8.00
Department of Licensing Service
$0.50
License Plate Technology
$0.25
Transportation Benefit District - Seattle
$20.00
RTA Excise Tax
$568.00
Whoa, that's the land of the fee.

Never been to Jersey so I have no reference other than TV and people I have met who moved south from the state.

Just seeing this but ...
#1 - Ignore anything and everything you've seen on TV about NJ. Especially those knuckleheads on MTV -- they were imported from NY.
#2 - Feel free to come visit us anytime. Happy to show you the very best of living here. Beaches, forests, mountains, farmland, and 24-hour diners -- all within 45 minutes of each other. There's a very good reason we're the Garden State.

Here's a drone shot a few minutes away from me ... not exactly what you see on TV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.25.27 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 11.25.27 AM.jpg
    342.7 KB · Views: 72
Turns out the Washington State Transportation Commission agrees with you. They have recommended a Road Usage Tax to replace the gas tax. Washington Road Usage Charge Pilot Program | WA RUC

I'm not a big fan of using an app to give the state my driving data, however.
Irony is that we keep being told that we need to reduce carbon emissions and yet when we do by not driving ICE cars we are taxed more.