Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wondering what the total cost is for those of us with Model 3s in different states. Thought it'd be an interesting comparison!
List your state and total charge for renewing your vehicle license.
(If you use acronyms/abbreviations, please explain them for those of us from other states!)
Let's see where it's most economical to actually own a Tesla!
Performance Model 3, Washington State, around 850 a year i believe. Mine is free cuz I’m a 100% disabled veteran, but that’s the amount intiially charged (and then reimbursed after paperwork) when i purchased it in late 2019. Pays to have over fifteen orthopaedic surgeries over the course of a twenty year career in the Infantry.

Just seeing this but ...
#1 - Ignore anything and everything you've seen on TV about NJ. Especially those knuckleheads on MTV -- they were imported from NY.
#2 - Feel free to come visit us anytime. Happy to show you the very best of living here. Beaches, forests, mountains, farmland, and 24-hour diners -- all within 45 minutes of each other. There's a very good reason we're the Garden State.

Here's a drone shot a few minutes away from me ... not exactly what you see on TV.
Wow that’s a beautiful picture, thanks for sharing! (Btw I haven’t watched MTV in over 20 years, and God willing I never will again)

Meanwhile, our supposedly "green" state imposes no penalties on new gas guzzlers. Go figure.
Actually, if you think about it, the existing gas tax does impose a penalty on gas guzzlers, both new and old. The worse a vehicle’s gas mileage is, the more gas the owner must buy, and thus must also pay more tax per mile driven. I’m not saying it’s enough, just that it is a penalty on gas guzzlers. And the EV fees imposed by many states simply replace the gas tax not being paid by the EV driver (even though he is clearly using the public roads and should help to pay for them). Again not a perfect system, but a logical one at any rate.

Current annual fees in GA are: an Alternate Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Fee of $240, plus $20 registration, plus another $35 if you have an AFV plate (optional). Unfortunately that AFV fee, which was billed as EVs paying their fair share of road taxes does not go to roads, it goes into the State General Funds, so it is just a tax on EVs!

Current annual fees in GA are: an Alternate Fuel Vehicle (AFV) Fee of $240, plus $20 registration, plus another $35 if you have an AFV plate (optional). Unfortunately that AFV fee, which was billed as EVs paying their fair share of road taxes does not go to roads, it goes into the State General Funds, so it is just a tax on EVs!
Actually the GA EV fee goes into a fund specifically for mass transit projects. That’s how the legislature got the Sierra Club to support the fee.

$845 here. I live about 45 min south of Seattle. I have to pay $225 for electric car and $500 something for our new mass transit tax
Yes, the RT3 tax is hefty, not to mention being indexed in a terrible way. But I'm OK paying for real mass transit. I've been in Seattle long enough that I remember a tax almost as big as RT3 for a ridiculous monorail project that never got off the ground (pun intended).

Reactions: ratcityrain