Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual license plate renewal fees - how much in your state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, if you think about it, the existing gas tax does impose a penalty on gas guzzlers, both new and old. The worse a vehicle’s gas mileage is, the more gas the owner must buy, and thus must also pay more tax per mile driven. I’m not saying it’s enough, just that it is a penalty on gas guzzlers. And the EV fees imposed by many states simply replace the gas tax not being paid by the EV driver (even though he is clearly using the public roads and should help to pay for them). Again not a perfect system, but a logical one at any rate.
As I've said before, I'm fine with a fee that replaces the gas tax (which WA imposes). But EV owners pay two additional fees simply for the privilege of driving an EV. It's counterproductive to encouraging EV adoption and penalizes people for doing the right thing. We'd be better off imposing an additional tax on any vehicle that gets less than 30 or 35 mpg, with those funds going to building out the EV charging infrastructure.

In Massachusetts, the license renewal fee is only $60 for 2 years.

We also have to have an annual inspection for $35.

Towns also charge excise (property) taxes on cars, but it's the same formula for all towns.

Excise tax is $25 per $1000 of assessed value.
Assessed value is a % of manufacturer's list price.
90% in year of manufacture.
60% second year
40% third year
25% fourth year
10% fifth year and any year after.

I paid $360 for 2021 on my 2018 LR RWD for year 4. I think they consider the list price $57,500. Will be $144 next year.

That link is for the AFV tag fee. I was referring to the (much higher) $200+ annual EV fee. The tag fee (which is optional) goes to the general fund, the EV fee (which is mandatory) goes to fund mass transit projects.

Your are correct my friend - the AFV fee (mandatory) does "...contribute to the maintenance and repair of the roads on which they drive in Georgia." The $200 figure, was the fee when the bill passed, is now up to $233. The "plate" fee, as you noted is optional, and goes to the general fund. Thank you!

Your are correct my friend - the AFV fee (mandatory) does "...contribute to the maintenance and repair of the roads on which they drive in Georgia." The $200 figure, was the fee when the bill passed, is now up to $233. The "plate" fee, as you noted is optional, and goes to the general fund. Thank you!
No worries. Actually I wasn’t entirely correct as I thought the fee went to mass transit projects, not roads and bridges. My memory seems to be fading with age. At any rate, while I’m not opposed to all of us paying our fair share for the roads on which we drive, I do think GA’s fee is a tad high. Last year I moved from GA to SC where the EV fee is only $75 every OTHER year. However, SC still charges annual ad valorem tax on cars so I just paid $420.80 to renew my tag on my 2018 Model 3 with 105k miles (and that’s with the high mileage “discount”). Makes me miss the GA fees!

Yes, the RT3 tax is hefty, not to mention being indexed in a terrible way. But I'm OK paying for real mass transit. I've been in Seattle long enough that I remember a tax almost as big as RT3 for a ridiculous monorail project that never got off the ground (pun intended).
I'm the same. I'm for the mass transit, just not how they are handling it, both financially and construction wise. Seems like it's going to take forever, like the construction near the Tacoma dome as that's been going on for a decade lol

Forgot about this thread... Paid my annual renewal several months back: $580.
Yearly re-visit to this thread.... Received my California DMV annual renewal notice today for my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD and it was broken down as follows:

Registration fee: $257 (don't know how much of this is the EV renewal fee that kicked in last year)
License fee: $233 (0.65% of vehicle's value, which means the DMV thinks my car is worth $35,846.15)
Weight fee: $0
Special plate fee: $43 (personalized plate)
County/District fees: $21 (Santa Clara county, city of San Jose)
Owner responsibility fee (?): $0
Total: $554 ($26 less than last year)

Unincorporated King County (near Seattle), Washington. Just got my fee for my first renewal of my 2022 Model S Plaid. $1,681.25. RTA Excise Tax portion is $1,358.00. Does that sound right to people?

Apparently I'm used to older or one-off ICE car renewal fee levels, not new EV renewal fees.

Yearly re-visit to this thread.... Received my California DMV annual renewal notice today for my 2018 Model 3 LR RWD and it was broken down as follows:

Registration fee: $257 (don't know how much of this is the EV renewal fee that kicked in last year)
License fee: $233 (0.65% of vehicle's value, which means the DMV thinks my car is worth $35,846.15)
Weight fee: $0
Special plate fee: $43 (personalized plate)
County/District fees: $21 (Santa Clara county, city of San Jose)
Owner responsibility fee (?): $0
Total: $554 ($26 less than last year)
Forgot to post last year, but CA DMV renewal for 2022 was $469. This year, it was $446. Itemized as:
  • REGISTRATION FEE $216
  • LICENSE FEE $166 (which seems like my vehicle's value is now pegged at $25,538.46)
  • WEIGHT FEE $0
  • SPECIAL PLATE FEE $43
  • COUNTY/DISTRICT FEES $21
  • OWNER RESPONSIBILITY FEE $0

Forgot to post last year, but CA DMV renewal for 2022 was $469. This year, it was $446. Itemized as:
  • REGISTRATION FEE $216
  • LICENSE FEE $166 (which seems like my vehicle's value is now pegged at $25,538.46)
  • WEIGHT FEE $0
  • SPECIAL PLATE FEE $43
  • COUNTY/DISTRICT FEES $21
  • OWNER RESPONSIBILITY FEE $0
Well now, at least you didn’t have to pay anything as the owner to be responsible for what? The car? The fee? Overall life needs like brushing your teeth periodically? Interesting set of charges to be sure.