Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual NYS inspection on LI

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can ask your Service Center where they take new Teslas for inspection before delivery, or use a local inspection station.

Obviously, you only need mechanical inspection. No emissions sticker - no tailpipe available for exhaust emissions sampling.

If you use a local shop, either stay with the car or leave clear instructions about how to turn on the car, shift gears and turn off the car. Also jack/lift instructions.

I used a local auto repair shop. No problems. They were thrilled since it was their first Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
You can ask your Service Center where they take new Teslas for inspection before delivery, or use a local inspection station.

Obviously, you only need mechanical inspection. No emissions sticker - no tailpipe available for exhaust emissions sampling.

If you use a local shop, either stay with the car or leave clear instructions about how to turn on the car, shift gears and turn off the car. Also jack/lift instructions.

I used a local auto repair shop. No problems. They were thrilled since it was their first Tesla.
I thought the final answer was that they didn’t ‘take new Teslas for inspection’ that new cars were automatically deemed to be ‘okay’ and that the sticker was just applied. Or is that a state by state thing? Now I’m confused. :D

When we got our S 60 (2014) we had to get a safety inspection ( PA ). Just had another one done a week ago.( 78,900 miles ) Did need new front breaks the problem is Tesla will not sell the parts to your local mechanic. So I purchased the parts ($720.00). Installation cost me $150.00.

My S60 is out of warranty so from hereon in my mechanic will do all the work. If the electronics go south then I have to return it to Tesla. And body work will go to Northeast Auto in Philly. Last I checked the labor rate (Tesla) it was $150.00 / hour.

First time I ever heard of a Tesla needing brakes.

I took mine to a local shop by my office in Queens, NYC. Same experience as NickFie, as they were thrilled to see a Tesla. I gave verbal instructions regarding being careful when lifting it and that a mistake would pierce a $30k battery and start a fire. They got it.

NY State has two types of inspections, one is $15 and the other is $35 and includes a full emission check. The Tesla only needs the safety one and it should be $15.

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
Just FYI, in NJ Tesla's aren't required to ever be inspected nor do they have an inspection sticker on the windshield.
That’s dumb. The inspection also looks at tire tread, front/rear light bulbs, blinkers, brake pads and other Safety items. Just because it doesn’t emit exhaust doesn’t mean the car is currently in compliance with all regulations.

When we got our S 60 (2014) we had to get a safety inspection ( PA ). Just had another one done a week ago.( 78,900 miles ) Did need new front breaks the problem is Tesla will not sell the parts to your local mechanic. So I purchased the parts ($720.00). Installation cost me $150.00.

My S60 is out of warranty so from hereon in my mechanic will do all the work. If the electronics go south then I have to return it to Tesla. And body work will go to Northeast Auto in Philly. Last I checked the labor rate (Tesla) it was $150.00 / hour.
Tesla SC on Long Island NY is 205/hour