TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Annual NYS inspection on LI

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Ken7, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Ken7

Ken7 Member

Does anyone know where to go for the annual NYS inspection on LI? I understand that the SC doesn’t do that work. I’m a bit nervous taking it to any shop that has the NYS Inspection logo and has never done one on a Tesla.

Thanks.

2. NickFie

NickFie Member

You can ask your Service Center where they take new Teslas for inspection before delivery, or use a local inspection station.

Obviously, you only need mechanical inspection. No emissions sticker - no tailpipe available for exhaust emissions sampling.

If you use a local shop, either stay with the car or leave clear instructions about how to turn on the car, shift gears and turn off the car. Also jack/lift instructions.

I used a local auto repair shop. No problems. They were thrilled since it was their first Tesla.

• Informative x 1
  3. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I thought the final answer was that they didn’t ‘take new Teslas for inspection’ that new cars were automatically deemed to be ‘okay’ and that the sticker was just applied. Or is that a state by state thing? Now I’m confused. :D

4. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

When we got our S 60 (2014) we had to get a safety inspection ( PA ). Just had another one done a week ago.( 78,900 miles ) Did need new front breaks the problem is Tesla will not sell the parts to your local mechanic. So I purchased the parts ($720.00). Installation cost me $150.00.

My S60 is out of warranty so from hereon in my mechanic will do all the work. If the electronics go south then I have to return it to Tesla. And body work will go to Northeast Auto in Philly. Last I checked the labor rate (Tesla) it was $150.00 / hour.

5. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

First time I ever heard of a Tesla needing brakes.

I took mine to a local shop by my office in Queens, NYC. Same experience as NickFie, as they were thrilled to see a Tesla. I gave verbal instructions regarding being careful when lifting it and that a mistake would pierce a $30k battery and start a fire. They got it.

NY State has two types of inspections, one is $15 and the other is $35 and includes a full emission check. The Tesla only needs the safety one and it should be $15.

• Informative x 1
  6. st50maint

st50maint Member

Did they raise the price recently? It used to be $10.

7. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

I just googled it and it is 10. I had mine done back in March and I did not remember the exact amount. Sorry.

8. st50maint

st50maint Member

I get mine done at Jiffy Lube of all places.

9. EdisonFire

EdisonFire Member

Just FYI, in NJ Tesla's aren't required to ever be inspected nor do they have an inspection sticker on the windshield.

10. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

That’s dumb. The inspection also looks at tire tread, front/rear light bulbs, blinkers, brake pads and other Safety items. Just because it doesn’t emit exhaust doesn’t mean the car is currently in compliance with all regulations.

11. st50maint

st50maint Member

12. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

13. wesley888

wesley888 Member

I took mine to local tire stores to do the NYS inspection. I used a few different one. STS Tire usually are quite busy. I also used firestone until our local one closed, and lately Mavis Discount Tire.

• Informative x 1
  14. Ken7

Ken7 Member

No problems with putting the car on a lift (assuming they did)?

15. st50maint

st50maint Member

There is not a lift as far as I can tell at most Jiffy Lubes.
    There is a pit underground from which that they can examine the underside of the car.
    I have been twice and both times they did nothing mechanical to the car.

• Informative x 1
  16. WATTS-UP

WATTS-UP Member

You don't have to pull the wheels to check the % of breaks or examine the rotors. Most shops only pull two wheels anyhow.