Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual Service on a CPO Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Folks,

I didn't see anything that matched my question exactly, so here I am posting about it.

I've owned my 2013 CPO S85 for just under a year. I couldn't be happier. I picked it up with 35k miles, now I have ~51k miles. I've had it in for service twice for warranty items and I'm taking my car in for a 12v battery replacement next week. I thought while I had Tesla on the phone, I would schedule the 1 year annual service for March (exactly 1 year of ownership & ~17k miles).

Tesla is saying they will be performing the "Year 4" service, at a cost of $900, because the car is over 50k miles. Is that really necessary since it was already "refurbished" at Tesla a year ago for the CPO program? The Service Advisor said the last annual service performed by the previous owner was Nov 2015, which I assume was the "Year 3" service.

I want the car to be maintained and in great working order for years to come, but for someone that did most of the regular maintenance on my ICE cars myself (oil changes, filter & wiper replacements, tire rotations), $900 is excessive and the wife isn't too happy about it!

Any similar experiences or advice?

I hear what you're saying but I have to think that the year 3 service would bring a car up to its best condition for that age, as would a year 4 service. IOW, the year 4 service is no less required nor any less extensive simply because the year 3 service was performed. Other than the year 3 items, the changes made as part of the CPO refurbishment were most likely cosmetic.

Also, I'm pretty sure that your CPO warranty is dependent upon your getting the annual services. (Unlike a new car warranty, which is not allowed to depend upon annual maintenance, extended warranties are allowed to be.)

The big difference on the 4 year service is the battery coolant change. It can't reasonably be done as a DIY so you're pretty much stuck for having it done. They claim it needs to be done at 4 years or 50k miles. You could try and see if they will do that ala-carte and do the rest of the service items yourself, but I've never heard of them agreeing to that. The only other things they do are key fob batteries, wipers, brake fluid, air filter and AC. The parts for it add up to like 100 bucks.

I agree I don't want to be doing this type of service myself. It sounds like they wouldn't have changed the fluid as part of the CPO refurbish and is required at this time. You're right that it was most likely all cosmetic improvements when it was traded in.

I guess the Coolant flush costs that much more $700+?

My CPO had 46k miles on it when I picked it up and they did the 50k service prior to my delivery. I was also told that services are recommended annually or 12,500 miles but not required for CPO warranty.

Also, I'm pretty sure that your CPO warranty is dependent upon your getting the annual services. (Unlike a new car warranty, which is not allowed to depend upon annual maintenance, extended warranties are allowed to be.)
Last I checked the wording between the two was virtually identical except they will not deal with some of the fit and finish items under CPO (wind noise, etc) though in practice they do. I did not see any difference in the wording related to service. That said I just checked online and my CPO only has the new warranty doc. associated with it - the copy of the CPO warranty I have was sent a long time ahead of my November purchase.

Thanks for the heads up - off to investigate.

First time hear about this, where did you get this info?

The issue was discussed here on TMC in a separate thread a few weeks (a month?) ago. I'll see if I can track it down.

<time passes>

Ok. It looks like I was wrong. I can't find the thread in which this was discussed but I just reviewed the service plan documentation and it makes no such requirement. I must have misread the elusive thread and interpreted speculation as fact. Sorry about that.

Last edited:
Also, I'm pretty sure that your CPO warranty is dependent upon your getting the annual services.
Actually not true. I just bought a CPO 2013 S85 last month and was specifically told that the service was NOT required by the warranty. Unlike other manufacturers, Tesla's CPO warranty has the same terms as the new vehicle warranty with the only exception being the battery warranty, which continues under the original terms of the new vehicle warranty.