Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Annual service price increased by 50%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the answer to this question:

Can you still purchase the extended warranty if you only perform the 25,000 and 50,000 mile services with Tesla, but find your own way to service the vehicle for the 12,500 and 37,500 mile service?

This is my plan - do the tire rotation and alignment check, wiper blades, wiper fluid, and cabin air filter on my own but still pay tesla for the 2 and 4 year services, and then I am planning on purchasing the extended warranty IF I have any concerns about the reliability of my car long term at that time.

That's not necessarily the best example. In most cases, warranty is voided if it can be shown that by neglecting to perform the service caused whatever the problem for the warranty claim to occur. You are not required to have the service performed by the dealership, but you have to have the service performed. For example in a Prius, if the engine dies in warranty, you would be covered so long as you had done regular oil changes (not necessarily at the dealership). However, if you never performed an oil change, but your radio dies, fixing the radio would be covered under warranty since oil changes have nothing to do with the radio.

Not the best example? Okay, here it is another way:

For the first two years of owning a Prius would you be comfortable not changing the oil, or doing any other service, and being able to rely on your warranty?

Now ask the same question about the first two years of owning a Tesla.

Only one costs you in required service if you want the peace of mind that a warranty provides. Sure, it may still apply if your engine fails and you never changed the oil, but do you really want to go through that hassle. Now what will Tesla say if you need a replacement and you didn't have the service plan done? (Other than we don't have an available appointment for 2 months!).

Ok guys another update. I just heard back from Tesla Tech Support, as I sent them an email complaining about the price increase. Turns out the prices have NOT increased, but the extra $149 was added as an optional but recommended alignment. The person I talked to in Dublin was either clueless about that, or wasn't aware it was optional.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
Unless you want the extended warranty. then you do have to service the car. Oh, and you can service that Prius at any independant shop for less and still maintain your warranty.

I never like to just ignore a manufacturers recommended service schedule just because it doesn't void my warranty. So its kind of a crazy argument for why Tesla's require "less service" than a Volt.

I asked about this specifically, in email, to the service center in Fremont and was specifically told that if I NEVER brought the car in for a service that I could still purchase the ESA and that issues that occur while under the ESA terms would not be denied by previously having missed the "recommended service intervals".

Still, I may be willing to roll the dice with the brakes as the brake fluid is clearly still in very good shape, but I won't chance that with the battery coolant.

Not the best example? Okay, here it is another way:

For the first two years of owning a Prius would you be comfortable not changing the oil, or doing any other service, and being able to rely on your warranty?

Now ask the same question about the first two years of owning a Tesla.

Only one costs you in required service if you want the peace of mind that a warranty provides. Sure, it may still apply if your engine fails and you never changed the oil, but do you really want to go through that hassle. Now what will Tesla say if you need a replacement and you didn't have the service plan done? (Other than we don't have an available appointment for 2 months!).
What is done during the regular Tesla service, that by skipping could result in something breaking down? I'll use the first service as an example. Clearly not replacing the cabin air filter, windshield wiper blades, or key fob batteries cannot result in anything mechanical breaking down. If you don't get the alignment check or rotate the tires, then your tires might wear faster, but this won't cause your door handle to stop working. The only remaining item is "Multipoint Inspection". I can understand requiring the battery coolant to be replaced to maintain the warranty on the battery, that's perfectly fine. But what do these services have to do with the MCU, or door handles, or sunroof, etc?

What is done during the regular Tesla service, that by skipping could result in something breaking down?

I think you nailed it when you said battery coolant - not that it would necessary cause a break down but I sure wouldn't want to test it. And that doesn't require annual service so you could skip the annual plan and just have that fluid changed when the time comes to do it.

Reactions: sorka and MIT_S60
Still, I may be willing to roll the dice with the brakes as the brake fluid is clearly still in very good shape, but I won't chance that with the battery coolant.

I guess its all about your personal level of risk. I will probably buy the service plan, but I am also starting at over 40k miles since I am buying a CPO. Those multi-point inspections might actually start turning up stuff since its a higher mileage car. My first service will probably be the battery coolant service, actually.

I guess its all about your personal level of risk. I will probably buy the service plan, but I am also starting at over 40k miles since I am buying a CPO. Those multi-point inspections might actually start turning up stuff since its a higher mileage car. My first service will probably be the battery coolant service, actually.

Actually, I'm very unlikely to buy the ESA. Once I hit 50K, I'll drive the Tesla full time rather than split the mileage between that and the Prius. At that point, it will be about getting as many miles as possible before the 8 years is up on the battery and DUs. I drive about 50K miles a year combined...i.e at that rate, the ESA would only last me one year and my long term plan is to make the S as low cost per mile as I can and I'll need to drive a lot of miles to do that.

Reactions: davidc18
Actually, I'm very unlikely to buy the ESA. Once I hit 50K, I'll drive the Tesla full time rather than split the mileage between that and the Prius. At that point, it will be about getting as many miles as possible before the 8 years is up on the battery and DUs. I drive about 50K miles a year combined...i.e at that rate, the ESA would only last me one year and my long term plan is to make the S as low cost per mile as I can and I'll need to drive a lot of miles to do that.

I feel your pain (although not to that level). I drive 25-30k a year now, so if I had the option to buy the ESA, I probably wouldn't do it either. It is super-expensive for that short of a time. But I figure I will be doing the service visits every 12.5K , so might as well get them at the discounted rate, even if I will blow through the 4 year pre-paid service plan in 2 years.

(At least I THINK they still let CPO customers buy the pre-paid service plans. I know I can't buy the ESA, but I don't need it with the CPO warranty taking me almost to 100k)

Ok guys another update. I just heard back from Tesla Tech Support, as I sent them an email complaining about the price increase. Turns out the prices have NOT increased, but the extra $149 was added as an optional but recommended alignment. The person I talked to in Dublin was either clueless about that, or wasn't aware it was optional.

I think the fact that they just automatically add an alignment without even seeing if the car is out of alignment shows that Tesla service is just as scummy as the worst of the traditional dealerships.

Reactions: whttiger25
I'm following what @sorka is doing pretty much to the T.

I'm at 30k miles now, the car is about 18 months old. I'm thinking by year 2.5-3, I'll be at 50k, and that'll be my first service, and I'll pay them for the 4 year service to include the coolant.

Though my 50k service will be expensive.... $900 service + $149 alignment + I'm hoping my tires last till ~50k so that's another $1,200 for tires + mounting/etc.

Who ever said maintenance on a Tesla is cheap ;)

I'm following what @sorka is doing pretty much to the T.

I'm at 30k miles now, the car is about 18 months old. I'm thinking by year 2.5-3, I'll be at 50k, and that'll be my first service, and I'll pay them for the 4 year service to include the coolant.

Though my 50k service will be expensive.... $900 service + $149 alignment + I'm hoping my tires last till ~50k so that's another $1,200 for tires + mounting/etc.

Who ever said maintenance on a Tesla is cheap ;)

I'm in a similar boat. Last year all my brakes, calipers, pads, and rotors were replaced, which would necessitate a flush. My drive unit has been replaced multiple times, so that flushes the transmission fluid. What's left is the battery coolant. Well, my battery pack made a trip back to Freemont last year for refurbishment, including new contactors, new venting, and some new casing. Unknown whether any cells were replaced. When reinstalling my battery, my invoice has "Ethylene Glycol Coolant - 50/50 mix - 1 gallon (1029320-00-A)". What I don't know is if that meant a flush and fill, or simply topping off. That said, if I restart the clock there, I'm have a long way to go before either the brakes or batter coolant needs any work.

That sounds like a huge amount. You sure the units were quarts?

My service invoice has the following part on it (bolding mine):
FR BRAKE CALIPER ASSY M12 LH (1003160-00-C) QTY 1
BRAKE FLUID DOW SERVICE 1 QT (1060099-00-A) QTY 2
FR BRAKE CALIPER ASSY N12 RH (1003161-00-C) QTY 1
RR BRAKE CALIPER ASSY LH (W/ pads) (6006434-00-C) QTY 1
RR BRAKE CALIPER ASSY RH (W/ pads) (6006438-00-C) QTY 1
PARKING BRAKE CALIPER ASSY LH (1021252-00-B) QTY 1
PARKING BRAKE CALIPER ASSY RH (1021250-00-C) QTY 1
REAR BRAKE ROTOR - OUTER HAT AS CAST (6006431-00-D) QTY 2
FRONT BRAKE ROTOR WITH AS-CAST OUTER HAT (1025099-00-b) QTY 2

Here is the current Tesla fee schedule ...

upload_2016-12-5_22-28-44.png

Does anyone know the answer to this question:

Can you still purchase the extended warranty if you only perform the 25,000 and 50,000 mile services with Tesla, but find your own way to service the vehicle for the 12,500 and 37,500 mile service?

This is my plan - do the tire rotation and alignment check, wiper blades, wiper fluid, and cabin air filter on my own but still pay tesla for the 2 and 4 year services, and then I am planning on purchasing the extended warranty IF I have any concerns about the reliability of my car long term at that time.

I asked about this specifically, in email, to the service center in Fremont and was specifically told that if I NEVER brought the car in for a service that I could still purchase the ESA and that issues that occur while under the ESA terms would not be denied by previously having missed the "recommended service intervals".

Tesla just states that the ESA warranty must be purchased within 30 days of your original warranty’s expiration.
No mention of a prior service/inspection requirement. :cool:

upload_2016-12-5_22-37-31.png