TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Annual Service Thoughts

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JerryNycom, Apr 26, 2013.

?

Will you get an ANNUAL SERVICE?

1. Absolutely! Its a MUST!

47 vote(s)
    53.4%
  2. Negative! Dont need it

12 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Waiting to see what happens @12k miles

29 vote(s)
    33.0%
  1. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Now that Elon spoke about the awesome loaner car program and they mention that the annual service check up is NOT mandatory, I was wondering if people are going to opt out getting it done. I feel my P85 will deserve a "day at the spa" to check things and now that I can get a Roadster delivered as a loaner, I actually am looking forward to it. Thoughts? Here's from the Tesla web:

Annual Service Contract

Unlike gasoline cars, an electric car doesn’t need oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, smog checks, etc., which are only needed if the mode of locomotion involves burning oil derived products. For an electric car, you don’t even need to replace the brake pads, because most of the braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery.

As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/creating-world%E2%80%99s-best-service-and-warranty-program-0

2. Kipernicus

Kipernicus Model S Res#P1440

Because it is still essentially version 1.0 of a totally new product I will get 4 years of service.

3. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Well I plan on driving 20-25k miles a year. I will probably bring my car in on an annual basis. But not the semi-annual basis the 12.5k mile service interval would have set me up on.

4. Andrew

Andrew Model S #6151

We already prepaid the $1,900 for our first four checkups... and I'm okay with that. Elon's blog post today mentioned "hardware upgrades" as part of service, which I will certainly find hard to resist! :)

I wonder, will the software updates be provided if you don't do the annual service? I believe they've always said that the $600/year covers the software updates.

I'm also still hoping they'll include 3G/data with that $600/year...which I think would certainly make that annual price point much more reasonable.

5. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

I hadn't thought of your last point before, but why not.

6. Alpha

Alpha Member

One of the choices on the poll should be:
    "I'm not sure what the heck I'm going to do, my head is spinning!" because I think that's where most of us are!

7. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

So funny Alpha almost did exactly that!

8. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Cannot do the poll at this time, need to know more. If you do not bring the car in for yearly service visits, do you still get all updates, both software and hardware. I would think that if you have a warranty problem and bring the car in for that, they would then do the above updates at that time. Software is done wifi, so,it would just be hardware issues. Once we get more detailed info then I can make a decision.

9. JerryNycom

JerryNycom Member

Hey Merrill which hardware updates do you mean?

10. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Yep, +1.

11. Ven Rala

Ven Rala Member

Service contract for $600 or less per year (if getting the 4 year plan), for a car that costs $70-100k? It seems little to pay for piece of mind. Then you don't have to worry what Tesla will cover/not cover under warranty. They pretty much have to cover everything (except tires) between the warranty and service plan. Plus a performance 85 when my 60 is in the shop, I like that!

12. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I thought this part was interesting:

So we'll get hardware upgrades, for the price for the price of annual service? Like parking sensors, of ACC? That would be great! But otherwise, I don't see how an annual service visit is worth $600.

13. JackA

JackA Member

I am buying 8 years of service on the assumption that the cost is now locked in. My expectation is that as the maintenance program matures those managing it will identify the need for more revenue from service visits and raise the asking price. Because I will for sure put more than 12,500 miles/year on the car I am taking the position that Tesla must be less focused on a mileage number and more on a calendar count. Having prepaid service is one lever for making my point to our service center manager.

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

This could be a significant benefit. We're probably not talking about feature upgrades, but rather reliability and performance updates (by performance I mean better operation, not faster 0-60!). My Roadster has had the HVAC system condenser/fan unit upgraded. It has had the PEM and motor fan upgraded, plus a shroud to help protect it from ingesting road salt etc. - and that required replacing the rear sway bar. All of that was done at no extra cost.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Technically, it's a 1.31.11 product. Unless you want to include the Roadster, in which case I'm not sure what we call it. ;)

16. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I just was thinking about parts of the vehicle that they improve and make changes to that involve hardware. Could be anything that they feel needed improvement and decide to make those changes, usually based on a vin# ranges. Not sure exactly what Tesla means specifically, Elon made that comment today relative to the service visits.

17. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Did the Roadster have something equivalent to the Model S's Service Plan and is that why you got those upgrades?

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

No. You just pay the $600 annual service every year.

19. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

For example the door handles, which got improved. I'm sure those with the old door handles and the service plan will get them replaced during the first annual service.

20. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

Correct. Even though I do not have my 'S' yet, my future service manager and I talked about that very thing yesterday.