TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anomalous charging rate reporting

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by billarnett, Mar 10, 2015.

1. billarnett

billarnett Member

As I was finishing my charge at the Fremont Supercharger today I noticed that it kept going for a while after reaching 100%, though of course at a very slow rate. But the charging rate display was weird:

IMG_3411.jpg

I didn't believe that it was really charging at 131 mi/hr so I switched the units to "Energy":

IMG_3410.jpg

Now it correctly shows 8kW which is more like 25 mi/hr. Where did that 131 come from? Anyone else seen anything like this?

2. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

The mph charging rate is the average for the charging session and the kW is instantaneous.

3. Kalud

Kalud Member

... and the last portion of the charge once at 100% is pack balancing and can last for 30-60min at low Amps. If you're ready to go there is no need to wait anymore you won't gain anymore noticeable range.

4. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

This.

5. AndreyATC

AndreyATC Member

Anyone knows what the charging rate is for the last 20 miles before 100%?

6. David99

David99 Active Member

It goes down gradually, it doesn't stay at a fixed rate. It's been a while that I did a 100% charge at a Supercharger and I didn't keep track exactly what the rate was at any given state of charge. There are some videos on Youtube where people filmed the entire time of charging at a Supercharger. It's about as interesting as watching paint dry, but you could find one of these and scroll forward to the last 20 miles and see what the rate is :)

7. billarnett

billarnett Member

It that something that should be done now to keep it balanced? What does that mean, anyway?