Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anonymous gross income poll of M3 reservation holders

M3 reservation holder, what is your gross annual household income?

• <$25,000 USD/year

Votes: 10 2.7%
  • $25,001-$35,000/year

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • $35,001-$50,000/year

Votes: 9 2.5%
  • $50,001-$75,000/year

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • $75,001-$100,000/year

Votes: 33 9.0%
  • $100,001-$125,000/year

Votes: 46 12.5%
  • $125,001-$150,000/year

Votes: 49 13.4%
  • >$150,001/year

Votes: 193 52.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
I am curious and thought an anonymous poll would be a good way to get more information.

Obviously current configurations of Model 3 run from $35,000 with the base model up to over $60,000 for a top spec car that is ordered with the autopilot, FSD, paint and wheels.

Keep in mind that the poll question does not take into account whether $7500 federal tax credit will exist on any purchases.

If you are a person without a "regular" gross family income then please approximate your income based on your current net worth and investments and what you choose your annual income to be.

Reactions: Breezy
This is quite useless poll. In each country, the cost of living is drasticaly different. Where I live, the cost of living is 4 times cheaper then in US but my income is higher then avarage American. Also you are interested in household income. So you are putting income of singles and parents with kids and grandparents in same household together. What on earth is this pool good for?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Anyway, most people here already own another Tesla.
St Louis Fed says median 2016 HH income US was $59,000.
10% exceed $175,000.
I suspect almost everyone likely to buy any new cars with MSRP >$35,000 will have HHI >150000. Excepting students and people just starting careers.

Then think about people who participate in Tesla fora, skews up again.

I’d be very surprised if >20% were less.

I recall median HHI of an entry level econobox I evaluated fir the MFR that had median HHI of $91,000. That was using 2001 data. Admittedly about 30% of their sales were financed subprime by the captive. Median HHI of reservation holders, globally is almost certain to be above $150,000, even in countries with much lower COL and salaries. Who else will deposit, interest free, US$1,000 deposit for an unknown product to be delivered an undefined future time?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
I think this represents the model of the typical early adopter. Right now we see the people that want the higher optioned cars and be the first to get them. After they reach full production and the cars become more common I would not be surprised to see the lower income earners with a higher representation as the base models become available.

Dan

Reactions: dragonxt
this poll definitely helps me better understand all of the “just buy a Model S” responses to questions expressing concern about the Model 3.

Our combined income (higher ed & non-profit jobs) allows us to get by okay in Seattle proper with a kid, car, and home, but a base 3 with full federal tax credit represents the top of our car budget.

Last edited:
this poll definitely helps me better understand all of the “just buy a Model S” responses to questions expressing concern about the Model 3.

Our combined income (higher ed & non-profit jobs) allows us to get by okay in Seattle proper with a kid, car, and home, but a base 3 with full federal tax credit represents the top of our car budget.
You have just stated the intense appeal of vehicles in the Audi A4/Mercedes C/BMW 3/Tesla Model 3 category. Because of the enormous range of options in teh category ($35,000-$90,000 more or less). The category appeal to people with very tight budgets and people who are very well off but don't want a giant vehicle. From years past I recall this category having a Muti-modal HHI distribution like no other category. The age distributions are multi-modal too.

I'm sure when we reflect on this four years from now the Model 3 owners will look very closely like those others in a similar category. My big question is what happens to the category itself once the flood of BEV's show up in teh same price points from these manufacturers, Volvo, Jaguar, Land Rover and the others we don't know too much about yet. GM, Ford, Nissan are all players using their premium marques, while we can bet that the Chinese (not only JLR), Koreans and Japanese will all be coming on strong. The demographics will be lots fo fun to watch.

Reactions: 206er