Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another “Will FUSC transfer?” question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

I know this topic has been done to death, but asking anyway in case there’s any expertise out there ...

I went to look at a 2016 S this morning. The (current, and second) owner bought it from a (non-Tesla) dealership in August 2020 - Carfax notes it as having been offered for sale by that dealership in June. I’m assuming the first owner traded it in; both owner 1 and owner 2 are listed on CarFax as ‘Personal’, not lease, and there is no auction history noted.

The seller tells me he has enjoyed FUSC since he got the car. The charging screen states “no recent supercharging”, and the seller’s account page states “Free Unlimited Supercharging”. But I’m concerned that the previous dealer sale could mean the FUSC is removed in an “audit” at some point, even though Tesla has not at any point taken possession of the car.

So ... is there any way of verifying that the FUSC will transfer? Should I ask the seller to confirm with Tesla? Will they even provide a useful response?

Thanks in advance for any advice

JB

I know this topic has been done to death, but asking anyway in case there’s any expertise out there ...

It's all fine and dandy for a used Tesla car owner to retain those software-enabled features but the issue is if Tesla "accidentally" removed the feature, what can the current owner do?

The only recourse the current owner can do is to prove that it was paid as in the Motor Vehicle Agreement:

FreeUnlimitedSupercharging.png

Without that, good luck to you!

Reactions: FlatSix911
Hi all

I went to look at a 2016 S this morning. The (current, and second) owner bought it from a (non-Tesla) dealership in August 2020 - Carfax notes it as having been offered for sale by that dealership in June. I’m assuming the first owner traded it in; both owner 1 and owner 2 are listed on CarFax as ‘Personal’, not lease, and there is no auction history noted.

The seller tells me he has enjoyed FUSC since he got the car. The charging screen states “no recent supercharging”, and the seller’s account page states “Free Unlimited Supercharging”. But I’m concerned that the previous dealer sale could mean the FUSC is removed in an “audit” at some point, even though Tesla has not at any point taken possession of the car.

So ... is there any way of verifying that the FUSC will transfer? Should I ask the seller to confirm with Tesla? Will they even provide a useful response?

Thanks in advance for any advice

JB
I'm not sure you'll get a solid answer to your question. As you correctly note, Tesla has been removing FUSC when a sale goes through a dealership and I believe started doing this prior to 8/20. Perhaps it was not registered such that Tesla would catch and they clearly missed it because the current owner is enjoying FUSC. IMHO, the odds are in your favor to retain the FUSC since you're buying from an individual and 8 months have passed since the last sale.

It's all fine and dandy for a used Tesla car owner to retain those software-enabled features but the issue is if Tesla "accidentally" removed the feature, what can the current owner do?

The only recourse the current owner can do is to prove that it was paid as in the Motor Vehicle Agreement:

View attachment 644197

Without that, good luck to you!

My 2015' purchase agreement just says "supercharging capable". Nowhere on any document that I have does it say free unlimited supercharging. It doesn't say it on my account or anything else. The only thing I have is an email from support that says my FUSC will transfer if I sell it to a third party.

If you bought your car that went through a third party dealer or even from Tesla itself between owners, they will remove FUSC at some point. If it isn't already removed, it they just messed up and somehow missed it.

My 2015' purchase agreement just says "supercharging capable". Nowhere on any document that I have does it say free unlimited supercharging. It doesn't say it on my account or anything else. The only thing I have is an email from support that says my FUSC will transfer if I sell it to a third party.

If you bought your car that went through a third party dealer or even from Tesla itself between owners, they will remove FUSC at some point. If it isn't already removed, it they just messed up and somehow missed it.

You said that well.

Many early cars were grandfathered to have Free Unlimited Supercharging. And since Tesla says it ties to VIN, many used car owners enjoy that as well.

The only footnote is: Those early cars do not have that feature legally documented in the Motor Vehicle Agreement so used car owners are at the mercy of Tesla's goodwill.

It's fine that used car owners still get the feature but if by some mistakes, some accidents, that feature was removed unilaterally by Tesla, it'll be an uphill fight to get that restored if there's no Motor Vehicle Agreement to prove it.

Without indicated in Motor Vehicle Agreement, Tesla has the right to provide to the original owner goodwill, bonus, promotions that go beyond what it's legally obligated in the document. Once the original owner is no longer in the picture, the original goodwill, bonus, promotions... can be revoked at any time because Tesla has no legal obligation as indicated by the Motor Vehicle Agreement.