Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another 2 year anniversary reflection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

efusco

Moderator - Model S & X forums
I don't have the sort of impressive data of some, nor the ridiculous amount of miles driven of others, but I think my 2 year anniversary story still has some significance.
Given that I live in an area still at least 260 miles from the closest Supercharger (and that just recently opened), the fact that I have averaged 22,000 miles per year over the past. Much of that was local commuting, not infrequently in the 80-100 miles per day range (4 kids in the house with many activities). I still haven't wandered more than about 240 road miles from home and can count on one hand the number of times I've had to use a different vehicle for a trip.

I have had a lot of the early adopter issues with the car. I won't detail the list, but almost all the well popularized issues (ie door handles and drive unit) as well as a multitude of other minor issues. That said, the car has never left me stranded or had any functionality issues.

My range seems to be holding up--though it is hard to tell. I charge to 90% most days. My last range charge still got me to over 260 miles rated and within the past few months I've seen as high as 272 miles rated on a range charge. My daily is around 231-234 @90% (ie. max daily range).

Disappointments (some are fair, some are not):
1)Lack of Supercharger development in my area. I've simply run out of patience and am frankly baffled that we were not a higher priority--not because of Tesla owner density, but because we sit, literally, dead center in the middle of the country and are a N/S and E/W crossroads here in Missouri. This area is a spot almost everyone needs to travel through to get to anywhere when crossing the Mississippi or going from North to South through the middle of the country. Given the power I'd add 5 Superchargers at a minimum and ideally 6 (The 3 on I-70 (STL, KC and Columbia), 2 on I-44 (Fort Leonard Wood, Joplin) and the optional one in Jefferson City to cover the middle of the state).

2)Lack of development of long asked for features such as expanded media interface and Valet mode. Come on, it just can't be that hard.

3)Tire wear--I do not drive aggressively (usually), but have struggled to get 20k miles out of a set of expensive tires. Anything I would have saved on gasoline seems to be going into tires.

4)Continued communication issues--While communication with my local service folks has been outstanding, contact with sales has been spotty, contact with the "big dogs" is almost non-existent. A few members here seem to have an inside track, but I'm not one of those people. (see above regarding Superchargers).

Still, all in all, very very pleased with this car. Every time I'm forced to drive a gas vehicle it feels so foreign and old fashioned. Sound like a rattle trap, and just seem so sluggish and lacking. It's so easy to adapt to the instantaneous acceleration for moving through traffic. I do still wonder, a bit, about the battery and what to expect. I certainly hope that it had settled into a much slower degradation rate and from my observations it seem that is the case. I still have my Toyota Prius after 11 years on the original battery with 140k miles--so I'm optimistic and can even live with some reduced range if/when the Supercharger network is fully built out. But I'd love to drive this car for at least 8 more years if at all possible.
image1.JPG

Thanks for the additional details.

After one year ownership, we seem to be accumulating very close to the same annual mileage as you. One of the questions we're struggling with is the extended warranty. For us, the warranty will come due in less than another year, as that's when we'll likely be approaching 50k miles. This, unfortunately, means that we'll be spending $4k to warranty our car for just another 24 months. In light of the infinite mileage warranty on battery and drive train, the value proposition for the extended warranty seems considerably diluted. Nonetheless, we're reluctant to skip the warranty.

There's a huge part of me that wants to just put the $4k in savings (or TSLA?) and earmark it out for repairs that might occur out of warranty. Doing so affords the potential to save the warranty cost while keeping a $4k cushion in reserve.

@edusco, I am impressed that after 44K miles and charging to "90% most days" you can get rated range values of 260 to 272 miles when doing a full charge! It appears that you have had almost no battery degradation.

You didn't mention if you charge at 40A/240V or 80A/240V or something else. That would be interesting information

Thanks for posting.

@edusco, I am impressed that after 44K miles and charging to "90% most days" you can get rated range values of 260 to 272 miles when doing a full charge! It appears that you have had almost no battery degradation.

You didn't mention if you charge at 40A/240V or 80A/240V or something else. That would be interesting information

Thanks for posting.
I have an 80amp HPWC and typically leave it at 80A, but once in a while I decide to drop it to 40 for a while...but I'd say that 90% of my home charging is at 80A.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the additional details.

After one year ownership, we seem to be accumulating very close to the same annual mileage as you. One of the questions we're struggling with is the extended warranty. For us, the warranty will come due in less than another year, as that's when we'll likely be approaching 50k miles. This, unfortunately, means that we'll be spending $4k to warranty our car for just another 24 months. In light of the infinite mileage warranty on battery and drive train, the value proposition for the extended warranty seems considerably diluted. Nonetheless, we're reluctant to skip the warranty.

There's a huge part of me that wants to just put the $4k in savings (or TSLA?) and earmark it out for repairs that might occur out of warranty. Doing so affords the potential to save the warranty cost while keeping a $4k cushion in reserve.
My VIN was 1267, having been down the early adopter road before I felt that the extended warranty was a must due to the various things that change. In your position it is a bigger dilemma I think, because the quality should be improved after the first year's growing pains and the reduced likelihood of problems for you and the limited amount of time that warranty will have value to you.

Rockster, keep in mind the infinite mile warranty applies only on the motor and battery. So if your center console goes bad (as has happened with the Edmunds long term car) you are on your own and that in itself is pretty expensive. Also I don't think air suspension is covered by the infinite mile warranty.