Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ANOTHER 3-5 Weeks?!?! (Bad News Thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Casablanca

*canceled* 24 M3LR, ultra red/black/18
Aug 24, 2017
Arizona
Ordered my MY Performance white/white on 7/19 (cash purchase). Watching the tracker others with same build have received delivery despite ordering after me. Now today I get a text saying another 3-5 weeks.

This is my 3rd Tesla (2014 and 2017 MS’s). I have such a strong love/hate relationship with Tesla. I absolutely love the cars, despite some bumps in the road. Thoroughly detest their service. Those that were around towards the beginning remember how they used to treat us with superior service. So far from that now.

What’s the hold up? Did they slow down performance models to push through more LR models for end of quarter stock performance? Desperately trying to get added to the S&P? Anyone know anything? If not, feel free to share in the frustration.

I got the same text today, but my order is just the regular AWD trim. So I don't think they're slowing down Performance production in particular. My speculation is just that they're probably under promising. If you're in California, it'll most likely be less than 3-5 wks from today.

I too just received the 3-5 week text blast about 45 minutes ago. We have a Y Performance Red/White on order on 8/6/20. We live here in SoCal so the time frame they are stating looks to just coincide with the end of Q3. Seems like its just a blanket statement text that essentially is telling me “you’ll get it by the end of the quarter...”

I ordered our MY Performance Black/White on 8/20 and just got the 3-5 week texted. Seems to be inline with what my OA told me when i placed the order. He said they will trickle in for the next two weeks and then full truck loads after that until end of Q3.

My speculation is just that they're probably under promising. If you're in California, it'll most likely be less than 3-5 wks from today.
There is speculation elsewhere on this forum that West Coast deliveries go up in volume toward the end of the quarter (i.e., next month). The delivery spreadsheet does seem to show the majority of recently assigned VINs going outside California. I'm at 24 days since ordering a LR AWD with a black interior and no tow hitch. Two weeks ago, I got a "5 to 7 weeks" text, which would put me in the second half of September.

Got the same text, 3-5 weeks from today. My order was AWD/Black/MSM/19 on 7/8. Two weeks ago the text was 2-5 weeks. Tesla should just make a single blanket estimate "you might get your car by the end of the quarter". All these changing estimates seem to have no meaning.

Reactions: stlclint
There is speculation elsewhere on this forum that West Coast deliveries go up in volume toward the end of the quarter (i.e., next month). The delivery spreadsheet does seem to show the majority of recently assigned VINs going outside California. I'm at 24 days since ordering a LR AWD with a black interior and no tow hitch. Two weeks ago, I got a "5 to 7 weeks" text, which would put me in the second half of September.
Former employee, can confirm local deliveries are backloaded to EOQ. Consider that for S/X Tesla is also optimizing for overseas shipments. There are always exceptions but there is no question that this is the general strategy to maximize quarterly deliveries.

Reactions: TBigSur
Former employee, can confirm local deliveries are backloaded to EOQ. Consider that for S/X Tesla is also optimizing for overseas shipments. There are always exceptions but there is no question that this is the general strategy to maximize quarterly deliveries.

Thanks. That makes total sense. Absolutely can see Tesla doing that. Can't knock them for maximizing sold units but it really sucks when your order is taken for granted like that. It makes solid business sense but prioritizing an order that was placed a month after someone else's order is a really awful thing to do to their loyal buyers. They know there aren't viable alternatives in the marketplace and they can get away with these practices.