Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another 3 SR+ vs LR AWD thread with a twist

Which car?

• Newer SR+ with FSD

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • Older/used LR AWD with AP

Votes: 23 79.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two cars on the same lot that I've placed an order for and was wondering if Tesla owners had an opinion. Both are blue with aero wheels. Full specs:

2019 SR+ w/ FSD - $42552
In-policy return, demo unit -- sold "like-new"
2800 miles

2018 LR AWD w/ AP - $40775
Used, sold "as-is"
15k+ miles
Light scratches and marks (unsure how noticeable as I won't be able to see the car until Friday), but overall in solid condition
Have yet to clarify HW but assuming 2.5

I don't have a charger at home. Probably can install one, but I have a supercharger right nearby and free charging elsewhere (+ at work when we return to the office). I do take road trips (Santa Barbara to Big Sur/San Diego/Vegas/SF). I can't afford FSD on the LR as of now and I was really excited for it, but worried I'll have an issue with range given my driving habits.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't all Teslas upgrade to AP for $2k? And I believe there is no "upgrade price" from AP to FSD -- it's still $8k. Again, this is just what I've read. I'm not a Tesla owner so you all would know better, but that was my understanding.

A 2018 Model 3 with basic autopilot? Might want to confirm if it's EAP (Enhanced Auto Pilot), because basic autopilot didn't exist until March of 2019.

Sorry for the double post -- answer here: All used vehicles with Enhanced Autopilot Hardware will require now $7,000* for FSD software but will have the standard highway Autopilot capabilities enabled. They basically remove EAP features from the car so that you're forced to buy FSD and enable standard Autopilot features.

• Love
Reactions: jakestgermain
I have two cars on the same lot that I've placed an order for and was wondering if Tesla owners had an opinion. Both are blue with aero wheels. Full specs:

2019 SR+ w/ FSD - $42552
In-policy return, demo unit -- sold "like-new"
2800 miles

2018 LR AWD w/ AP - $40775
Used, sold "as-is"
15k+ miles
Light scratches and marks (unsure how noticeable as I won't be able to see the car until Friday), but overall in solid condition
Have yet to clarify HW but assuming 2.5

I don't have a charger at home. Probably can install one, but I have a supercharger right nearby and free charging elsewhere (+ at work when we return to the office). I do take road trips (Santa Barbara to Big Sur/San Diego/Vegas/SF). I can't afford FSD on the LR as of now and I was really excited for it, but worried I'll have an issue with range given my driving habits.

You basically say "I need as much range as I can get" with the two things I bolded. Dont buy a car you will regret, especially given your current situation. Get the LR car. Even better, look for a LR private party (since you seem to be ok with used cars) and find one with EAP. A private party sale with EAP would still have it, and EAP is "most" of FSD at this point.

Reactions: EVNation
Do you know the vin or build date of the 2018 model? If it's late 2018, I would absolutely go with that. If early 2018, it may have the less comfortable seats or suspension, dimmer headlights (?), and other missing refinements that would make me consider the SR more.

Last edited:
Reactions: nomis_nehc
for comparison I have 35K on my 2018, so that's not a lot of miles.
I don't use the full range most of the time, but use the heck out of the capacity way more that I thought I would.
Get the LR
Its not just the range, its not caring about sentry mode, or cabin preconditioning, daytripping etc etc.
If you want a car to just drive and worry way less - its the LR every time
For reference I went from a LEAF with 80 mile range to the 3LR, I'm very familiar with never having the range I wanted. . . .

Do you know the vin or build date of the 2018 model? If it's late 2018, I would absolutely go with that. If early 2018, it may have the less comfortable seats or suspension, dimmer headlights (?), and other missing refinements that would make me consider the SR more.

It's AWD so it can't be early 2018, they weren't available till the 2nd half of the year (same with the P)

• Informative
Reactions: zhu-
Frankly, I simply can not understand the angst that people go through to try to make a decision on "car with lesser range and slower but FSD" and "car with more range but no FSD.

The reason I cant understand it is because FSD can be added later. Battery capacity can not be added later. Since one can save money and add the other feature "later" even if "later" is in a year or two, I dont see what the hangup is, between the two.

If one is saying " I simply dont need the range, so SR+ with FSD or SR+ without" that is a different discussion. For me anyway, its a super easy, simple decision, because one way I can have both, even if its later, and the other way I simply can not.

This is coming from someone who has FSD and happens to like it. This is different than the discussion of "is it worth it" which I am not touching. The angst would make a lot more sense if it was like most cars and you could simply never add it after purchase. THEN you might have to actually choose one or the other. Right now, a person doesnt have to "choose one or the other". They can have both, if they take the car with more range now, and FSD "later" if money is the issue for FSD.

go for range. I have a LR RWD December 2017 build (VIN 3xxx) and had a lot of concern for seats and other refinements. They get overblown on this forum. My seats are fine for me (5'10 170lbs). Never heard of this headlight issue before. And my car comes with homelink and a few other things that I think are missing from newer models