Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another adaptor to charge a Roadster from an HPWC, but why...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

See Quick Charge Power | Featured Products

This company, Quick Charge Power, makes an adaptor cable that goes from a Tesla HPWC charging cable to a J1772 plug. The product is called a “JDaptor”. The web page states “The JDapter allows a Tesla AC powering charging station to recharge any J1772 electric vehicle, including almost any non-Telsa electric car in the United States.”

Oddly, the company chose to show their product on their website being used to charge a Roadster. Since you cannot plug a J1772 cable into a Roadster without an adaptor, the website photo appears to show the company’s product connected to a Henry Sharp CAN JR which is connected to the Roadster charging port.

So the sequence shown in the photo (below) appears to be: HPWC > JDaptor > CAN JR > Roadster

The same thing could be accomplished more simply in this way: HPWC > CAN SR > Roadster (of course a Tesla Roadster J1772 adaptor could be substituted for the CAN SR)

It is unclear to me why Quick Charge Power chose to show a Roadster being charged with their product. Maybe because they think Roadsters look cool, though I would bet very few EV owners would look at that photo and be able to identify the car shown as a Tesla Roadster, particularly given that the trunk lid is raised.

Certainly no Roadster owner would use a JDaptor in the manner portrayed. If the Roadster owner owned a CAN JR they would surely be aware that they could buy a CAN SR and thereby avoid buying the JDaptor.

Great looking silver Roadster though, with the CF wrapped charge port door and black wheels! :cool:

EF116070-AA6D-427B-946D-CCF43A3BB15A.png

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Mark77a
See Quick Charge Power | Featured Products

This company, Quick Charge Power, makes an adaptor cable that goes from a Tesla HPWC charging cable to a J1772 plug. The product is called a “JDaptor”. The web page states “The JDapter allows a Tesla AC powering charging station to recharge any J1772 electric vehicle, including almost any non-Telsa electric car in the United States.”

Oddly, the company chose to show their product on their website being used to charge a Roadster. Since you cannot plug a J1772 cable into a Roadster without an adaptor, the website photo appears to show the company’s product connected to a Henry Sharp CAN JR which is connected to the Roadster charging port.

So the sequence shown in the photo (below) appears to be: HPWC > JDaptor > CAN JR > Roadster

The same thing could be accomplished more simply in this way: HPWC > CAN SR > Roadster (of course a Tesla Roadster J1772 adaptor could be substituted for the CAN SR)

It is unclear to me why Quick Charge Power chose to show a Roadster being charged with their product. Maybe because they think Roadsters look cool, though I would bet very few EV owners would look at that photo and be able to identify the car shown as a Tesla Roadster, particular given that the trunk lid is raised.

Certainly no Roadster owner would use a JDaptor in the manner portrayed. If the Roadster owner owned a CAN JR they would surely be aware that they could buy a CAN SR and thereby avoid buying the JDaptor.

Great looking silver Roadster though, with the CF wrapped charge port door and black wheels! :cool:

View attachment 258677

It's marketing... I'm sure @TonyWilliams is aware of how silly that looks to experienced Roadster owners.

I think that’s the real CF charge port door that used to be for sale on eBay. Always bugged me that the weave didn’t follow the same direction as Tesla’s CF parts. o_O

But on a related note, this gave me several laughs this morning. Just...wow.

I’m wondering how many faults were on the VDS (or if this method even WORKS to charge a Roadster in the first place). It’s likely just for looks.

I think that’s the real CF charge port door that used to be for sale on eBay. Always bugged me that the weave didn’t follow the same direction as Tesla’s CF parts. o_O

But on a related note, this gave me several laughs this morning. Just...wow.

I’m wondering how many faults were on the VDS (or if this method even WORKS to charge a Roadster in the first place). It’s likely just for looks.

QCP builds quality parts. It will work, just silly to go through this many adapters. Just carry a CAN JR and SR and be good with it.

Now if you want to charge faster, then pick up one of the last remaining JdeMO that QCP made for Roadsters

Reactions: DeedWest