Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Anniversary Thread - with data

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR-RWD, Silver Metallic, EAP, August 2018 build, 18” tires Aeros off, delivered September 23, 2018

I cannot believe I have had this amazing car for a year now. I still get a rush every time I get in the driver’s seat. The car drives just as good today as when new. I have not had a single problem, unless you count a couple of bugs with updates that were fixed on the next update. The only maintenance has been DIY tire rotation every 5k miles. I do plan to change Cabin Air Filters at 15k miles.

I lost count of the feature improvements from OTA updates. What other car manufacturer keeps their cars up to date with current production models?

Lifetime Trip Meter Data:

14,864 miles
3,539 kWH (Trip Meter)
238 WH/mile
Average cost per mile = $0.02 [Mainly home charging @ $0.066/kWH + Supercharging]

I added a kWH meter on the breaker that feeds my 14-50 receptacle in January 2019.

Grid-to-Vehicle Charging Losses (February to September):

kWH Meter/Trip Meter = 1.22 Average
22% losses include Charging losses, Pre-heat, pre-cool, AC/Heat and accessories when not in gear, Vampire losses, etc.

Note: I am retired so I have a lot of short trips around town that are not good for efficiency.

Last edited:
Why do you say that? The WH/m are higher with short trips in hot or cold weather due to AC or heat loads with few miles at the bottom. If you drive enough miles to average out the AC/heat loads you can bring it down.

1. Regenerative braking. Short trips means a lot of it. Log trips (assuming highway) means very little of it.
2. Aerodynamic drag. Drag goes up squared with speed. It is a non-factor at low speeds, but the primary one at high speeds.

I have a Performance, so there are other factors, but after 10,000 miles, I'm average 297W-hr/mile, and I do a lot of highway driving. I'm usually around 305 on extended trips.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
1. Regenerative braking. Short trips means a lot of it. Log trips (assuming highway) means very little of it.
2. Aerodynamic drag. Drag goes up squared with speed. It is a non-factor at low speeds, but the primary one at high speeds.

You never get back what you put into it though...

I have a Performance, so there are other factors, but after 10,000 miles, I'm average 297W-hr/mile, and I do a lot of highway driving. I'm usually around 305 on extended trips.

If you did a steady-state trip at 50mph or so I bet you'd see the best efficiency, at least that's where my car likes it ... much over 65 and aero drag etc take a toll..

Can't beat an EV if you have to do these short trips, less (zero) burning fuel while sitting at light, getting to use regen vs friction brakes etc..

You never get back what you put into it though...

If you did a steady-state trip at 50mph or so I bet you'd see the best efficiency, at least that's where my car likes it ... much over 65 and aero drag etc take a toll..

Can't beat an EV if you have to do these short trips, less (zero) burning fuel while sitting at light, getting to use regen vs friction brakes etc..

City MPGe for all EV's exceeds highway MPGe. 50MPH may indeed be a sweet spot, but beware of anecdotes. Drag goes up squared with speed, and highway speed limits are usually around 70, with more typical speeds being in the 75-80 range.

May not get out what you put in, but keep in mind that with ICE cars, transients are HORRIBLE for fuel economy. You have tip in enrichment, you have the engine running through its best and worst efficiency ranges. EV's do not have variation in efficiency, they do not have tip in enrichment. And while you may not get out what you put in with regenerative braking, you get back SOME.

@67King No argument, my experience is regen is good when you avoiding using brakes, otherwise anytime you lose speed you gotta get it back and that costs...

Understand. But maintaining a higher speed costs more than accelerating because drag increases squared with speed. Again, these motors have the same efficiency throughout the range, so we are only talking the impact of the vehicle. That means just friction. From bearings, tires, and most prominently, aerodynamic drag. And you'll get regen even if you do use the brakes, just less of it will be recaptured.
Anecdote. Lifetime 10,000 miles, average 297w-hr/mile
Trip yesterday, picking up my son from school and back, averaging under 15MPH. LOTS of stop and go and sitting. 279w-hr/mile.

In my BMW, I would be at about 22mpg from the lifetime (going off of past couple of years), and I would have been at 13-14 for that one trip. On the highway going 75-80, I average probably about 300-305 (hard to tell because I live in a mountainous area, and hills havea a large impact). Yet in my BMW< I'd be around 28-29. Actually have hit 30 a few times driving on flatter land.

Which again is why the cars are rated by the EPA as more efficient on the city cycle than the highway cycle.

Attachments

• 20190924_151949.jpg
    20190924_151949.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 20190924_143536.jpg
    20190924_143536.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 41
  • Funny
LR-RWD, Silver Metallic, EAP, August 2018 build, 18” tires Aeros off, delivered September 23, 2018

I cannot believe I have had this amazing car for a year now. I still get a rush every time I get in the driver’s seat. The car drives just as good today as when new. I have not had a single problem, unless you count a couple of bugs with updates that were fixed on the next update. The only maintenance has been DIY tire rotation every 5k miles. I do plan to change Cabin Air Filters at 15k miles.

I lost count of the feature improvements from OTA updates. What other car manufacturer keeps their cars up to date with current production models?

Lifetime Trip Meter Data:

14,864 miles
3,539 kWH (Trip Meter)
238 WH/mile
Average cost per mile = $0.02 [Mainly home charging @ $0.066/kWH + Supercharging]

I added a kWH meter on the breaker that feeds my 14-50 receptacle in January 2019.

Grid-to-Vehicle Charging Losses (February to September):

kWH Meter/Trip Meter = 1.22 Average
22% losses include Charging losses, Pre-heat, pre-cool, AC/Heat and accessories when not in gear, Vampire losses, etc.

Note: I am retired so I have a lot of short trips around town that are not good for efficiency.
Can you post pics of the meter that you put on your breaker. I’m curious what your setup is.

@67King I know going fast takes more juice, I never said not so - I only said stop and go doesn't use less just cause of regen.. whatever speed you go, it's more efficient to be consistent at that speed (vs varying up and down) and if you could coast vs use regen, it would be more so

That is true for ICE applications, but not necessarily EV's. Regen is only one factor, I have repeatedly stated how deleterious aerodynamic drag is. If you are doing several short trips, you are going to get better efficiency, because you are inherently going more slowly. WHich means less aerodynamic drag. Besides, elevation changes have similar affect (at least if you live in a hilly region) to the loading of the powertrain, though the drag isn't as big a factor. Obviously is takes more to get up to speed than regen would recover.....if that weren't the case, you'd be talking perpetual motion. But it absolutely IS a factor. Just look at your energy chart when you drive. Go down a big enough hill long enough, and you'll see your w-hr/mi drop into negative territory.

• Funny
My folks moved to Leland in December so I've made 2 trips to visit in my MR that was delivered on Thanksgiving Eve. Coming from Northern VA the supercharger layout is great for the drive. Probably could've made it with one stop in Rocky Mount during the Sumner, no chance on my Dec trip

My folks moved to Leland in December so I've made 2 trips to visit in my MR that was delivered on Thanksgiving Eve. Coming from Northern VA the supercharger layout is great for the drive. Probably could've made it with one stop in Rocky Mount during the Sumner, no chance on my Dec trip

Leland is a growing area and nice retirement location. We have a lot of Sunday School members from Leland. Also Rocky Mount is my home town and still have family there.