Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Annoying Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm using the "auto fold at home" for my mirrors.
My car (2018 MX-100D) folds the mirrors in far too soon when returning home - and unfolds
them far too soon when leaving ... including just driving past the house.
Why can't it know whether or not I'm in the driveway and not do stuff like this when I'm
already in the street. Perhaps wait until I have stopped and put the car in Park ... or maybe
know whether or not I've used the "Garage" to open the door. How about unfolding the
mirror when I use the "Garage" to close the door?
My garage entrance is fairly tight - about 12" max on both sides, probably less. So I do
want to fold the mirrors when I go in/come out of the garage. But I don't want the mirrors
to stay folded until I get all the way to the stop sign at the corner!
We live on a corner lot and there is a stop sign at the corner. To leave the house I have to
first get out of the garage, stop, let my wife get in (no clearance for the right side door in
the garage), put it reverse again, back out into the street while turning 'left', put it in
forward, start moving, go the width of our lot, stop at the stop sign ... and start moving
again. The mirrors stay folded until "about where I've started to move again" or, at best,
when I've come to a stop at the stop sign.
When returning to the house the mirrors fold up "about the time I turn the corner
where the stop sign is". I.O.W. before I've even turned into the driveway. And if I go on
past the driveway to continue on the street ... they fold in and then fold out again as I
pass the house.
- Jim in the PNW

I'm using the "auto fold at home" for my mirrors.
My car (2018 MX-100D) folds the mirrors in far too soon when returning home - and unfolds
them far too soon when leaving ... including just driving past the house.
Why can't it know whether or not I'm in the driveway and not do stuff like this when I'm
already in the street. Perhaps wait until I have stopped and put the car in Park ... or maybe
know whether or not I've used the "Garage" to open the door. How about unfolding the
mirror when I use the "Garage" to close the door?
My garage entrance is fairly tight - about 12" max on both sides, probably less. So I do
want to fold the mirrors when I go in/come out of the garage. But I don't want the mirrors
to stay folded until I get all the way to the stop sign at the corner!
We live on a corner lot and there is a stop sign at the corner. To leave the house I have to
first get out of the garage, stop, let my wife get in (no clearance for the right side door in
the garage), put it reverse again, back out into the street while turning 'left', put it in
forward, start moving, go the width of our lot, stop at the stop sign ... and start moving
again. The mirrors stay folded until "about where I've started to move again" or, at best,
when I've come to a stop at the stop sign.
When returning to the house the mirrors fold up "about the time I turn the corner
where the stop sign is". I.O.W. before I've even turned into the driveway. And if I go on
past the driveway to continue on the street ... they fold in and then fold out again as I
pass the house.
- Jim in the PNW
It makes a guess. GPS is only accurate to within +/-30 odd feet or so. I just touch the fold button on the door arm rest, if I need to manually fold.

This is what the manual says-
To set up, Model X must be driving at a low speed (less than 3 mph/5 kph) or stopped at the location you want your vehicle to remember. Go to Controls > Vehicle > Always Fold Mirrors at this Location. Next time you approach the saved location, your mirrors fold and unfold within 25 feet (7.5 meters) of the specified location.

You can also integrate auto-folding mirrors with HomeLink (see HomeLink Universal Transceiver). To enable, go to HomeLink > Auto-Fold Mirrors when Nearby.

Is it possible to reset the "home" location to some other setting that represents your
needs better? I live on a hill and the road beyond my house is a dead end. Maybe I
could reset my "home" position to my neighbor's driveway (one more house up the
hill). I'm joking, of course ... but you can see what I'm getting at.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could tell the car "how sensitive it should be?" So that the
fold/unfold behaviors are the way we want them instead of based upon some
engineer's guess as to what we need. Oh wait - it's a Tesla and their engineers are
far smarter than I am and they -know- what I need/want.
- Jim

• Funny
Reactions: Harvey Danger
that makes me concerned about buying tesla
Kasperch358 ... there are MANY 'tech things' about the Tesla. Some of them are so good they are "genius level". And some of them
are not so good/an irritant. This "home location" behavior is one that is both ... the genius part is that the car "just knows" that you
have come back home and does stuff like fold the mirrors for you - the irritant is only about the level of sensitivity and the lack of
control we have over that part of this item.
One of the BEST things about this car (I have an MX-100D) is how it drives (handling and tracking). If you are a "driver" you
will love these cars. If you want your car to "ride like you are on a cloud" ... not so much.
- Jim in the PNW