TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another audio thread!

Discussion in 'Model X' started by mohanman, Dec 3, 2016.

1. mohanman

mohanman Member

Hi guys, I just purchased my model X 90D with everything, but they could not get me a model with upgraded audio. I am very sad. Am I missing out or do you guys think standard is ok for casual driving, highway stuff. Im not interested in very loud, but just good enough. Do you think it will beat my Tahoe 2015 sound system?
    Thanks

2. DrComputer

DrComputer Member

I have listened to both (and have the upgraded audio in my Model X). Although there is a difference when listening to them side-by-side, the premium audio system is not nearly as good as it should be for the price premium. If you really don't like the sound of the standard system (and I'm sure you'll think it's fine), for less than the cost of the Tesla upgrade you can have several aftermarket installers upgrade the speakers and add additional bass.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  3. travwill

travwill Active Member

I had the premium system in our S, and it was good IMHO. I had an X for a week waiting on our inventory X, and the premium system in it is much better even. Sounded great, with some deep pumping bass, etc.

But, we now have our X, with all options except the premium sound. It sounds perfectly fine almost all the time. It does with volume well, but you just won't get the super low thumps/deep bass if you like say hip hop, certain pop, and like it loud. Otherwise, the standard system does sound great, deals with volume well still, and is nice and clear.

I think you'll be happy with it. It saves $2500 and the difference doesn't seem worth that much at all.

4. JCB_Arizona

JCB_Arizona Member

Both systems designed by same staff. Speakers are pretty much the same. you just get more of them, and a subwoofer. Get it if you *need* XM radio or have a sensitive ear when listening to lossless audio. Otherwise, regular system is great.

That's the gist of the salesman when I went for a test drive.

5. carlshome

carlshome Member

My Model X has the standard sound system. I've given many rides to my friends and several have asked me if I upgraded the sound system because it sounded so great. I must agree. I am totally happy with the standard system. That said, I would agree with comments above that the deep thumping bass of hip hop songs is not there. Then again, that isn't my choice of music.