TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Another autopark collision report

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by DrakeC, Sep 16, 2017.

1. DrakeC

DrakeC New Member

Autoparking (parallel) today. Got the "P", stopped, put into reverse, hit the "auto park" button that popped up on the console and let go. The car started backing up normally, then suddenly accelerated and ran into the car it was supposed to park in front of. My right rear hit it's left front in a grazing hit. Only body damage, but it will be a few thousand to repair both cars.

Seems like not hitting things should be the first priority of autopark ;) Is there a blind spot off the rear corners? *shrug* It was a strange, and expensive, experience.

I'm on hold now waiting for customer service to report the incident. Hoping they at least pull data from my car for the programmer's to look at.

• Informative x 3
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Eek, that's too bad... what firmware, so we all know what to be aware of? I don't recall other rogue occurrences like that (could have missed a report, of course!).

By accelerated, you mean 'in reverse', right? That seems obvious in context... :) No idea why it would 'think' it needed to speed up for some reason....

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

There are many autopark on youtube that work beautifully.

However, there are quite a few reports of autopark mishaps as well:

Park Assist just ruined my front bumper - cut too short!

I believe Tesla will perfect it in future and in the mean time, it's still risky.

4. DrakeC

DrakeC New Member

The car is only a couple of months old. I'm unsure how to check for the current software version, though it updated about a week ago.

"Accelerate in reverse" is correct.

As for other reports, there are a few on these forums if you search for them; some with reportedly identical behavior (quick acceleration into a corner-to-corner collision). This is not new behavior.

BTW - calling customer service seemed to be generally unhelpful. They "noted the report" and directed me to a local body shop.

5. boaterva

Click on the T (tesla) icon on your large screen (MCU). That's how you look at the version and release notes after the fact (after an upgrade if you didn't watch it load).

On the 'report', someone else may want to chime on a course of action. I don't know what Tesla ever does 'when it's the car's fault'. There's always the 'auto-park/summon/all this stuff is beta' BS...

Also, I hope they gave you a Tesla-certified body shop:

Body Shop Support

6. CameronB

CameronB Member

You can check either 1) hitting the "T" in the center of the main display. It will bring up a screen with the car's image, name and software version. These days it may look like 2017.34.xxxxx or 2017.36.xxxxxx. 2) Check using the Tesla app. Scroll all the way down to the bottom and there will be the current software version. Same format as above.

7. mal_tsla

mal_tsla Member

Any chance this was a result of pedal confusion?

I know the few times I've used auto park, I'm cautious and covering the brake, ready to stop the car if it does the wrong thing. I can only imagine how badly that would work out if I thought I was covering the brake but my foot was actually still on the accelerator.

8. boaterva

The logs would show this, I expect... I hope the SC examined the logs and didn't just say 'autopark f'd up again' and that was it!

9. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I would definitely have Tesla pull the logs because there is no quick acceleration in autopark. In fact they should have called it slowpark considering how slow it goes.

I'm not surprised that it didn't "see" the other car because it doesn't actually use the cameras to autopark. For now it still uses the ultrasonics and sometimes they don't detect things due to height differences or a placement thing. I don't use autopark for this exact reason.

10. patrick40363

patrick40363 Member

Do you use that feature a lot? I have never used and never will. It is a gimmick to me and I would rather park my car. Hope the repairs aren't too bad.

• Like x 1
  11. tpham07

tpham07 Member

the software version is also at the bottom of the page of your app.

12. Hotlobstah

Hotlobstah Member

I use autopark frequently to parallel park and it's never failed me...actually parks much better than I could.

13. Barry

Barry Active Member

Agree

14. DrakeC

DrakeC New Member

Following up: definitely not pedal confusion as my feet were not on any pedals.

I have used the feature a few times before and, when it's not crashing into parked cars, it parks itself very well. Better than I can which is why I use it ;)

I do hope they pull the logs. So far, there is no indication that they want to.

• Informative x 1
  15. setipoo

setipoo Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons

Sad to say, AutoPark is one feature I would never use again after a few near-hits behind, whether bright or dark, or indoor/outdoor. Whether backing up between 1-2 cars, or just backing up between 2 posts, the car backs up too close for comfort to cars/posts regardless how I position the car before initiating the AutoPark. Better safe than sorry.

• Informative x 1
  16. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

U have used auto park about 10 times in a mix of parallel and perpendicular and it works pretty well for me. It does come closer than I would like for comfort before reversing direction but it always worked. Summoning out of my garage on the other hand just got a lot worse in the most recent update and now I always have to abort it before it tries to ram into the wall separating my two garage doors. Used to work well.