Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another AutoPilot Easter Egg NOT!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

boonedocks

MS LR Blk/Blk 19”
May 1, 2015
Gainesville GA
So on my morning commute traveling 70 in a 70 zone, a rock hauler merged on to the highway about a 1/4 mile ahead of me. I was in the left hand lane of 3 with plenty of open space ahead and behind me. The rock hauler traveling about 55 in the 70 zone was littering the expressway with rocks and gravel. One snapped on my windshield, thank goodness for ClearPlex, and I pressed the accelerator to get past this rock dropping paint chipping window breaking hazard. I WAS holding the steering wheel for those that quickly blame that and exceeded the AutoPilot threshold for a couple of seconds at most to get by this menace.

Now for the new AutoPilot "Feature". If you exceed the threshold for AutoPilot, even holding the steering wheel, you will be locked out of being able to use AutoPilot for the rest of your drive. I have read about this happening if you are given 3 full on warnings, which I have never even received one of, but not under these circumstances. I will certainly disengage AutoPilot if I have to quickly get by another vehicle in the future but just wanted to share the latest in AutoPilot "enhancements and improvements"

I wonder how many more "improvements" before people actually start to criticize Tesla?

So far it seems I'm the only one who thinks it's wrong for Tesla to constantly remove functionality. I wonder if there's a point at which a large number of Tesla owners will get equally fed up. Just how far does Tesla have to go to reach that point? It will be interesting to see. So far the acceptance by the majority here has been absolutely mind-boggling, I look forward to seeing which straw breaks the camel's back.

In that vein, I'm all for Tesla's continued sabotage of AP functionality. The more they cripple it the better.

I wonder how many more "improvements" before people actually start to criticize Tesla?

So far it seems I'm the only one who thinks it's wrong for Tesla to constantly remove functionality. I wonder if there's a point at which a large number of Tesla owners will get equally fed up. Just how far does Tesla have to go to reach that point? It will be interesting to see. So far the acceptance by the majority here has been absolutely mind-boggling, I look forward to seeing which straw breaks the camel's back.

In that vein, I'm all for Tesla's continued sabotage of AP functionality. The more they cripple it the better.

You have a valid point RE: the removal of functionality.

However, this is a single report about this particular change in behavior, which I have not seen so far. For this issue, let's see if we can corroborate and specify exactly what has changed before we draw conclusions, yes?

Reactions: rfmurphy81
You have a valid point RE: the removal of functionality.

However, this is a single report about this particular change in behavior, which I have not seen so far. For this issue, let's see if we can corroborate and specify exactly what has changed before we draw conclusions, yes?

None of the "New Enhancements" started showing up on my car until I received Firmware v.2.48.82 It IS there.

I've never had this happen, though I'm not on the latest firmware.

So you're saying, you were on a divided highway, doing 70mph in a 70mph (what's wrong with you? most normal people speed ;)), and you hit the accelerator and AP locked you out?

As soon as I get the latest firmware, you bet your ass I'd be on the phone with Tesla yelling at them if this *sugar* happened.

If this is real, then this + the new speed restriction, wtf?

I've never had this happen, though I'm not on the latest firmware.

So you're saying, you were on a divided highway, doing 70mph in a 70mph (what's wrong with you? most normal people speed ;)), and you hit the accelerator and AP locked you out?

As soon as I get the latest firmware, you bet your ass I'd be on the phone with Tesla yelling at them if this *sugar* happened.

If this is real, then this + the new speed restriction, wtf?

Yes IF you exceed the AutoPilot speed limit. I don't even know what that is at this point. What I DO know is if you are using AutoPiolt AND holding the steering wheel AND exceed that "magic MPH#" pressing the accelerator you will be locked out of AutoPilot for the rest of that drive using Firmware v.2.48.82

Yes IF you exceed the AutoPilot speed limit. I don't even know what that is at this point. What I DO know is if you are using AutoPiolt AND holding the steering wheel AND exceed that "magic MPH#" pressing the accelerator you will be locked out of AutoPilot for the rest of that drive using Firmware v.2.48.82

What did Tesla say when you reported this bug?

Did you exceed 90 MPH? I know this should just prompt you to take over immediately, vs locking you out of AP, but just trying to gather another data point.

• Helpful
Reactions: Max*
Sounds like the solution is: if you want to drive aggressively, take the car out of AP mode before you do it. I don't mean to be flip, but does that sound like what to do for this?
I agree that the solution is simple, but Tesla should NOT be locking you out of AP for the rest of your drive for pressing the accelerator.

I'm driving along with AP, and AP misses something critical, I floor it, AP locks me out, and my punishment is that I either continue my drive manually or pull over and put the car in park to get AP back.

Not cool.

It was whatever speed the current threshold is for AutoPilot. I was alone in the third lane over, rock dropper in the far right lane, and simply HOLDING the steering wheel pressed the accelerator for a short burst to get past the truck. At that point is was less than 1/4 mile at most. If you consider that aggressive @AB4EJ then yes. As I stated if I have to do that again I will certainly push the stalk forward and disengage before a short burst to get out of the way.

@cgiGuy "Did you exceed 90 MPH? I know this should just prompt you to take over immediately, vs locking you out of AP, but just trying to gather another data point." I was holding the steering wheel. It beeped, turned off cruise and A/P and then would not reengage giving the screen error "disabled for the rest of this drive"

@mblakel I did not report as a bug as it was clearly a function and not a bug.

And folks are lining up to buy the new cars with AP 2. LOL!

@boonedocks,

OK, so your video shows the car hitting 90 MPH, which then disabled AP and locked it out. As mentioned above, 90 MPH is the limit for AP (and has been since the beginning), so it makes sense that it would disengage. The lockout, however, is new behavior.

Now, the question is, in your original post when you said that you hit the "AP threshold speed", was that 90 MPH at that time, or was it some other, lower speed?

IMG_9833.JPG

When 90mph is hit with AP engaged you will lose AP for the rest of the drive

@Samjor7777 that was the point of this thread