Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another AutoPilot Easter Egg NOT!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not a big fan of the lockout either, BUT... AP is still developing and it makes sense that should an AP threshold be exceeded during a drive while it's activated, that it force the driver to take over until the car is manually stopped, just to be on the safe side. The implication is that conditions are present in which AP will not be able to operate safely, so it locks itself out until the next drive. In the future, perhaps, AP will be able to better analyze the conditions that caused the incident and allow its use when conditions improve.

But now I guess AP figures "if conditions call for you to drive like a bat out of hell, then you better do the driving!" Hard to argue with that.

Reactions: hiroshiy
Chances for me are far and few between as well. 1st time was a fluke gettIng far away from a gravel truck. 2nd time was to show those that must see to believe. It certainly isn't a regular occurrence for me either. Just another "enhancement" to the latest firmware.

I somehow suspect that Tesla will keep dumbing AP1 down to the point that we may "choose" not to use it except for very few select occasions because of its "introduced" limitations.

It was whatever speed the current threshold is for AutoPilot. I was alone in the third lane over, rock dropper in the far right lane, and simply HOLDING the steering wheel pressed the accelerator for a short burst to get past the truck. At that point is was less than 1/4 mile at most. If you consider that aggressive @AB4EJ then yes. As I stated if I have to do that again I will certainly push the stalk forward and disengage before a short burst to get out of the way.
I should have clarified. "Aggressive" has a specific legal definition, per US DOT, it includes speeding, following too closely, and cutting people off. (I'm not saying you did any of these things.) Your solution (get past the truck quickly) actually is considered safer than lingering next to a large truck, especially if they have not properly secured cargo, or you are in the truck's blind spot.

All that said, it is a bit inconvenient to have to turn off autopilot to pass. (Is that upper limit settable in settings? [not referring to the 90 mph limit])

I think we are going to see more and more of these kinds of limits being placed on operation by driver automation features, as we move closer to autonomous vehicles. Remember, autonomous cars are programmed to never violate any regulations, as in they don't speed, they always come to a full stop at a stop sign, etc. For those of us used to driving in the real world, this will "drive" us nuts...

I reckon Tesla will change the lockout behaviour, it doesn't seem appropriate in this case.
Probably just a programmer sending the code down the wrong stream, and will change in a future point release.

Doubtful. They want to make sure you aren't trying to force AP to drive faster than it wants to.

In prior versions people figured out if you wanted to go faster than the +5 that AP would let you set you could just press on the accelerator pedal to go the speed you wanted. Tesla countered by making the "hold the wheel" nags occur very frequently if you did that.

Sadly someone is probably going over all the collected AP data and saying, yep I see people abusing the system this way, I'll write up a change ticket for the AP team to deal with that.

Reactions: yak-55
I find it exceedingly funny that people will bend over backwards to justify Tesla's hostile actions towards its customers.

Just FYI, with AP 1.0 and FW 7.1 there is no 'lockout' of AP when exceeding 90 mph.

The constant removal of working features is my primary reason for staying on FW 7.1. My service center is aware that they are not authorized to update our firmware when either of the cars is in for service.

They always said it was beta. I applaud Tesla's flexibility to let the consumers test something like this. Any other manufacturer would a) have way more nannies to begin with and b) not release it until The tech was 5 years old and fully tested.

I just got a Black Friday offer to "upgrade" the maps in my 2015 GMC for a few hundred dollars! Let's keep the constant whining about tesla "new features" in perspective! No other car on the planet is providing anything like Tesla In the way of ongoing software updates.

I personally was surprised it would let you push the accelerator and disable automatic braking while continuing to use auto steer. I would think that poses a potential safety issue. Think fall asleep and mash the pedal or something like that.

I do wish there was a way to disable just auto steer without shutting off cruise without overpowering the steering. I don't like auto steer for lane changes and can't find a smooth way to temporarily shut it off without disabling cruise.

I thought it was one click toward you for cruise, two for auto steer. If in auto steer, one click away from you disables steer and refers to cruise, two,clicks away disables everything.
No, that is not right. One click away from you disables both. What I do to disable just steering is push it away from me and then immediately towards me. This first disables both and the reenables TACC.

Reactions: davidc18
@mblakel I did not report as a bug as it was clearly a function and not a bug.

Bug or feature, I think you should report your reaction directly to Tesla. It's been suggested before that some minor software updates are part of A-B tests, where Tesla tries out changes to see how owners react. If so it's important to communicate — and if I were in charge I'd weigh a clear, polite email more heavily than a post on some forum.

Definitely amusing how many people jump to put a positive spin on anything Tesla does, no matter how far wrong Tesla is on the matter.

I find the "disabled until next drive" crap completely uncalled for in ALL cases. At least in the three-strikes-you're-out scenario I could *almost* see part of the Tesla-defender side of things if the initial reasoning wasn't absurd in the first place (remember that Tesla touted AP1 as being capable hands free on ramp to off ramp?). In this case there is a condition that is hit, AP disengages as a result, and then quite literally just punishes the driver for it immediately. There's no excuse for that. If it wants to disengage over 90 MPH, fine. But there is zero reason for the software to disallow further use at lower speeds. None what-so-ever.

I don't care how little or how often this particular scenario happens. There is no reason for this driver chastising to exist in the first place.

I wonder how many more "improvements" before people actually start to criticize Tesla?

So far it seems I'm the only one who thinks it's wrong for Tesla to constantly remove functionality. I wonder if there's a point at which a large number of Tesla owners will get equally fed up. Just how far does Tesla have to go to reach that point? It will be interesting to see. So far the acceptance by the majority here has been absolutely mind-boggling, I look forward to seeing which straw breaks the camel's back.

In that vein, I'm all for Tesla's continued sabotage of AP functionality. The more they cripple it the better.

Whether I'm fed up really depends on the specifics of what's being limited or taken away.

In this case I don't really believe it was intentional. I think they just failed to catch it during testing, or didn't realize how often this could happen. I see absolutely no logic in a lockout if the AP speed is exceeded. It should disable of course, but it shouldn't lock you out once you brought it back down. I'm a little miffed at why the germans haven't complained loudly about it.

Overall I'm less concerned about some feature being limited due to regulatory issues, or media pressure than I am about the tendency of Tesla to over promise, and under deliver.

But, at the end of the day no matter how irked I am it's not like I have a lot of choice. Tesla is given a lot of wiggle room because there just isn't anything else. There is nothing new with that. Heck on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited I accept having to wipe up a small puddle after every major rainstorm because there isn't anything else like it on the market.

We accept a lot of crap in life not because we really want to, but because its worth the tradeoff until it's no longer worth the trade off.

Last edited:
Perhaps it's because I'm not yet an owner that I don't see this as some of you. I do see it as a bit of an overreach on the part of AP, but maybe my interpretation is off base. Again, I see it as a safety measure: when one activates AP, there is an assumption that the driver believes that AP can handle the current conditions, right? I mean, a responsible Tesla owner would never activate AP in conditions outside the scope of AP.

So, we all know AP has limitations, and when it reaches them, it advises the driver to take over. Everyone accepts that. But in this case, the OP showed that when pushed past one limitation (miles per hour), AP disengages and refuses to allow itself to be re-engaged until the car is re-started. There could very well be other thresholds that might cause the same behavior; I expect there are, things like high lateral g forces, or rapid, multiple steering inputs in opposite directions (like swerving to miss an object in the road too small for AP to detect.

I propose that it is actually safer in the long run (that is, until a better AP system is released) for the system to recognize when there may be factors that it's sensor suite cannot account for on a particular drive, and for it to "lock out" until the drive ends, even though it may be annoying to most. The OP clearly perceived a situation that needed to be addressed by a brief bit of acceleration, and only a very advanced AI (and accompanying sensor suite) would have been able to perceive and make the same decision in that situation. Hopefully we get there sooner rather than later. But until then, I'm not sure disabling AP's ability to take itself out of a game it recognizes it can't play is the better idea.

"Regulation" is the word missing from this thread, as is "Liability"

I suspect many of these "new AP features" are being negotiated by Tesla with bodies such as the NHTSA following the fatal accident with the driver on AP.

In many ways this was inevitable, but Tesla absotutely must keep the support of such bodies as it would be quite feasible for them to all but outlaw AP altogether. Then there is liability, in todays litigious world there is always another lawyer looking for notoriety and profit, and both Tesla and the regulator have to manage this pernicious threat too.

That said I very much agree with WK057 that Tesla have to be careful how they implement some of these restriction else they risk alienating their owners, and certainly in this instance simply disabling AP with appropriate warnings would seem to be sufficient.

Reactions: yak-55
Is that change in Autopilot behaviour documented in the manual?

This change appears to be in 2.48.x, which Tesla has only pushed to a small number of cars. The manual currently reflects 2.42.40, which is what most of us have. Based on prior experience, Tesla will update the manual again a month or so after the next major upgrade that goes to all cars (the 8.1 upgrade that is supposed to be imminent).

Cue conversations about the paucity of Tesla's release notes.

Ok, so how long before the car has a lifetime counter of lockouts after which AP is permanently disabled to protect the driver? You know, like P90DL launch limit to protect the drivetrain? After all, people hurting themselves with AP is probably worse for Tesla than people blowing their drivetrain, so permanent lockout could absolutely be rationalized as a risk mitigation.