Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another bad delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First, I want to be clear that I am one of the biggest fan of Tesla. I love the model 3 design, the concept, the company mission and vision. I am a long term Tesla investor, not a Shorter. Here is my experience for today's delivery:

1. Reserved: Jan 2017. Invited: 6/29. Configured the same day. Vin assigned on 7/12 490xx. Delivery scheduled: 7/20 @ Costa Mesa (today). My configuration: RWD LR RED Sport Wheels PUP EAP + FS
2. I selected an option for Tesla lending. Loan approved for 3.55% with US BANK (7 days before delivery) Turned it down. Went to local credit union and got approved for 1.9% (6 days before delivery) Contacted Tesla right away to change the payment information.
3. Tesla updated the account 3 days before delivery. I noticed that there was a mistake with the down payment and loan payment. Contacted Tesla for a change.
4. OA went MIA for 3 consecutive days. I sent several emails and left several voice messages.
5. My appointment was at 2:00 in Costa Mesa. Both wife and I took the day off for the delivery. I received a call an hour before delivery just to be informed that the system has been down for final purchase agreement adjustment. In this case, they moved my delivery date until Monday next week.

My take on this: Improvements still need to be made in order to guarantee a smooth delivery experience. I like the whole online selling and configuration. The lack of response for a long period of time is unacceptable from customer service perspective. Sometimes we just need a person to talk to. Oh I should also mention stay away from Costa Mesa delivery center. They are so backed up. Don't ruin your delivery experience.

I still can't wait to get the car....

First, I want to be clear that I am one of the biggest fan of Tesla. I love the model 3 design, the concept, the company mission and vision. I am a long term Tesla investor, not a Shorter. Here is my experience for today's delivery:

1. Reserved: Jan 2017. Invited: 6/29. Configured the same day. Vin assigned on 7/12 490xx. Delivery scheduled: 7/20 @ Costa Mesa (today). My configuration: RWD LR RED Sport Wheels PUP EAP + FS
2. I selected an option for Tesla lending. Loan approved for 3.55% with US BANK (7 days before delivery) Turned it down. Went to local credit union and got approved for 1.9% (6 days before delivery) Contacted Tesla right away to change the payment information.
3. Tesla updated the account 3 days before delivery. I noticed that there was a mistake with the down payment and loan payment. Contacted Tesla for a change.
4. OA went MIA for 3 consecutive days. I sent several emails and left several voice messages.
5. My appointment was at 2:00 in Costa Mesa. Both wife and I took the day off for the delivery. I received a call an hour before delivery just to be informed that the system has been down for final purchase agreement adjustment. In this case, they moved my delivery date until Monday next week.

My take on this: Improvements still need to be made in order to guarantee a smooth delivery experience. I like the whole online selling and configuration. The lack of response for a long period of time is unacceptable from customer service perspective. Sometimes we just need a person to talk to. Oh I should also mention stay away from Costa Mesa delivery center. They are so backed up. Don't ruin your delivery experience.

This hour before delivery phone call is what I’m dreading tomorrow.

I received a call an hour before delivery just to be informed that the system has been down for final purchase agreement adjustment. In this case, they moved my delivery date until Monday next week.
Brutal. The time when this sort of thing will become a major league problem is nigh, because nearly all of us US-based FanBoys have our cars by now, and the US general public will be receiving theirs soon enough. Tesla has relied upon social media for positive advertising since inception, largely with success. They've GOT to get these hiccups resolved before cars start being delivered to non-loyalists or the negative social media storm may be too much to overcome. I'm sorry your delivery got delayed at the 11th hour, and hope that they get it to you on the newly promised date/time.

Brutal. The time when this sort of thing will become a major league problem is nigh, because nearly all of us US-based FanBoys have our cars by now, and the US general public will be receiving theirs soon enough. Tesla has relied upon social media for positive advertising since inception, largely with success. They've GOT to get these hiccups resolved before cars start being delivered to non-loyalists or the negative social media storm may be too much to overcome. I'm sorry your delivery got delayed at the 11th hour, and hope that they get it to you on the newly promised date/time.

Agreed. This is is what I've been trying to say re: the other comments that imply it's ok/who cares if the car is dirty etc

What CU is 1.9%?

Reactions: UltralightBeam
@bomquito, Sorry to hear about your troubles. I think it is so important that Tesla itself receives your feedback on this if they have not already. Like all great things, improvement is always possible, and Tesla is no exception to that rule. Just make sure you help them by indicating the things that need improvement. If it is any consolation, after such a long wait, I am so thoroughly impressed with my Model 3 and think you will be too.

So after a week I finally got a chance to take my model 3 home today. Delivery in Costa Mesa was definitely a rush. I would not recommend taking your model 3s from this location. I figured my car was left outside for a week. I was right. There were tree saps left on my windshield that the typical wash could not get rid off. They had to bring in a microfiber towel and clean it for me. I found some problems with the car during the walk through: roof seals weren't sitting flush onto the frame, paint chip and bubbles were visible from the final clear coat. They made me an appointment right away for service. I was told that for the seals, that can be fixed in a day. However, due to the paint issue, Tesla has to take the car to a body shop and the process usually takes 1-2 weeks. I hope they give me a loaner.

After I drove the car off the delivery center, from the sun hitting the screen, I noticed there's a hair tiny hair line crack on my screen, an inch from the top right in the middle, connected all the way down to the bottom of the screen. The line is so thin that we did not notice it during the inspection. Any recommendations what I should do?

The car drove great and felt amazing during the ride home. The overall experience is somewhat disappointing so far. I just hope Tesla will make it right. Further updates to come...

• Informative
Reactions: Hkbruin
So after a week I finally got a chance to take my model 3 home today. Delivery in Costa Mesa was definitely a rush. I would not recommend taking your model 3s from this location. I figured my car was left outside for a week. I was right. There were tree saps left on my windshield that the typical wash could not get rid off. They had to bring in a microfiber towel and clean it for me. I found some problems with the car during the walk through: roof seals weren't sitting flush onto the frame, paint chip and bubbles were visible from the final clear coat. They made me an appointment right away for service. I was told that for the seals, that can be fixed in a day. However, due to the paint issue, Tesla has to take the car to a body shop and the process usually takes 1-2 weeks. I hope they give me a loaner.

After I drove the car off the delivery center, from the sun hitting the screen, I noticed there's a hair tiny hair line crack on my screen, an inch from the top right in the middle, connected all the way down to the bottom of the screen. The line is so thin that we did not notice it during the inspection. Any recommendations what I should do?

The car drove great and felt amazing during the ride home. The overall experience is somewhat disappointing so far. I just hope Tesla will make it right. Further updates to come...

Good grief, that's horrible! I took delivery on the 25th from same place and had a much better experience. I would have been pissed..

If you're talking about the touchscreen, make sure you remove the protective cover. The crack may just be the cover that many forget to remove.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal

I am unfortunately stuck with the Costa Mesa location. My initial delivery was delayed because of a paint defect noticed by the detailing crew 30 minutes before our delivery appointment. The car supposedly went in on the following Monday to the car shop, and on Tuesday evening I was notified that it was out of the shop. I was glad to hear of the quick turnaround, but I’m wondering if a paint job can be fixed within that small amount of time? Perhaps a small job but done with good care and attention? I hope that other parts of the vehicle are inspected so that further delays will be avoided..

I am unfortunately stuck with the Costa Mesa location. My initial delivery was delayed because of a paint defect noticed by the detailing crew 30 minutes before our delivery appointment. The car supposedly went in on the following Monday to the car shop, and on Tuesday evening I was notified that it was out of the shop. I was glad to hear of the quick turnaround, but I’m wondering if a paint job can be fixed within that small amount of time? Perhaps a small job but done with good care and attention? I hope that other parts of the vehicle are inspected so that further delays will be avoided..

In your situation, you should be very happy that 1) they noticed the paint issue before delivering the car, and 2) they fixed it within a short amount of time. You aren't "stuck", you are lucky they did a good job detailing the car before delivery and finding the issue. Many get their car first, then they notice something off after they get home, then they post on the forum about an awful delivery experience.

Just saying, in your case, you should feel good about it rather than be down about the situation. A paint job can most definitely be fixed within 1-2 days.

"I just hope Tesla will make it right"

I am a typical car buyer and I do not understand why you took delivery of a car needing to visit a body shop immediately after delivery. Why not let them fix it first? Suppose it comes back and you are not satisfied and they say "sorry, that's the best we can do"? I read this craziness over and over here and on M3OC. Why should Tesla improve when fans like you are willing to take anything that rolls out of the factory? I recently read another story where both driver side doors will need to be repainted but he took delivery anyway...What is he thinking? In a hot climate, those doors will probably not match the rest of the car in 3 years.

As a realtor, I hear stories like this with people and their new homes about builders not coming back in a timely manner to finish punch list items. My first question is always "why did you close on the house"? All leverage is gone once a car maker or home builder or contractor has all their money.

Last edited: