Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another bad delivery experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your situation, you should be very happy that 1) they noticed the paint issue before delivering the car, and 2) they fixed it within a short amount of time. You aren't "stuck", you are lucky they did a good job detailing the car before delivery and finding the issue. Many get their car first, then they notice something off after they get home, then they post on the forum about an awful delivery experience.

Just saying, in your case, you should feel good about it rather than be down about the situation. A paint job can most definitely be fixed within 1-2 days.
You’re definitely right, I have all the leverage still since I haven’t taken delivery and this typically happens when said buyer is the one that discovers the blemish. I’m hoping for the rest of the process to be smooth, as it’s not really about my expectations, it’s the wife’s! Although she loves the idea owning the Tesla, she doesn’t think it’s practical like a minivan yada yada, and the risk of getting a new EV. Well, it’s more when I showed her the MVSA that she freaked out..
Anyway, our new delivery appointment is scheduled for Friday 10am. Hopefully it won’t be too crazy at that hour...

"I just hope Tesla will make it right"

I am a typical car buyer and I do not understand why you took delivery of a car needing to visit a body shop immediately after delivery. Why not let them fix it first? Suppose it comes back and you are not satisfied and they say "sorry, that's the best we can do"? I read this craziness over and over here and on M3OC. Why should Tesla improve when fans like you are willing to take anything that rolls out of the factory? I recently read another story where both driver side doors will need to be repainted but he took delivery anyway...What is he thinking? In a hot climate, those doors will probably not match the rest of the car in 3 years.

As a realtor, I hear stories like this with people and their new homes about builders not coming back in a timely manner to finish punch list items. My first question is always "why did you close on the house"? All leverage is gone once a car maker or home builder or contractor has all their money.

I get your point @beachbum77 The ultimate reason why I took the car, even with all the issues listed, was because no matter what, I am still happy with the outcome. It is a person decision at the time to accept, due to all the circumstances and possible solutions that could derive from the decision. I understand your business concept. To me, it is not about "leverage" and the "money". It is the love for the brand that differentiate us. Why do you think the Browns still have fans cheering for them going 0-16? Why did you think those fans bought tickets to watch them lose?

Reactions: dhrivnak
So after a week I finally got a chance to take my model 3 home today. Delivery in Costa Mesa was definitely a rush. I would not recommend taking your model 3s from this location. I figured my car was left outside for a week. I was right. There were tree saps left on my windshield that the typical wash could not get rid off. They had to bring in a microfiber towel and clean it for me. I found some problems with the car during the walk through: roof seals weren't sitting flush onto the frame, paint chip and bubbles were visible from the final clear coat. They made me an appointment right away for service. I was told that for the seals, that can be fixed in a day. However, due to the paint issue, Tesla has to take the car to a body shop and the process usually takes 1-2 weeks. I hope they give me a loaner.

After I drove the car off the delivery center, from the sun hitting the screen, I noticed there's a hair tiny hair line crack on my screen, an inch from the top right in the middle, connected all the way down to the bottom of the screen. The line is so thin that we did not notice it during the inspection. Any recommendations what I should do?

The car drove great and felt amazing during the ride home. The overall experience is somewhat disappointing so far. I just hope Tesla will make it right. Further updates to come...

Here is an update to the original post.

This morning I came in Buena Park for a service appointment. The following issues were listed on the original post and also updates as of this morning:
1. Cracked screen upon delivery - Tesla will replace the entire touch screen. I was told it takes a few days for the parts to arrive. The fix is less than hour once they have the screen.
2. Roof seals not flush entirely at the top - Tesla will have to replace the ENTIRE glass and seal at the top as the parts do come together. I was really surprised that the roof glass will be replaced as well.
3. The imperfection in the paint - Tesla will send my vehicle to a body shop to get this taken care of. I was informed this is the longest part of the process. Expected return of the vehicle within 7-10 days.

They gave me a S85 as a loaner. Thank you Tesla for making things right!

@bomquito I picked up my car on 08/03/2018 from the Costa Mesa location as well. Found the following issues:

-Car was pulling to the left at high speeds
-Paint chips front hood/driver's door
-Black covers on the A-Pillars were popping out

I took the car to Buena Park on 08/06/2018 and they gave me a S85 loaner as well. They said it would take atleast two weeks. The car has been sitting at service center and still hasn't gone to a body shop yet. Seems like me and you are in the same situation, lets hope our paint gets taken care of!!

@bomquito I picked up my car on 08/03/2018 from the Costa Mesa location as well. Found the following issues:

-Car was pulling to the left at high speeds
-Paint chips front hood/driver's door
-Black covers on the A-Pillars were popping out

I took the car to Buena Park on 08/06/2018 and they gave me a S85 loaner as well. They said it would take atleast two weeks. The car has been sitting at service center and still hasn't gone to a body shop yet. Seems like me and you are in the same situation, lets hope our paint gets taken care of!!

What is your configuration and vin number? Mine is Red Sports Wheel EAP+FS Vin 490xx
The S85 they gave me was beaten up pretty well. They were scratches all over the rear. Leather seats are super worn out. There's only 23k miles on this thing.

What is your configuration and vin number? Mine is Red Sports Wheel EAP+FS Vin 490xx
The S85 they gave me was beaten up pretty well. They were scratches all over the rear. Leather seats are super worn out. There's only 23k miles on this thing.

Blue, LR RWD, Aeros, EAP Vin 416xx

My S85 has about 60k miles - in decent shape.

I just checked the location of my car and it appears they have moved it into the body shop. I did not get an update. Based on the GPS location, the body shop they're using is Global Collision Center. Global Collision Center - Garden Grove, CA

Hope yours will be there soon too.

Blue, LR RWD, Aeros, EAP Vin 416xx

My S85 has about 60k miles - in decent shape.

I just checked the location of my car and it appears they have moved it into the body shop. I did not get an update. Based on the GPS location, the body shop they're using is Global Collision Center. Global Collision Center - Garden Grove, CA

Hope yours will be there soon too.
Is it just me or the S85 is much slower than our 3? I’m so glad i didn’t go for the CPO S60/85.
I just checked the location of my 3 and it’s still in Buena Park. I’m pretty sure it’ll end up at the same place. I was thinking at $175 an hour, the cost of the glass roof and seal, cost of the touch screen and body work, I may have caused major damage to Tesla service bottom line today.

Is it just me or the S85 is much slower than our 3? I’m so glad i didn’t go for the CPO S60/85.
I just checked the location of my 3 and it’s still in Buena Park. I’m pretty sure it’ll end up at the same place. I was thinking at $175 an hour, the cost of the glass roof and seal, cost of the touch screen and body work, I may have caused major damage to Tesla service bottom line today.

Heh. You mean *they* caused damage to their own bottom line. As a shareholder, I'd like to see some measurable improvement, quarter over quarter, in the number of self-inflicted wounds. For all we know, it is getting better per units delivered but how would we know beyond the anecdotes posted here and there? That would require transparency, accountability, and communication.

None of which I expect to improve with the pending privatization but I support privatization all the same. Hopefully it allows Tesla in general to get into a less impactful rhythm than the end of month and end of quarter fire drills to date. Well, end of month will probably happen just due to incentives but the point remains. Will be interesting to see how new Sales/Service leadership improves things (ok, hopefully improves things) next year.