TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Another bad SP100D delivery experience

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by AirKuhl, Feb 27, 2017.

1. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Member

I was hoping my first post here would be more positive, but so it goes. Sorry for the wall of text but it's cathartic to write it down.

Like many others, I was intrigued yet cautious about Tesla for quite a while and I assumed that with the latest facelift the Model S was finally sorted out. I went to a showroom in December where a really nice nice person helped me out, it was the best part of the experience. Since I wanted to close the deal by year-end, I settled for a built car with only 50 miles that didn't have my preferred interior trim in order to take advantage of the free supercharging offer being EOL'd. But that was my call, not a problem and I was also well aware of where AP2 was on it's learning curve.

I chose a factory delivery in Fremont, the tour was fun, so far so good. Then we walked back to the tent and the car was delivered dirty with 3 separate paint defects, a defective body seal, dented side camera housing, loose A pillar cover, corrupted software, missing Ludicrous, EAP and FSD. The paperwork was in error and quoted a higher price than was agreed to. The software issues were bad enough that they had an engineer come out of the factory to sort it out. We had to wait over 4 hours after our scheduled time to address the worst of these issues so we went to grab some dinner and got a text saying to come back. When we arrived we had to bang on the door because it was after closing and the person helping us just left, and no one knew we were coming.

When scheduling an appointment to address the due bill, I was given a date 2 weeks out and I have to take time off of work to come to the service center. I dropped the car off and got a cheap loaner car. I did ask 3 times over the next few days for a Tesla loaner if possible and was finally given one. Good thing it turns out, since I had no idea at the time I would be without my car for almost 6 weeks.

I understand the weather played a part in the paint repairs and some defective parts were ordered that had to be re-ordered. During this time I got rare and infrequent updates, usually only after initiating them and finally appearing in person a few times.

When I finally got a text that my car was ready after a month, I showed up only to find that the 2 worst paint defects which were documented both during drop off and on the original due bill from the factory, were not repaired. Due to the crazy Bay area weather at the time, it was about a 2 hour drive each way to come get the car (hwy 17) and that’s leaving at 5:30 AM to beat most of the traffic.

During most of this time, I was getting emails about a rebuild car. I didn't ask for a replacement, but I was impressed that Tesla would go above and beyond and perhaps let me spec the interior trim that I originally wanted. I enjoyed watching the progress on the MyTesla webpage. I even had a call from someone to schedule delivery. Then I got another phone call saying that Tesla has changed their minds and I will no longer receive it. It felt like it was just a cruel taunting this whole time. From an emotional point of view this is probably the worst part and I didn't even ask for it.

I finally picked up my car a few days ago and it looks OK. The service guy apologized for everything and offered me a free detail for my trouble. Oh boy, be still my foolish heart. Of course, the car was filthy and since it was still rainy no point in detailing it then anyway. I can't help but acknowledge that I paid for 2 months of owning a car I couldn't drive, not an insignificant amount as the car has every option except the third seat. But the worst of it was over 6 weeks of stress with very little communication, much of it wrong anyway. I lay awake at night several times regretting my purchase. If I see a picture of a Tesla online I get tense instead of happy. I got an email early last week from another Tesla person promising to call me last Friday to talk about this, and as you can probably predict, no one called me.

I love the technology, but I just can't support a company that treated me like this. Fantastic car if you are wiling to accept it's limitations, and I am. But the worst customer service I've ever experienced on any product, including random $100 gadgets.

• Informative x 10
    • Like x 4
  2. Sully's8

Sully's8 Member

Focus on this for three weeks until I get mine and then you can tell me how "none of that matters anymore because you've been driving the best vehicle on the planet. . . ". Or something similar.

I've been monitoring these horror stories and it seems like most get over it. Those who don't give up, collect their deposit or lose it, and we never hear from them again.

Hang in there.

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. Vitold

Vitold Active Member

Moral of the story seems to be not to accept the vehicle until it's to your liking.

• Like x 7
  4. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

Agreed on this. Many who have had drivertrains replaced one or more times in a RWD came back and upgraded to D-models. However, there may be a different story when it comes to consumer-class Model 3 once the hard-core EV enthusiasts are not the core buyer.

5. Khanhvngo

Khanhvngo Member

I completely understand the OP frustration and stress. Everyone of us who took the decision to buy a Tesla expected and hope for the best experiences ever. Reality is that most often it isn't the case, I don't understand how Tesla can let a car be shown to a new owner with out some Quality control.

There seem to be a lack of perfection that should happen. Someone should have gone over your car and make all the needed fix before you even get a call that it was ready.

That being said, I agreed with most people here, after about 1-2 months you will have forgotten about the ordeal, and love that your car is the best car ever!

I know and understand everything your going through!

• Disagree x 2
  6. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Member

Yup, I'm an optimist that doesn't hold grudges, but I'm not an apologist either. I hope to enjoy a great car, but I also hope that Tesla gets to a point where they can succeed on their own merits without an asterisk or caveat.

I know for fact that several other companies are investing massive amounts of money and engineering into EAP/FSD/advanced drivetrains. In 3-4 years, someone like Audi will have excellent EAP systems along with far superior build quality and multimedia integration. I want to see an American company like Tesla improve more quickly in order to still be competitive when that happens.

• Like x 4
  7. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Tesla needs to get this stuff under control. There's really no excuse for all the stories like these. I'm glad you finally received your car and it was in at least acceptable condition.

Can you tell us a little more about the rebuild? Tesla offered a replacement, you accepted, it showed up in your MyTesla account, you got a call to schedule the replacement's delivery, and then at some point later finally got notification that you were no longer receiving a replacement? That's terrible.

• Like x 2
  8. joebiker25

joebiker25 Member

WOW! That is painful after the hefty price tag and the anticipation of owning a car unlike anything else on the road.
    As others have said, once the issues are ironed out, the car will put a big smile on your face everything you look at it ..leave alone when you are driving it...which will be a lot!

• Disagree x 1
  9. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Member

Close. It's actually worse that that.

1) It showed up one day in MyTesla out of the blue, no explanation.
    2) When I asked one of the few Tesla folks that were responsive, he seemed incredulous that no one told me about my rebuild yet and would have someone contact me (spoiler alert: no one did)
    3) Like most of us, I spend several weeks enjoying the experience of watching my car go through the various steps online.
    4) I got a phone call from a delivery person to congratulate me and set up the delivery details. When I asked about how the process to switch cars works, he assumed all that was already explained to me. When I said no, he said he'd find out what's going on and call back (spoiler alert: he never did)
    5) About 2 more weeks go by without any contact. I sent a few emails, no one replied.
    6) While on vacation skiing, I get a phone call saying that Tesla has changed it's mind and that I will no longer get the rebuild. No explanation, just an apology for the confusion and a claim that someone will call and explain everything. (spoiler alert: no one ever called). That was a fun day.

Back in high school I once got into a playground brawl and somehow while wrestling around on the ground the other guy stepped on my nuts. That's the only analogy that comes to mind. ;)

• Funny x 7
  10. Max*

Max* Not Banned

I'm glad you still have a sense of humor after this.

• Like x 1
  11. AirKuhl

AirKuhl Member

I can't always control what happens to me, but I can always control how I react to it.

• Like x 6
    • Love x 2
  12. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Member

That's pretty terrible. It's disheartening to read about these bad experiences. I've had nothing but good.

13. TexLaw

TexLaw Member

That's rough, man. You seem to be taking this in stride, and I applaud that. I don't know if I could have kept my cool through it all, especially that episode with the rebuild.

As mentioned, Tesla really, really needs to get this under control. It does not take many customer dissatisfaction stories to turn away folks that are looking to drop $75+k on a car.

14. electracity

electracity Active Member

Yet I see no problem adding 10,000 Model 3 per week. Cough.

• Funny x 2
  15. Spyder14

Spyder14 Member

That was painful to read--not because of length but content! My Model S is almost a year old & I love it but I'm not sure if my next car will be a Tesla. I have had some head-scratching experiences (first-hand & reading several here) that make me think if they don't get their service, communication, parts availability & production poop together, they won't make it. I hope I am wrong since a Model X would make a great next car but they have to get this stuff fixed before they add more customers.

• Like x 1
  16. Pollux

Pollux Active Member

Huh. I just got finished adding my two cents to another guy's tale of recent delivery woe. I'm thinking about why I'm more sympathetic to this story. I think it's because there are so many problems, over a span of time, with repeated communication difficulties. Also that it's an inventory car, and the inventory car process really should be able to detect and handle problems with the car itself. If anything, there's extra time involved for the company to detect and correct issues. It's easy for me to imagine the communications problems -- that's been a constant for years.

I feel for you, @AirKuhl. I hope that the actual ownership experience will eventually make up for the delivery woes.

For what it's worth, I've dealt with four different service centers -- Rockville, MD & Tyson's Corner, VA & Watertown, MA & Dedham, MA -- across two Model S's and I've had experiences that ranged from wonderful to mind-blowing awesome. I've also read that some Service Centers have buckled under pressure. So perhaps you might look around for another Service Center, which might be an option in CA.

Alan

• Like x 1
  17. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Why is it that everyone seems to give every new poster the immediate benefit of the doubt without even questioning the truthfulness or accuracy of the post? There are some things there that are certainly plausible but a few things stand out as complete fabrications... There is no way a car was delivered with those kinds of mistakes in the software/features/what was ordered, not to mention the "corrupt software" bit...

Yeah I'm going to get called a fanboy and whatever other derogatory things one would like to use but come on people... Why do you take everything at face value without even remotely questioning it's accuracy? Do you really believe everything you read on the internet...???

Dislike away...

Jeff

• Like x 2
  18. dmode

dmode Member

For now, I am going to go with trusting the OP. But his experience seems highly unusual, especially delivering a dirty car. It is also interesting that no one in the delivery side found any of the issues that the OP listed, including corrupted software. When I picked up my car, the car name was actually programmed with my name. At the very least, while driving the car off the factory to the delivery center the corrupted software would be evident. I also live in Fremont and visit the delivery center fairly often. I have seen many many cars being delivered and have never seen a dirty car.

19. Pdub2015

Pdub2015 Member

In general, giving a poster the benefit of credibility at the outset is a matter of simply being polite, and fortunately, this seems to be the (welcomed) default at this particular forum. That said, you do have a valid point, but have you worked out a way to actually determine if the OP was lying? Like, how are you so certain his car was not delivered as he said?

• Like x 1
  20. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Good question actually. For me specifically, I've been here for awhile and have read countless delivery experience threads and as such, can spot things that are outside of the norm. This account is full of them... I totally buy the paint issues unfortunately as this has been a problem since day one although even I'll admit that the depth of what the OP claims seems a bit on the extreme side... However, I can't recall a single delivery story, positive or otherwise, where the car had corrupted software or missing software features that were supposedly on the MVPA. Either the OP didn't order the car they thought they did or Tesla made a mistake that is extremely difficult to buy... The way these cars are built almost makes that impossible in that the options are uploaded to the build sheet of the car and the software is deployed according to those specifications. The handling of the software install is entirely electronic/automated so again, either the features weren't on the MVPA or....

Call me jaded if you will... I just no longer take people at face value, especially new members posting outlandishly bad delivery experiences... Consider this, if things have been this bad for so long why did the OP wait so long to vent about them...???

Something doesn't seem right here and my instincts can't let me look past that...

Jeff

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1