TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another Battery Life Optimization Question: Car Driven 1~2 Weeks, Garaged 1~2 Weeks

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by UberEV1, Jun 22, 2014.

1. UberEV1

UberEV1 Member

Not sure if this had been covered elsewhere (did not find anything on quick search), but here is the question:

Due to significant business travel, my Tesla is a daily driver (about 50 miles per day) for 1 to 2 weeks, then sits in the garage 1 to 2 weeks while I am on travel. It stays plugged in while in the garage with charge limit set to 75%. Is there something more I can do to maximize battery life with this type of driving / storage duty cycle?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

50% is the best storage level. (bottom of the daily charge). Then the day before you come back, use the App to set the charge level back to your normal spot.

3. tezco

tezco Sig P85

I agree. I leave at 50% and plug in once a week or so if I'm not driving for that long a period (Leaf is the sacrificial daily driver out into ding-land). Charge up right before I hit the road to whatever level is necessary to bring me back home with at least 30%.

4. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

75% is already relatively benign to the battery. There's diminishing returns, esp. under the 90% range.

The other thing you can do is to make the garage relatively cool (like ventilation fans and insulating the garage door/roof depending on if you have heat sources in the garage).