Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Californian whining about Supercharger Locations :)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I write this knowing there is little sympathy for Californians complaining about Supercharger locations, but here I go.

We need another Supercharger on I-5 between Corning and Manteca. They are 173 miles apart and the head winds on I-5 can reduce range such that range anxiety prevails. For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla put all four Sacramento Supercharging stations 30 miles from I-5? So often I have to make a 60 mile roundtrip detour to complete my trip down I-5. And sometimes that roundtrip takes two hours in heavy traffic. Just saying....

What surprises me is the lack of recent California permits. Sometimes a location will have construction start or even go live without a permit being listed on supercharger.info web site but except for that explanation there hasn't been a permit listed in California for over 6 months. For a state with reported charging delays and a high concentration of vehicles you would assume there would be a concentrated effort to open more locations. Does anyone know if Supercharger.info lists permits when existing supercharger stations are being expanded? Perhaps there is activity we're just not seeing.

For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla put all four Sacramento Supercharging stations 30 miles from I-5

My guess is they thought it was a good fit for traffic to and from Reno and Tahoe, and through traffic on I-5 is a secondary concern. They may have good data to back that up, too. The Bay Area is full of Tesla owners, and Bay Area residents tend to go to that area frequently. I agree that it's frustrating if you're coming from north of Sacramento, but maybe they'll fill that gap soon. Personally I'd like to see a supercharger at the junction with 12, near Lodi.

What surprises me is the lack of recent California permits. Sometimes a location will have construction start or even go live without a permit being listed on supercharger.info web site but except for that explanation there hasn't been a permit listed in California for over 6 months. For a state with reported charging delays and a high concentration of vehicles you would assume there would be a concentrated effort to open more locations. Does anyone know if Supercharger.info lists permits when existing supercharger stations are being expanded? Perhaps there is activity we're just not seeing.

That's right, because supercharge.info depends on crowdsourced reports. If no one notices the permit, it's a surprise.

My guess is they thought it was a good fit for traffic to and from Reno and Tahoe, and through traffic on I-5 is a secondary concern. They may have good data to back that up, too. The Bay Area is full of Tesla owners, and Bay Area residents tend to go to that area frequently. I agree that it's frustrating if you're coming from north of Sacramento, but maybe they'll fill that gap soon. Personally I'd like to see a supercharger at the junction with 12, near Lodi.

My vote would be Arbuckle, since it would also serve those using 505... or Williams to serve those going over to the coast. Lodi is a good idea too. If Tesla follows through with their goal of doubling SC's in 2017 (which based on the permits pulled so far... looks like a pipe dream), we should be getting about 45 more Supercharging stations in California the next 10 months :rolleyes:

"Tesla plans to double the number of Supercharger locations in North America by the end of 2017, the company said in an investor letter on Wednesday." Tesla plans to double the number of Supercharger stations in North America this year

For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla put all four Sacramento Supercharging stations 30 miles from I-5?
I think it was the same logic CalTrans used not to have a northbound rest stop between:
Mile Marker 445 – Westley
and
Mile Marker 557 – Dunnigan

There is a southbound one, but not a northbound one. So all the trucks sleep overnight under the US99 overpass.:confused:
California Interstate 5 – Interstate Rest Areas

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo and EV-lutioin
I write this knowing there is little sympathy for Californians complaining about Supercharger locations, but here I go.

We need another Supercharger on I-5 between Corning and Manteca. They are 173 miles apart and the head winds on I-5 can reduce range such that range anxiety prevails. For the life of me I don't understand why Tesla put all four Sacramento Supercharging stations 30 miles from I-5? So often I have to make a 60 mile roundtrip detour to complete my trip down I-5. And sometimes that roundtrip takes two hours in heavy traffic. Just saying....

According to evtripplanner.com, routing on I-505 through the Vacaville SuperCharger and Ca 113 south to Ca 120, adds only 12 miles and 30 minutes to your route. Not as convenient as charging at, say, I-5 and I-80 intersection, but much better than a 60 mile detour through Rocklin/Roseville or Folsom.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: GSP and EV-lutioin
According to evtripplanner.com, routing on I-505 through the Vacaville SuperCharger and Ca 113 south to Ca 120, adds only 12 miles and 30 minutes to your route. Not as convenient as charging at, say, I-5 and I-80 intersection, but much better than a 60 mile detour through Rocklin/Roseville or Folsom.

Good route finding! I think you mean Ca 12. To me it looks more like 22 miles more and some those roads are a fair bit slower than I-5, so I am not sure it would help much. Plus it negates the opportunity to our beautiful state capital :)

Here's something to put things in perspective. Look at teh map of Canada. Look at the projected map of Canada. Notice how there's NO plans to fill in the vast gaps in the map of Canada. I live right in the middle of the biggest gap, where there's no superchargers.

Reactions: GSP

We need another Supercharger on I-5 between Corning and Manteca. They are 173 miles apart....

Must be an S-60. Or you could slow down. Just sayin'.

I keep preaching, either to the choir or to the angry crowd, "Everybody needs more range!!!!" This area, north I-5, is where I live. 90D! wish I had 100D!

Just north of Sacramento, Natomas area, right before the interstate 5, Highway 99 split would be the best. Restaurants nearby, and it is not too far if someone is using Highway 50 or 80. Although, 50 and 80 are pretty well covered with other superchargers.
Diverting to Vacaville or Roseville/Rocklin can be a pain in traffic.

Reactions: EV-lutioin
I hear ya, and, really, I'm rooting for you to get more convenient SuperChargers. But my Model X arrives in March and in the whole state of Pennsylvania, we have a total of 8 Superchargers. Eight. Just eight. Feel better?
I don't know about how the Californians feel about that, but I consider my state fortunate: we have ten! And I am in "Supercharger Heaven," with six Supercharger Stations within Tesla distance of my remote mountain home. Unlike some here, I got my Model S because it could easily do road trips, so having that bounty of Supercharger Stations was a big factor in my decision to buy it.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Ulmo
I believe on another thread that there was a vague comment by S-Dog (he seems to have clairvoyant powers) that Interstate 5 just north of Sacto is due to receive a Supercharger "soon."

Regarding using Vacaville and SR113 to SR12 to reach Interstate 5: There are also possible delays due to the handful of drawbridges that SR12 crosses, including the Sacramento River at Rio Vista. Those delays could easily add 15 minutes to the drive. And sometimes traffic is slow on SR12 because of the farm equipment using the highway.

I agree that Williams would be a fine candidate for a Supercharger. It would not only help the north-south travelers, it would also open up travel to and from Lake County and US101 at Ukiah. Northcoasters would use SR20 to meet up with Interstate 80 just west of Donner Summit, and avoid driving south to Sac.

And while we are at it, Susanville needs some love too. Washingtonians and Oregonians could use it to reach Interstate 80 at Reno or to continue south to Lost Wages or Arizona.

Must be an S-60. Or you could slow down. Just sayin'.

I keep preaching, either to the choir or to the angry crowd, "Everybody needs more range!!!!" This area, north I-5, is where I live. 90D! wish I had 100D!

With a 90D MX in a strong head wind, 173 miles is hard to make with a full charge even driving below the speed limit. Full charge is 220 miles (after 10% degradation in the first year), it is quite easy to burn 47 miles of range in a head wind. Not a fan of range anxiety :eek:

Reading this on my phone, do please excuse me if others have already answered appropriately.

Supercharge.info is crowd sourced. By in large, we here on TMC are that crowd. One of us emails the webmaster at supercharge.info, and he updates the database. So, with very few exceptions he doesn't know anything before one of us. He isn't notified of permits, unless one of us hears about it and notifies I him. Tesla sure doesn't keep him updated.

If you find out about a permit or any other progress in making or expanding a SpC, notify him. Please.

Within 12 hours I got a nice response from Tesla about the need for a Supercharger on I-5 between Manteca and Corning!

Hi Marc,

Thank you for your email. We are actively scouting for a 2017 site location in Sacramento to support the I-5 route, but we are still in the early stages of deployment. There are a number of scenarios that can affect the timeline for a new site so we cannot make guarantees about opening dates, but we are working hard to open as many sites as quickly as we can. We understand the need for more Superchargers, especially across California, and we are excited to announce new sites on our website.

We appreciate your patience, enthusiasm, and support in Tesla and our Supercharger technology. Keep checking our website for more Supercharger announcements this year!

Thank you,

The Tesla Supercharger Team

And while we are at it, Susanville needs some love too. Washingtonians and Oregonians could use it to reach Interstate 80 at Reno or to continue south to Lost Wages or Arizona.
I was very pleased to see a Supercharger open up in Klamath Falls, OR. But it would be great to have a Supercharger between Reno and Klamath Falls, thus linking US-395 in California/Nevada with US-97 in Oregon. We've driven that way (prior to owning a Tesla), after some time in Reno, to access Bend, OR; Crater Lake National Park, OR; Lava Beds National Monument, CA; and Lassen Volcanic National Park, CA.

Susanville is a good crossroads for a Supercharger, but it's less than 90 miles from the Reno Supercharger and about 168 miles from Klamath Falls. So another Supercharger in Canby, CA or thereabouts would be helpful.

I have to believe that, with Gigafactory 1 in the Reno area, Tesla will want to facilitate travel on all major highways leading out of Reno. US-395 North, into northeastern California and central Oregon, seems like the next logical route to support.

Last edited: