Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another car tax

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get in while you can kids, NSW Labor to the rescue to seize more of your money with another car tax.
In brief, 7% on anything over $100k.
Yet again, we can't learn from history or anyone else

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw...es-and-midwives-20190225-p5105s.html#comments
At some point governments have to realise that taxing more instead of cutting stupidity and waste is very bad for the economy.
I guess they are missing the stamp duty on overpriced sydney houses

Maybe if high income earners and corporations didn’t spend so much time and effort in minimising their tax or engaging in creative accounting structures, Governments wouldn’t need to do this to fund the services to the level and standard we expect as a society. Reap what we sew, and all that.

Anyway from what I’ve read the tax is not that much, 7% of the value over $100k. So a $200k car will have its price increased by $7k. People pay that for EAP.

Best we cut back on the government delivering services directly and contracting private providers instead, so we don’t have so many $80K+ salary workers facebooking or wandering aimlessly all day long
And how has that worked out over the past 20 years where it’s been done? Can anyone think of any examples where a private contractor delivers a formerly government provided service to a higher quality and lower or comparable cost than the situation prior? Do they outnumber the examples where the opposite is true?

Maybe if high income earners and corporations didn’t spend so much time and effort in minimising their tax or engaging in creative accounting structures, Governments wouldn’t need to do this to fund the services to the level and standard we expect as a society. Reap what we sew, and all that.

Anyway from what I’ve read the tax is not that much, 7% of the value over $100k. So a $200k car will have its price increased by $7k. People pay that for EAP.

$1000 extra for a $150k car, $2000 extra for a $200k car.

Lets cut back on the politicians pay check first, and the pensions for life they get. Then I'd more than happy to shell out for nurses. They are bloody good at their jobs and deserve much more.
I think what politicians are paid as base salary is OK, I wouldn’t want their job for that, but they should have the same superannuation rules as everyone else and the pensions are a joke as most of them become “consultants” immediately after leaving parliament and so earn big bucks on top of the “pensions” which are paid regardless. That’s not right.

I once had an argument about this with a NSW MP, who defended the arrangements on the basis that their job is “unique” and they can be sacked by the public at any election and lose that income. I replied by saying they have more certainty of tenure than anyone working in the private sector. So, no, their job is not “unique” in that regard.

Reactions: Tension

Maybe if governments didnt keep taxing and levying and taxing then companies wouldn’t feel the need to creatively minimise their tax as allowed under australian law

Maybe if governments didnt keep taxing and levying and taxing then companies wouldn’t feel the need to creatively minimise their tax as allowed under australian law
Just because something is legal doesn’t make it ethical or moral. The “what’s in it for me” attitude also infects the thinking on addressing climate change - everyone would be better off overall if everyone just did their bit without trickery. Same with taxation. People squeezing down the tax balloon in their corner of existence just forces it to pop out somewhere else and we get taxes like this one. As I said, reap what you sew.

Reactions: Blue heaven
But this also penalises someone who is not rich, but really likes nice cars and takes years to save for one.

It also completely circumvents the whole point of the GST, by effectively adding a Sales Tax to a subset of vehicles.

Reactions: Tension