Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another charging battery life thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the flip side, if it was so great at losing heat to the ambient air it would be disastrous in the winter, in places like where I live. The battery would never gain any heat by itself. I've even seen someone sell a kit to further insulate the bottom of the battery and the coolant tubes :) I'm tempted to insulate just the tubes, it might help in the winter and wouldn't hurt in the summer since the cooled coolant would keep its cool until it gets to the battery instead of losing some of it to exterior heat.

Reactions: sleepydoc
Using TesLax and ScanMyTesla I noticed some interesting data:
- Ambient temperature 20’C; pack temperature 29’C (after driving 20mi). It takes a long time to passively cool off the pack. The active cooling kicks above 40’C. Air cooling while driving does not have meaningful effect
- The car was passively cooling until it went to sleep. Then it fired the active cooling for about 30sec and then it turned it off. I guess it was part of going to sleep.
- There is some discrepancy between what the car shows as W/mi and projected range and what the apps show. Both apps show lower consumption and range. SMT shows 5kWh reserve on the battery - that may have something to do with it.
I was surprised how warm the pack was despite the ambient temperature.

Run SMT while you're pre-conditioning, on the way to a SuperCharger. And then again while you're actually at the SuperCharger.

Hint: Tesla wants your Supercharging experience to be as quick and painless as possible. And most users, not knowing any better, think they want the exact same thing. Good for Tesla. Good for you. Not so great for your pack.

Reactions: Boza
Run SMT while you're pre-conditioning, on the way to a SuperCharger. And then again while you're actually at the SuperCharger.

Hint: Tesla wants your Supercharging experience to be as quick and painless as possible. And most users, not knowing any better, think they want the exact same thing. Good for Tesla. Good for you. Not so great for your pack.
In general, I avoid SC. I use them only when there is no other option like on a long trip.

Reactions: Regaj