TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another cleaning question...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Eeyago, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

This may have been asked & answered before, but couldn't find any search hits on the subject. So I apologize in advance if there is a thread on this subject matter.

Last week I polished my car and noticed afterwards that the long plastic-type piece that runs under the doors is now a hazy white. There are other parts of the car with this same material as well. Anyone encounter this same issue? How did you restore it back to a nice luster black? I'm considering just wrapping these parts of the car, as they are quite bothersome to look at, if no solution is found.

Thanks!

2. Tacket

Tacket Member

Did you use a spray on wax? There are some spray ons (Meguiar's comes to mind) that are not supposed to create the white residue on plastic that you are seeing.

3. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

I used that Honda Pro glaze that everyone has been raving about.

4. JPP

JPP Active Member

FWIW, Griot's Garage (www.griotsgarage.com) has excellent products including special cleaners for vinyl & rubber etc. Not a paid shill, just a happy long time customer.

5. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Im am quite satisfied with the "wax as you dry" product Ive been using....

Car looks beautiful after a bath and no was on anything...

6. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

What do you mean with the term "polish." Did you use an abrasive solution to remove swirls on the car? Did you simply wax or put a sealant on?

I would try cleaning the trim with an all purpose cleaner (APC) such as Meguiars. After you clean it, use some trim restoration products. I like Poorboys Trim Restorer. I recently put on Gtechniq C4, and it looks great. (It also deepened the faded look on my wife's Subaru.)

7. Eeyago

Eeyago Member

Thanks guys for your replies. I cleaned the plastic trim with a citrus APC and then applied a Mother's plastic trim restorer product. Worked like a champ!