Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another close call

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This scenario, which happens all too often, is a great reason for Tesla to implement a rear-facing radar unit that would signal a warning if the car behind is coming up quickly and is at risk of rear-ending you. Such a warning would be useful if there is room to move over before the collision occurs. I've avoided being rear-ended twice because I happened to have been looking in the rear-view mirror and saw the car coming up fast. I had time to move over to the next lane as the car behind me plowed into the rear of the car that was previously in front of me. Such a feature could also be used to automatically flash your brake lights while the warning is being issued. Just thinking out loud.

Situational awareness saves another Tesla!
Kudos to Brightonuk for watching the mirrors and reacting quickly. It's a pet peeve I pound into my wife/kids' ears regularly. I was nearly rear ended last week in an ice storm but because I had been watching my mirrors I was able to power out the way of a spinning Super Duty F250. Also have dashcam: TESLA Pittsburgh.com: The Ice Queen
Considered a rear camera but the wiring complexity was more than my DIY ambition-- and I figured there'd be little chance of any crash being my fault if I were hit from behind.

I also try to make a habit of checking my rear view in situations like that where I have dramatically slowed down on a road where typically one would not slow down that much, like that freeway interchange ramp. I've seen the same thing: car behind isn't paying attention and doesn't notice that traffic has slowed well below the speed limit then reacts too late to stop in time.

Distracted driving causes many accidents...leave yourself an escape route if possible.

Another local owner (who is on TMC) was rear-ended a couple of weeks ago at the speed limit on a highway. Says he looked up in his rear-view mirror, and the headlights were coming at him too fast, and crunch. Texting, texting, texting.

Another local owner (who is on TMC) was rear-ended a couple of weeks ago at the speed limit on a highway. Says he looked up in his rear-view mirror, and the headlights were coming at him too fast, and crunch. Texting, texting, texting.

Maybe that textor needs to free up his steering wheel even more by getting one of these:

bfe29799dc97d892629ed820b1032629.jpg

17da4bf77a330c856e26763e1b0e358f.jpg

7ade0e598f5589d666bd6b2f4e4768c2.jpg

@newscutter, I had a similar situation a month or two ago with someone tailgating me in the Leaf in the middle of an ice storm. They were less than 100' off my bumper and I was working to stay on the two-lane county road at 30 mph. After a couple miles of them doing this and no oncoming traffic during the whole time, I simply turned on my flashers and put the car in neutral to coast to a stop. They finally got the idea and passed me....

@newscutter, I had a similar situation a month or two ago with someone tailgating me in the Leaf in the middle of an ice storm. They were less than 100' off my bumper and I was working to stay on the two-lane county road at 30 mph. After a couple miles of them doing this and no oncoming traffic during the whole time, I simply turned on my flashers and put the car in neutral to coast to a stop. They finally got the idea and passed me....

The last time something like this happened to me, I passed him again a few minutes later. For some unknown reason he had decided to park his SUV in a ditch?

The last time something like this happened to me, I passed him again a few minutes later. For some unknown reason he had decided to park his SUV in a ditch?

:biggrin: HA!

Had there been better pull off options I might have. I was being generally successful "enforcing" a gap by dropping back and whooshing forward a few times. My son has-- more than once-- helpfully suggested we add a sign to the back of the car "You can't afford to hit me". I somehow doubt it would have the desired effect.