Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another collapsed front seat from rear-end accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this MY part-out on eBay - Tesla Model Y Doors Suspension Interior Drive Unit Motor Wheels Rims Partout | eBay

Hard to 100% tell, but if you look at the position of the driver's seat back, it looks like it collapsed like a previous posting where a passenger-seat collapsed when an MY was rear-ended.

It is also discouraging to see how much the rear-end crumples. I fully understand this is good for absorbing crash energy, but seriously, in 2 rear-end accident photos, there is no way a 3rd-row passenger survives either one of these accidents.

Been saying these cars are low quality...way overhyped.
I agree regarding fit and finish and materials being low grade. The attraction is the technology and how the thing drives - and the fact it is electric... Tesla has an edge with their battery technology but - depending on what gets announced at battery day next week - if they sell batteries to other car manufacturers - what will their edge be? I believe at some point - especially if they made the S&P - significant scrutiny and press would be on the quality aspects. This is something the legacy manufacturers do not have as much of a problem with.

No denying that Tesla has some QC issues with paint and 'panel gaps', but to sit back and criticize about the car being low quality, flimsy, light metal, etc, just shows your lack of understanding on how cars are purposely built.

The cars of today are designed to absorb impact (crumple zones). We wouldn't want to see the snowflakes of today getting hurt when they rear end other cars because they are distracted by social media on their cell phones.

I saw this MY part-out on eBay - Tesla Model Y Doors Suspension Interior Drive Unit Motor Wheels Rims Partout | eBay

Hard to 100% tell, but if you look at the position of the driver's seat back, it looks like it collapsed like a previous posting where a passenger-seat collapsed when an MY was rear-ended.

It is also discouraging to see how much the rear-end crumples. I fully understand this is good for absorbing crash energy, but seriously, in 2 rear-end accident photos, there is no way a 3rd-row passenger survives either one of these accidents.
When I was rear ended in a non Tesla, the seat recliner mechanism broke. It may be designed that way to reduce the force imparted on the driver. Plus, I'm heavier and taller than average and all mechanical parts have a limit.

Regarding 3rd row rear collision, the S had an additional cross beam installed when there was a 3rd row to reduce cabin intrusion.

Reactions: hgmichna and Jewel
No denying that Tesla has some QC issues with paint and 'panel gaps', but to sit back and criticize about the car being low quality, flimsy, light metal, etc, just shows your lack of understanding on how cars are purposely built.

The cars of today are designed to absorb impact (crumple zones). We wouldn't want to see the snowflakes of today getting hurt when they rear end other cars because they are distracted by social media on their cell phones.
....purpose built to be crappy eh?? uh-Kay....

Yep, additional reinforcements might be more of the upgrade cost than just tossing a couple extra seats back there and profit. $3,000 is a lot extra to slap two (likely very small) extra seats in the car and even seems to be a lot if they're trying to capture more profit on those versions (I mean the white interior is only $1,000 upgrade and paint colors are only $1,000, again, two extra seats is probably only a few hundred bucks each for Tesla. $1,000 to $1,500 probably would largely be profit for Tesla... unless there is some extra structure work going on...)

The front seat giving way can save the person's life that sits on it. Safety in a car crash is complex.

If the front seat holds firm, it can smash the person against the dashboard or steering wheel, injuring or killing him. Conversely, if the rear-end crash is extremely violent, a breaking backrest in front can injure or kill a passenger in the back, though more often than not the rear seats are empty.

But in most rear-end crashes it is desirable that various parts around the persons give way to some reasonable extent. It's all compromise.

In any case, you cannot simply say that nothing in the car should break or that something breaking is necessarily bad design. It's not so simple.

Reactions: frankvb