Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Convert!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to a friend's house for dinner, first time with my Model S. He wasn't so hot on all-electric and had the same perception I had about electric cars being boring to drive and missing the exhaust note of ICE cars. He's got an F10 M5 and a Range Rover for the wife, long story short they both drove my S and loved it. They said they'd check out the Model X as the wife's lease is coming up soon for the Range, before I even got home they text me that they Reserved their X!

Gotta love Tesla!

Regarding gas prices... One thing that could lower US gas prices is building one or more new refineries. Which are not being allowed by government decree. With only a set number of refineries, they are, shall we say, production constrained.

Regarding gas prices... One thing that could lower US gas prices is building one or more new refineries. Which are not being allowed by government decree. With only a set number of refineries, they are, shall we say, production constrained.

Citation needed.

Petroleum companies have been closing existing US refineries. An example was the Conoco Philips refinery in Traynor, PA which was closed because they didn't see it being worth upgrading it to take heavier crude. It was later sold to Delta Airlines who modified it and upgraded it to produce more aviation fuel as a price hedge. Delta swaps the other Traynor petroleum products for aviation fuel from refineries in other locations.

Refineries have been expanded in Texas. Notably, there's a refinery half-owned by a Saudi company that was expanded significantly.

Is this a national decree, or are you just describing the cumulative effect of decisions in various localities?

Refineries are incredibly expensive to build, and they the construction timeline is looooong. Typical payback period is 20 years. Given that the prospects of a new refinery anywhere in North America running at full output for 20+ years are shaky at best, no petroco is willing to put the hundreds of millions (billions?) into building a refinery that may never turn a profit.