Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another cracked wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list of people who have a cracked 21" wheel. I've never hit anything hard with my car. No curbs, no potholes. The tire and rim are pristine except where this crack developed. $1150 for a new wheel. Seems like there's almost enough of us for a class action suit.

Add me to the list of people who have a cracked 21" wheel. I've never hit anything hard with my car. No curbs, no potholes. The tire and rim are pristine except where this crack developed. $1150 for a new wheel. Seems like there's almost enough of us for a class action suit.

That's more than all 4 of my 21" wheels which I bought for $940 shipped.

My new grey 21" wheels.....

I had a horrible experience with the 21" Turbines on my P85D and have been telling everybody to avoid them if at all possible. After paying $4500 for the "upgrade", I hit one pothole at about 30-40mph and lost two tires which ended up at around $1100 after towing. Then a month or so later I noticed one of my wheels was completely cracked. This wasn't either of the wheels that hit the pothole and in fact I have no idea how that cracked (tire was fine).

Rather than pay the money for the new wheel, I spent $1k on four 20" wheels and $1k on four new tires. I couldn't be happier (well, unless I had saved that $4500 up front).

Geez I had 2 blows on the same wheel, a couple of months apart.
Both deep hits with instant pops...don't want to hear that sound again......but the wheel has thankfully held up.
Roadside Assistance took care of me both times, no towing.

Despite it all, I love the 21" turbines.

I talked to the local Porsche dealer who we use for my wife's Cayenne Turbo. They hooked me up with a local guy who does wheel repairs. $150 including remounting and balancing. Can't beat that!! They said their customers use this guy all the time and he does great work.

Pictures please?

Don't see how a crack could show up without an impact so pictures would help.

Thx.

Three of my 21" turbine wheels cracked after 70k miles. Tesla replaced 2 on 12/16, but refused to replace the third that cracked in 1/17. I'm switching to 19" wheels.

This is one of the cracks that develops on the inside of the turbine wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.JPG
    IMG_1390.JPG
    236.5 KB · Views: 994
I had 21s and summer tires on my P85. I started to feel some vibration and noticed slow leaks to one of the tire. When I took it to the tire shop they told me that I had a bend on the outer rim and a crack on the inner rim lip. A new 21 was $1200, but they were able to send it out to a rim repair show. For $300 they welded the crack and were able to fix the bend, then powder coated the entire rim to match the paint. When I visited Tesla the service manager told me that they do not send out rims for repair and that had they found the problem I would have had to coordinate the repair myself. He did mention that welding the crack (depending on how bad the damage was) was actually fine.