Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another cracked wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious as I am new to Tesla but if this is a cracked wheel and under factory warranty why would this not be 100% covered. That is not normal wear and tear.
They claim it was damage from a pothole. But I haven't hit any. There's no other visible damage to the wheel, not even curb rash and the tire isn't damaged either. It's a BS cop out. I'd fight it but it's not worth my time. Just pay for it to be fixed and move on.

Reactions: Indpowr
Yeah. I do. Can't be any worse than the POS wheels that come on it. It's just aluminum. The worst that will happen is that it would crack again. Big deal.
Yes, race wheels are inspected and welded on a regular basis :cool:

You mean in public driving conditions with potholes or do you mean on smooth race tracks where the wheels can be inspected each time they are swapped out within a few miles rather than 30 or 40K miles?

Wheels should be able to withstand pot holes. So they are cheap cast so one piece forged would be better in the long run

Which is why thousands of Tesla owners have chose wheels from our collection.

19" TST for the MS owner who is sick of 21" Turbine bending, cracking or ride quality.

20" TST for the MS owner who is sick of the same reasons above.

21" Forged Wheels for the MS owner who wants to maintain a 21" look while reducing unsprung weight and retaining greater range.

All wheels from our collection are specifically engineered and loaded rated for a Model S (19", 20", & 21") or X (20" & 22).
Our wheels use original oe tires, use the factory lug nuts, use the oe tpms and accept the factory center cap. #ALLORIGINAL

Black-Model-S-2016-19-TST-matte-black.jpg

deep-blue-metallic-tesla-model-s-20-tst-metallic-grey-13.jpg

satin-black-tesla-model-s-p100d-21-inch-forged-wheels-gloss-black-ts115-01.jpg

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: EVSteve and sorka
Which is why thousands of Tesla owners have chose wheels from our collection.

19" TST for the MS owner who is sick of 21" Turbine bending, cracking or ride quality.
20" TST for the MS owner who is sick of the same reasons above.
21" Forged Wheels for the MS owner who wants to maintain a 21" look while reducing unsprung weight and retaining greater range.

Does your post suggest that the 21" forged wheels are still more prone to bending or cracking than 19"/20" cast?

BTW, nice looking wheel photos :cool:

Sorry. Have to urge extreme caution in wheel repair. The loads are complicated and the stakes are high.

Are you sure you can control your car if the bead cracks suddenly and you instantly loose one tire? You never push your Tesla to the edge?

Are you willing to be responsible for the safety of all the future mechanics that work on your car? I personally had to investigate an accident where a tire mechanic died when the top of his skull was blown off when a bead cracked and flew off during a tire change.

I know I wouldn't be able to enjoy driving my car hard knowing I had rim with a history of cracking and weld repair

Was the welder certified? Did they x-ray the repair? Dye Penetrant? Anything to check the quality? How did they determine what alloy the rim was and what the correct weld material and heat treat should be?

Sorry. Have to urge extreme caution in wheel repair. The loads are complicated and the stakes are high.

Are you sure you can control your car if the bead cracks suddenly and you instantly loose one tire? You never push your Tesla to the edge?

Are you willing to be responsible for the safety of all the future mechanics that work on your car? I personally had to investigate an accident where a tire mechanic died when the top of his skull was blown off when a bead cracked and flew off during a tire change.

I know I wouldn't be able to enjoy driving my car hard knowing I had rim with a history of cracking and weld repair

Was the welder certified? Did they x-ray the repair? Dye Penetrant? Anything to check the quality? How did they determine what alloy the rim was and what the correct weld material and heat treat should be?
Heat treat cast aluminum? Lol. This is a legitimate business. Not some crackhead in a back alley.

Urge all you want, do you have actual experience with welded or straightened aluminum rims?
If not, go to your local racetrack and find out where they get their rim maintenance. You should find a metallurgy expert with modern equipment. Talk to him about what is repairable and what is not. Talk about temperatures for bending and welding. Hopefully you will then agree wheels are maintainable.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
Cast aluminum alloys can be heat treated. Cast alloy A356 is widely used (it is very similar to 6061 in the wrought condition) and does very well in a T5 or T6 heat treatment.

I don't know what alloy Tesla uses. Does that welder?

And, I've been to Lincoln Electric Motorsports welding school. My TIG welds were the strongest in the class at test time. So, yes, I know what a good welder can do, and know how many hacks are out there.

So, use caution.