TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Another Crash..... :'(

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by jpwe10, Oct 11, 2013.

Tags:
  1. jpwe10

jpwe10 Member

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

The author has written other poorly done articles in the past. 'Didn't catch fire so that is good' probably doesn't appear in every article he writes about ICE accidents.

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

Yep more Tesla's on the road, chances of an accident go up.

Are we going to post every Tesla accident moving forward? I sure hope not, as no one cares.

If we did that for other brands there would be thousands of post daily.

Yawn.

Jalopnik=joke of a site.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Pretty amazing.

ku-bigpic.jpg

It would be interesting to see some Model S crash statistics. Anecdotally, it seemed the Roadsters had a disproportionately high rate of trying to go under the car in front.

5. DJung

DJung Member

I am interested in seeing Model S's involved in accidents. It's very impressive to see how well the Model S holds up. We should have one giant thread for accidents, just like the Model S sightings thread

6. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Not quite:

The force of the crash was so violent that it apparently ripped the wheels from the body.

What does it look like, was (s)he rear ended?

7. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

Shhhh. Every time Tesla gets covered in the press the more buzz and awareness it creates. Tesla has spent $0 advertising, yet has had effectively millions in free publicity. Why by the ads when you get them for free. :)

8. texex91

texex91 Banned

Except in the case of last week it wasn't positive publicity, and they lost about $2B in market cap and reputation might have been harmed. I'm still catching crap from people about my Tesla that catches fire. Maybe they should spend some money educating people.

These other accidents are just part of owning a car (as was the fire--just press and shorters decided to have a field day with it). At the end of the day the general public may or may not care.

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Main thing is that nobody got hurt. I like the Model S also because is such a safe car.

10. evme

evme Member

Yes, every time the car performs admirably and saves the owner's life is worth posting about ;).

There is a saying, all publicity is better than no publicity. The loss of 2 billion in market cap was not only due to the fire but also downgrade that happened same day. Tesla before lost more in the past due to downgrades which it recovered from just fine. It actually helps because then Tesla gets publicity of the stock dropping, shorts run in. And then it recovers burning the shorts and making even more publicity as it goes up. The haters are going to hate no matter what, though they don't realize their hate actually helps promote Tesla. To the average consumer, they see cars go on fire all the time and it doesn't matter to them really. But it creates buzz, and this buzz is what gets to the average consumer. Because they don't care about these incidents, they care about knowing what people are talking about. Conflict sells.

End of the day, Tesla sells their cars by making an awesome car. And that alone is what will get average consumers to commit. Good products. Good products sell themselves.

Also, that is the point of the showrooms. They are there to educate people, not sell cars. Tesla believes that if people know better and they make a good product, the car will sell itself.

11. Newscutter

Newscutter Member

Must be some damage we can't see here.... As it looks like the front and side airbags went off.

12. palmer_md

palmer_md Member

Very cool lights on the Police car. I've never seen that before, but it is a good idea.

13. Hybris

Hybris Member

Stockmarket is silly anyway. So who cares if you dont own TSLA? Loads of invester trying to find the next thingmpushin Tesla into silly value long before proven longterm performance. Sad but this is the sick part of our economy. Speculations, speculations, speculations...

love to see Tesla chrash pictures as it seems to just prove the great safety. As long as people are unharmed... Hate to see the first really bad crash. p85 in the hands of people that never drove a performance car... Sooner or later...

14. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Tex,
    We were going to see a fire one day and, given it was bound to happen, this was a "good one". There were lots of flames and such so people believed it was a real fire. Most "real fires" in ICE result in a burned out hulk. Not MS. This one really put on a barbecue on the nose and yet the rest of the car was fine. No one knew much about 1/4 armor plating on the bottom of the car before this incident and now we do. (I'm still having a hard time believing it is steel as was reported.) It took a big hunk of something to finally get around to doing significant battery damage which, like seeing bad wreck pictures where all MS occupants came out ok, is another good data point.

Sure, it would have been better if it never happened. But, if it is going to happen, I think it was the best possible case for Tesla.

15. brandonmbeard

brandonmbeard Member

That looks like where I tool the test drive at. Hope it wasn't a noob Tesla during a test drive :-(. Also looks like the test drive unit which was a Metallic Blue P85.

16. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

The S is so safe that after the crash the driver was found to have aged backwards by 5 years and his vision improved to 30/20 :)

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I can confirm that the bottom is 1/4" plate steel. I was also told it was hardened steel. Like the shackles on the 'uncuttable' padlocks.

18. dmfick

dmfick Member

texex91 - yes we do care - how they do in the wild is important.

19. texex91

texex91 Banned

Some do some don't--keep posting them, doesn't impact me either way.

Don't know of any other car forum that posts every crash--but hey, whatever floats your boat.

20. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

It is a 1/4" solid steel ballistic shield .