Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another dashcam did not record problem-what did I do wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Tesla Y. It had the original USB in place. I had not gotten around to getting SSD yet unfortunately. I have sentry mode on and dashcam setting was on Auto. I am able to view sentry mode videos from time to time. One day I parked at Target to run in to get travel supplies. I parked at the back of the lot and there were no cars around me (empty part of the lot) with my front facing the aisle and rear facing the parking spot behind me. It was dark. When I came out of the store, I got in and was still parked. Some of the toiletries dropped down and I had my hand on the steering wheel while my head was bend down picking them up of the floor when a lady who was cutting across the aisles slammed into the front of my car from the left. I hit my head on the steering wheel (since I was bending down picking up stuff) and by reflex just honked my horn for a few seconds. The airbags did not go off. I did not press the dash cam button! Did not think of doing that till 15-20 min later after I had gotten out and inspected the damage to our cars. So now I have footage from all these sentry events from 4 months prior to the accident, even sentry clips of the day before the accident and clips of me after the accident, but no actual accident video! Shouldn't it have recorded something for that type of impact? And why did it not record over the old sentry events? What did I do wrong?

Shouldn't it have recorded something for that type of impact?
I don't think it saves recordings for impacts. It saves videos:
  • When you tell it to.
  • When you honk the horn, assuming you have the option enabled.
    • It may only work when the car is in drive.
  • When a "Sentry" event occurs.
    • Which likely wouldn't have occurred in this case as the car was unlocked and the door open.
And why did it not record over the old sentry events?
It doesn't ever record over events. It only adds events. If you don't want the old ones you need to either delete them or reformat the drive.

What did I do wrong?

You didn't trigger a recording within 10 minutes of the event, or remove the drive within an hour so you could pull the footage from the one hour "loop" of video stored on the drive.