Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another death in a Tesla (Castro Valley, CA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a lot of damage to the back for a simple "run through the fence and into the pond" accident, isn't it?
Flipped over falling into the lake, and likely hit a tree. My guess is the car was found upside down on the bottom. The news report said there were several trees in the lake, which made the car hard to remove, so a lot of damage could have happened during removal.

I think it's super good to microscope Tesla accident like this, fatality or not. We look into these accidents and try to prevent them, that's how we improve.

Larger fleet sure leads to more accident scenes, but that's not the reason we consider any accident is "normal" or just "driver's fault".

Other cars have many accidents in an hour makes people numb about car accidents, that's the problem.

and indeed, I'm not happy about recent Tesla accidents. No matter how he runs off-road, but where is the EBS in this case? can't see the fence? same as the rear-ended fire truck case.

You can say Tesla is still safer than other manufacturers, but I expect Tesla to prevent exactly this kind accident at least.

I even wonder if the recent AP update gives people too much false positive safe feelings. AP is running smoother and smarter recently, but not necessarily safer as you have no idea when AP will fail.

It's a baby walker, feels safe, drives you far, but crash hard. Not a good metaphor but you know what I mean...

Last edited:
With the risk of being considered sarcastic I venture to say DUI/DWI was a factor. Saturday night is the deadliest time on US roads. He likely drowned while semiconscious, I hope that between the concussion and above the anoxia awareness was absent. RIP, thankfully he did not take any other souls to serve him as slaves on the Happy Hunting Ground, as Great Planes tribes believe.

Last edited:
Bears at it on twitter.

Talking / discussing poor lane markings could fool autopilot?

Twitter

I have no experience with AP. Anything to it?

anyone with some info we can reply on twitter with?

It's not very like AP because the system limits the speed to 5mph over the speed limit on undivided roads. The speed limit on this road was 35mph so the maximum velocity of AP would be 40mph. Given the amount of damage (trees knocked down, etc) makes it highly unprobeable that AP was involved).

The only thing I could see causing that is absolutely reckless speeds. Even being drunk doesn't really fit.