Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another discussion about EVs as they compare to ICEVs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That all sounds right, jbcarioca. A practical 600 mile range EV would seem to require some big technological breakthrough - big drop in battery costs, big increase in energy density, or maybe continuous wireless charging while traveling on electrified roads. I don't expect such breakthroughs any time soon, although you never know. In the meantime, I'll just use the wife's gas guzzler for road trips. I'm afraid that makes me 'mainstream'...
I wonder what breakthroughs are really likely? The advances in nano-technology in commercial volumes would appear to have major benefits in energy density, although costs might not be so positive. Solid electrolytes is another strong possibility for near-term advances. Of course, materials are themselves bringing benefits in weight reduction for cases, packaging and connections.

There are sizable investments being made around the world now that should begin to advance the state-of-the-art rapidly. JB's 7% per year, on average, was predicated on then-known possibilities. Now entities like Airbus are devoting serious attention, as well as all the German, Korean, Chinese and Japanese industrial groups with battery/BEV interests. The only major vehicle designing country that is not making a huge effort is the USA, which really only has Tesla/Panasonic with a bit of GM interest with their Tier One LG doing all the heavy lifting. Fiat-Chrysler is disdainful (anyway Marchionne is), Ford is half-hearted.

This in my opinion portends a near future with huge advances in vehicle propulsion including batteries, capacitors, some weird capacitor/battery combinations with new technologies and materials making such words as "Super" broadly descriptive of all sorts of advances. I think we'll have some major advances in motors, inverters, energy transmission, passive drains and thermal management (including reduced sensitivity to cold and heat) among other things. It seems to me all those things together could yield a practical 600 mile EPA range within five years. German investments, Airbus investments, Samsung/LG/Panasonic/Bosch et al will start bearing fruit.

The only sad part is that I doubt any US advances will be pretty much totally dependent on Tesla. That is a shame and a national disgrace.