Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another driver doesn't take responsiblity...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA

Attachments

• IMG_6290.JPG
    IMG_6290.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 100
  • Informative
Reactions: PtG62901
Haha, It's almost identical to the other one where the Model S crashed into a Van at fairly low speeds.

I wonder if this kind of "idiot driver" issue is also occurring with other makes of cars that have adaptive cruise control systems. They're all pretty similar in that they can't see stopped cars all the time.

Sounds like Tesla needs to revisit this lesson by Douglas Adams: "a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

It isn't going to solve the problem, but another episode in the excellent Walkthrough series which demonstrates the key features of Autopilot would be helpful.

Would probably need to be filmed on a private test track to simulate a range of situations in a safe and legal manner. So expensive/time consuming to create.

My car is Classic so I don't own AP car, but I have used a loaner AP car for a few days. I tested AP in various conditions in Tokyo and quickly found it can't be used here in a safe way, even on highways. Our divided highways in Tokyo are so much curved so Model S always cross the line or trying to hit the wall.

That's ok, Tesla need some more work to support narrow R curves.

I also tested AP in regular non divided roads with my two hands on steering wheel. Here, there are a lot of illegal street parked cars. FYI in Tokyo parking 1 second on the street and leaving the car will get you the ticket. But there are a lot of two-manned delivery trucks parking like 5 minutes here and there.

As you already guessed, AP tries to crash into EVERY parked car on the road. All of them. Every time it goes straight I had to intervene and avoid it. Here, road is narrow so to avoid a parked car, I need to cross the center line.

The point? I think anybody who uses AP and crash into a parked or disabled car on the side is NOT paying attention at all. After a few days driving with AP it's easy to know that AP can't avoid those cars. I don't understand why those AP crashing people trust AP so completely.

Reactions: EVie'sDad and BertL
The point? I think anybody who uses AP and crash into a parked or disabled car on the side is NOT paying attention at all. After a few days driving with AP it's easy to know that AP can't avoid those cars. I don't understand why those AP crashing people trust AP so completely.

My experience with Autopilot is similar. Few hundred miles over a few days with a loaner. It was evident from the first mile that it had to be heavily monitored and you needed to pay attention and be ready to take control. Just as the instructions say.

My basic self-preservation instinct dictated I pay attention and be ready to take control. I cannot fathom anyone thinking this was a self-driving vehicle after using it for more than a few minutes.

I don't think it's been mentioned here but reportedly the owner is a 33 year old programmer. I find it hard to believe a person that's employed as a programmer would think it's a fully autonomous car. Whether or not Tesla (in China) told him it's a self-driving car, at some point you have to think logically especially if you've used the current AP system.

See, this is what 'not paying attention' will get you when you enable auto-steering.
If his hands were not on the wheel, and he was not paying attention, then the driver is at fault. if his hands were on the rode and he just decided to wait and see what the car did, then he got what he deserved. A valuable, if not exspensive, lesson.