TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Another dumb idea, pedestrian low speed noise makers.

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by timk225, Jan 10, 2019.

1. timk225

timk225 Active Member

Tesla is preparing to make Model 3 more annoying but safer with noise machine

My response to this dumb idea is simple. NO. ABSOLUTELY NO. I refuse to have this operating in my 3, if they manage to sneak it into place during a service. I will take the car home and disassemble the front end enough to get in there and disconnect it.

Let people open their eyes and look before crossing the street! Take some personal responsibility, and if they don't, then survival of the fittest and smartest!

• Disagree x 16
    • Like x 10
    • Love x 8
    • Funny x 1
  2. Trevor B

Trevor B Banned

Drama much?:rolleyes:

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
  3. kbecks13

kbecks13 Member

4. wenkan

wenkan Member

Considering the slow progress installing spoiler and badge for P3D+ owners, I don’t believe they would ever try to “sneak in” this for us.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  5. Jdee2wheels

Jdee2wheels Member

#5 Jdee2wheels, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    I used to think this was a dumb idea, but since owning the model 3 I’ve had several instances now where people decided to cross mid street and didn’t realize my car was there before they stepped out and were clearly taken by surprise, likely do to lack of noise. Yes people should look both ways before crossing the street, but humans make mistakes, and I’d rather them not end up on the hood of my car and/or hurt because my car was too quiet. That said, I still don’t really want this on my car :)

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 1
  6. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Can we dial down the drama? It's a requirement to be compliant for new cars in 2020. Nobody is going to try and sneak into your car.

And for cars after 2020, it will be trivially easy for owners to disable if they want to. Like a five minute job.

But for those of you who can't wait and want one now:

Introducing 'EV-Horn'

:D

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  7. wdolson

wdolson Supporting Member

The noisemakers are being required by law. All new electric cars will have them soon, but hybrids on electric aren't required.

I think having an optional noisemaker that can be turned on by the driver is a good idea, but it's going to be really annoying on the freeway in rush hour traffic without a pedestrian in sight.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

@timk225

There's no requirement to retrofit older vehicles. I'm sure your car is fine.

9. DOCAL

DOCAL Member

Needs to be configurable. My black Model S needs to play as I drive around.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 1
  10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

Done and done. :) (we can load any sound clip you want on the ev-horn)

These are videos of the prototype EV-horn, not the finished product.

• Love x 4
  11. aaron0k

aaron0k Member

#11 aaron0k, Jan 10, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    The Fisker Karma had this back in 2011. I believe they had the sound designer from Knight Rider create it.

It definitely works as intended. I've grown quite fond of it, sounds a bit like my 1962 spaceship.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. OmahaG8

OmahaG8 Member

Could you rewrite that with more use of caps lock and exclamation points? It would go a long way to helping your point carry less merit.

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  13. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

So, where does one mount the speaker to make this thing useful?

14. Feathermerchan

Disable a required feature like disconnecting the airbags? Seat belts?

• Like x 3
  15. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight No Roads

16. homer214

homer214 Member

No thanks to this idea.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 2
  17. DrSmile

DrSmile Member

I am an avid cyclist, I ride thousands of miles a year. I have been passed by many Teslas going very slow to very fast. I have always heard them. The tire noise at even slow speed, really anything over 10 mph, is loud enough for anyone but a deaf person to hear, and if you're deaf an additional beeper isn't going to help at all. I view this as a solution looking for a problem.

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Love x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Yeah, you gotta drive super slow in parking lots for the same reason.

I love slowly ninja-stalking pedestrians walking down the middle of parking lot rows oblivious to me, then seeing them jump when they look over their shoulder and realize a car was there. Was even better in my large red Model S, LOL.

The Volt had a small “Pedestrian horn” for this purpose. Wasn’t as loud as the real horn, but could be used to let those deficient in situational awareness know you were there. Maybe I will get one of those bicycle bells or something. :)

• Like x 4
  19. Campfamily

Campfamily Member

Where I work I need to drive through a manned security gate. I love sneaking up on the guard early in the morning, when he/she isn't out waving lots of traffic through. I've actually had to roll down my window and say something to get the guard to look up from whatever they are doing in the guard shack to wave me through.

Love the idea of the configurable EV Horn, though!!

• Like x 1
  20. RSL2020

RSL2020 Member

Parking lots are always interesting, pedestrians rarely know I behind them or at least they act like it.

• Like x 1