Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another dumb idea, pedestrian low speed noise makers.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Leaf makes a whirring noise at low speeds too. You can't even hear it inside the car unless the windows are down. Pedestrian are often alerted to vehicles approaching from behind by engine noise. For blind people that's about all they have. And I've noticed that a lot animals that used to get out of the way when I had an ICE now don't even realize I'm coming. Many animals have much better hearing than eyesight that includes cats and dogs. A little noise at low speeds isn't going to ruin anyone's enjoyment of the Tesla. It probably should have a backup beeper like the Leaf as well. I think I said this before, but my Dad lost a workmate that was crushed by a dump truck that was backing up in the days before the beepers were required. No one wants to go through that, trust me.

Last edited:
At 1:40 of this youtube video you can hear the Porsche Taycan's pedestrian warning. Sounds pretty cool/spaceship like -

The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.

The comparison Porsche doesn’t want you to make is that against the Tesla Model 3 Performance. Same performance specs, similar charging speeds, track rated, longer EPA range(?), amazing handling characteristics, same general body size - only with more interior room particularly the back seat, and likely almost 2x cargo space... for about half the estimated price. Not to mention autopilot, Tesla’s integrated supercharger network, and rapid frequency of OTA upgrades. Mind you, I’m glad there is finally some good competition, but I would love to see this same test with the Performance Model 3.
They fear to release the 0-60 time! "Above 3 seconds" sound like anything from 3.2 to 3.5s. I assume it's not as fast as model 3 performance.
Also the "unlimited launch control" is obviously sub-par compared to "no launch control" of model 3. Even the model S P100D not using ludicrous+ mode will be faster than Taycan.

They fear to release the 0-60 time! "Above 3 seconds" sound like anything from 3.2 to 3.5s. I assume it's not as fast as model 3 performance.
Also the "unlimited launch control" is obviously sub-par compared to "no launch control" of model 3. Even the model S P100D not using ludicrous+ mode will be faster than Taycan.
From the "news" articles you'd think Porsche is all set to put Tesla out of business. ;) Unsurprisingly, their offering is way more money and less capable than an M3. And, of course, has no high speed charging network. I bet they're selling them at a loss as well.

From the "news" articles you'd think Porsche is all set to put Tesla out of business. ;) Unsurprisingly, their offering is way more money and less capable than an M3. And, of course, has no high speed charging network. I bet they're selling them at a loss as well.

This probably should be moved to the Mission 3/Taycan thread, but...

Porsche is relying on the new high speed CCS chargers that are deploying now. Very few are outside of western Europe at this point and it will be a long time before they can compete with superchargers in numbers. Porsche does plan this as a platform for the future and they will be coming out with a cheaper car down the line. Anything Porsche makes carries a premium because of the badge.

I suspect the Taycan will be well received because I'm sure the construction quality will be top notch and it will have the Porsche name. The splash for the Taycan may be a repeat of the Chevy Bolt. It was hailed as the big Tesla killer, but quickly faded from the headlines and has been a reasonable seller for a car stuck in the EV ghetto (cars that only sell to eco buyers and are never cross shopped with ICE), but has not broken into the mainstream like the Model 3.

Tesla has a sports car coming out a year or so after the Taycan that will probably outperform it in most ways - the new Roadster. Porsche may make more Taycans than Tesla makes Roadsters, but production numbers will probably be in the same ballpark for both. The prices will probably be similar too.