Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another electric car company may come to Menlo Park

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I appreciate you guys taking the time to think about it.

Zap! to move in next door to the Menlo Park store? I can't decide if this is a good thing or not.
Almanac : Another electric car company may come to MP
Tesla Motors' days as the only electric car dealership in Menlo Park may be numbered.

ZAP!, a Santa Rosa-based electric vehicle company, is in talks with the city to open a dealership at 550 El Camino Real — the site of the abandoned Buick/Cadillac/GMC dealership.
As you know, that's only about 300 meters down the street from Tesla. My guess is Zap hopes to benefit from Tesla's close proximity. Certainly doesn't help the EV image as a performance vehicle. Will make an interesting contrast, though. I would probably stop by for a look at some point. I wish the reporter could bother to do more research on Zap than just reading their website.

My guess is Zap hopes to benefit from Tesla's close proximity.

That is my thought as well... but we know (and certainly they know) that Tesla at that site is a short-term thing. I wonder how much good it will do them.

Of course, they should make the Tesla look good! And Tesla should make them look inexpensive...

If they get it, Zap would only be there a short time as well, since Stanford plans to build on all those lots at the same time once all the leases are up.

True! But I guess I was making the (bad?) assumption that once Tesla had land of their own in San Jose, they would move their sales there. I thought Tesla would move out before Zap.

Although, admittedly being across from Stanford Mall is a nicer location for shopping than being across from the Waste Treatment Plant...

True! But I guess I was making the (bad?) assumption that once Tesla had land of their own in San Jose, they would move their sales there. I thought Tesla would move out before Zap.
Yeah, I wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. That Menlo Park store is in a great location and also I think they probably have a pretty good deal on the rent. I'd think they would at least keep a store front there as long as they can. If the San Jose campus does work out, I suppose they might start doing Roadster drivetrain installations there since they could potentially build in a test track for validation. The current solution of trailoring the cars to Moffett is not sustainable.