Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another example of Tesla's communications problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tinm

2020 Model S LR+ Owner
May 3, 2015
New Mexico, USA
This specific one is minor but it is a classic example of glitches that simply should not exist with a company full of Silicon Valley software engineers who supposedly know how to build stuff.

Fact 1. I drove 1200 miles round trip to Tempe, AZ last week to have annual service done on my 2013 S which hit 96000 miles along the way. Booked hotels etc. The proverbial Tesla service trip.

Fact 2. Mere hours before we embarked on this long road trip, I got a call from Tesla Tempe saying hey, you know, you could have a mobile service tech do all this work in your driveway locally, no need to drive to Tempe, sure you wanna come all the way out here? (Of course I didn't wanna go all the way out there!) I tell the guy, a) I was told by the mobile service tech a few months ago, while he was standing in my driveway, that the 4/8/12/etc year annual service jobs required lifts etc and had to be done at a Tesla service center, so I assumed that was still the case and b) you should have told me earlier because c) we booked our hotels and we can't cancel the hotel reservations at this late date, so we have no choice but to do the trip.

Fact 3. We do the trip, Tesla does the service, we get home. On Feb 25th I get an email from Tesla regarding a "Lift Gate Plug Bulletin" which is some sort of technical bulletin for warranty work on my S's lift gate plugs. Email says I should schedule a mobile service tech guy to come to the house and do this warranty work on my car.

Question: Why didn't they just do this last week in Tempe? Why didn't this show up on the computer record for my car then? Why didn't anyone tell me? It would have saved them and me both time, no?

Fact 4: When one gets one of these emails saying one needs service, they tell you, please use our handy self-scheduling tool by clicking on a link and selecting a convenient date for the techie to come out to your house and do the work. Okay, so I click on the link to schedule the work. First thing it asks for is my address. Because I am now on Routezilla's website, not Tesla's, and clearly Routezilla and Tesla don't have a sufficient API flexibility for Tesla to pass personally identifiable information to Routezilla (or can't because of privacy policy reasons), it instead has to ask you to enter your street, city, state, and zip, oh, and also the last 6 digits of your VIN -- all information that Tesla already has and could, if it really wanted to, pre-populate into these web form fields so that customers don't have to re-type that data in every time they use the tool (I've had to use it 3 times in the past few months). It's a minor annoyance, nothing more, but it reflects the kind of "duh" design decision Tesla should have made but didn't.

Fact 5: So I get past the address/VIN form to the next page of the form which asks you to "Click on the day you would like service" but I discover that every single calendar date for the next fricking six months is booked. Here's the screen shot:
tesla-routezilla-fail1.png

The "Sorry we're all booked up this month" message in the blue area shown above exists for March, April, May, June, July, and August of 2019.

All of this is minor. But little minor annoyances become big problems when lots and lots of customers encounter them. Think of what I have to do at this point: email Tesla back, wait about a week for them to respond (if they ever do), letting them know their Routezilla is broken. I could try to call but nobody ever answers. Imagine thousands of customers now having to go through the same process. Little failures scale into big failures on Tesla's end. Which translates into a lot of wasted time on Tesla's end trying to fix this and do a lot of busy work to get back to everyone and of course, they'll drop the ball and fail to get back to some customers (maybe all, who knows), and customers will be like, why doesn't Tesla ever respond, and the cycle of failed customer/company communications (CCC) at Tesla continues.

C'mon Tesla.

That's... disappointing. Again. Hate to say it, but for the first time in... approaching 5 years of ownership, I'm seriously considering leaving the reservation as my available time for this nonsense approaches zero.

Here's how it will go - if I continue to enjoy roadtripping, there's no alternative to a Tesla unless and until some other (and it will probably take one of the fabled groups, consortiums, or cabals) manufacturers or entities manage a passable HSCI (high speed charging infrastructure). That's easily 5 years away, dribs and drabs notwithstanding. A 4-pedestal EA site is not exactly encouraging - hello, Baker.

Now, if I decide to not roadtrip as much, the game gets more interesting - multiple manufacturers are finally gaining some momentum in offering decent driver assist features. Not FSD, but driver assist features that ostensibly won't kill me during normal operation. See Subaru, Hyundai, Nissan, and even *twitch* GM although I wouldn't hold my breath there for a couple of years yet. One Cadillac model does not inspire confidence.

I had *hoped* by now that Tesla would have been at least semi-successful in fulfilling their promise of a mobile tech network with depots and such - a very cool idea. They'll have to get creative with mobile lifts, I'm thinking, to really drive value (see your situation in particular - the logistical misfires not included). Think about it - deploying a mobile lift x1000 versus clogging the SvCs? No brainer. A lot of details, sure, but never mind that.

And so it goes. Two steps forward, one step back. I'm sad to see the stores/galleries go, but it makes sense at this stage to pare those down to just a few in high-value markets. Nothing says they can't add one or two or pop-ups down the road when it's time for the Tesla pickup truck - done right, that will be a multiple category killer and people will wait in line for years for one. So there will be value in shortening the timeline to dethroning the F-150, for example.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
If it's any consolation, second-to-last time I phoned, Tesla (a) picked up pretty quickly, (b) the person at the call center actually knew what they were talking about, and (c) they tracked down the correct service center / mobile service people and made them contact me.

The service people proceeded to email when they'd been told to call me and I had to call again and have the person at the call center read them the riot act, but, baby steps...

So, phone 'em up.

My “favorite” bad communication story was we had our S booked for mobile service at our house for 3 weeks away. I want to get some things looked at on my car, so I book a regular service appointment for the same time at the SC 1 hour away, list what is wrong, and note that I already have a mobile guy coming to my house that day, could they just book him for two appointments? Lots of advance warning, saves time, etc. win win, I thought. I can’t book mobile service direct yet.

Radio silence from Tesla. I figure, well that sucked guess I have to take it in, so I drive my car in to the SC an hour away while the mobile service guy is at the house looking at our S. When I get there, they look at my notes (apparently for the first time) and go “oh. Those are all software bugs and will be fixed next update. You might as well just go home, here are your keys.” Well then. So I turn around and drive 1 hour home feeling like my time was completely wasted all for their terrible systems.

I never bothered trying to call through all this because my SC doesn’t answer the phone and I have never had much luck with the call center.

Edit: oh, I forgot another gem. While the mobile guy was replacing a decal on our S during this visit, he messed it up and only had one with him. So he offers to book a new appointment right then and my husband works out a new time. New appointment rolls around and...no show. Apparently the mobile service guy didn’t actually book the appointment. So now we still need to book another appointment yet again.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t recommend just waiting. I’ve talked about this in the investor thread, but I waited ~2 months for a tire repair(and, joy of joys, at the end of it they went ahead and replaced the tire without asking/telling me and threw away the old tire, voiding the warranty on it). If you don’t call, things usually fall through the cracks.

Your story, though, brings up something I dealt with today and have noticed for the last several times I needed to contact service: they’ll go ahead and book an actual service center appointment, and even if you ask if mobile service is an option still insist on the service center. Then, day of the appointment, they’ll call and offer mobile service. It’s a waste of their time, a waste of my time and disrupts the day(since you/I have already planned on the appointment).

The *first* thing they do, when handling service should be to check: “Can mobile service do this?”.

• Love
Never wait. I've had them claim they called me back when they didn't. Other times, they just lost my record entirely.

I think I've only had them respond to email, maybe, less than 50% of the time. Assume that your email went into the circular file and was never read.

If you really need to email, get the correct email address over the phone, email, then confirm over the phone that it was received (!!!)

Keep calling until you get something done. Things have improved since Jan 1, so you have a decent chance.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
So here it is March 20th. I sent four emails to Tesla since they emailed me on Feb 25th. No replies ever.

This morning I called. Got through to some customer service guy in California. A lot of dead air on the phone. He had no explanations for why nobody had ever replied. In fact all he offered to do was email the people I've been emailing and tell them to call me asap.

So: the clock is now ticking to see if they ever call me.

Oh I forgot another detail. A day or two ago fired up the iPhone Tesla app. Never tried the "Schedule service" option so I tried it. I filled in the form, typed in a long detailed explanation, and then noticed it wanted me to take the car to a service center in Colorado (LOL). No, that is not happening. Anyway when I got to the point where it said to continue in order to schedule an appointment, the app went busy for 2 minutes, then finally came back with an error message saying it encountered an error and essentially everything I did, including all the stuff I typed into the form, was lost.

See, this is why Tesla fails. This is amateur hour.

What the app should do is, when I fire it up, it shows me there is a service bulletin. In fact before I launch the app, there should be a number in a circle in the upper-right-hand corner of the app icon, indicating one or more notifications. Just like you see with the Messages app or Mail or anything. I should be able to then launch the app, see there is a service notification. The app should know exactly what the service bulletin is for. The app should know that this type of service bulletin can be handled by a mobile service tech -- no need to drive 8 hours to Colorado and add 800 miles to the odometer. It should just let me easily specify a date/time for an appointment, and presto, done.

Have you thought of not living in New Mexico? That could be half the issue.

That's one solution: wimp out and let the dealers win. I'm not ready to wimp out or let the dealers win.

But also: I lived in SoCal for 25 years. I was just in LA for the Model Y event and it was a glaring reminder why we moved to New Mexico. I spent all of my time in LA in a car just sitting in "soul-destroying" (as Elon puts it) traffic. The smog, the overpopulation, the general ugliness of urban blight, the crazily aggressive drivers, the endless endless lines of cars, millions of them, the whole area is a madhouse. We can thank the auto industry and the oil and gas industry for destroying any hope for good, Europe/Asia-style mass transportation and sane urban design 100 years ago, that left SoCal with nothing but roads, concrete, parking lots, and endless fossil-fuel-burning vehicles.

Rush hour in New Mexico = Two cars reaching their respective stop signs at the same intersection. No need to get on freeways just to go to the grocery store; it's right down the street, and yet I live in the mountains.

So, no, the solution isn't bail out on New Mexico, it's to kick out the dealer lobby and get the laws changed. We just have to fight meaner this coming year.

But I digress. This thread is about Tesla's abysmal record at company/customer communications.

By the way, it's been 4 hours and 10 minutes. Still no callback from Tesla.

So yes, tesla's communications are still borked.

Here's what I'd do: get a free weekday. Call Tesla. You'll get the Nevada or California call center. Get the name of the person there. Tell them you need to schedule a Mobile Service appointment. If they say they're going to email the other people, tell them that those people have not been emailing you back, and you need to get them on the PHONE and you need to do it NOW and you will wait on the phone while he gets them on the phone. Wait. He will either get them on the phone, or after an hour he will say that he can't. If he can't, demand to speak to his boss. Wait as long as it takes to get his boss. If you get fobbed off, call back the next day, explain that you were hung up on by ____, and demand to speak to the boss immediately, and say you'll wait on the phone as long as you need to...

When you get the boss, explain that you are unable to schedule an appointment for the next six months because the Mobile Service Team isn't answering their phones, and ask what they're going to do to fix it.

48 hours...

Also:

Me: Your honor, permission to vent a little?

Court: Granted.

Me: @$*(R&*@#&^R(*@&#^R(*&#^R(*&#$^R(#@$HFKLU@#GH$FKLGH#LK$FJGL#K$FGHL#KHF

https://www.engadget.com/2019/03/22/tesla-annual-servicing-now-as-needed

(having just driven 1200 mile round trip and spent $725 on annual service not to mention more money on two nights of hotels and meals and now Tesla says ha ha.... f*** y** T*****)

Ok I feel better.

(No I don't.)

OMG just got an email from Tesla . . . well technically from Routezilla.

It says

This is just a reminder that on Wednesday Mar 27 Tesla will be arriving between 11:30am and 11:30am to provide Mobile Service service.

If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at the number below.

Thank you!

Tesla

But here's the thing. I never set up this appointment! I didn't pick March 27th. I won't be here then. So, WTF Tesla!? Remember, they asked me to self-schedule an appointment back on Feb25th (see original post in this thread) and I couldn't because ALL TIMES were booked solid for the next full six months, right up until the end of August. I sent them screen shots and told them ok now what, please fix, and got no reply. I emailed again. No reply. I emailed a week later. No reply. I called. Human said he would email them and they would reply. They never did. Now I get this automated Routezilla email about some ghost appointment I never set up. For tomorrow. When I'm not here. WTF.

I just called them and got some guy who was clearly not in the mood to deal with a customer, and I told him the whole story all over again.

"So would you like to cancel tomorrow's appointment?" he asks.

"I did not MAKE an appointment for tomorrow," I told him. "So I can't cancel what I didn't schedule. Who did?"

"I-- I do not know," he said, sheepishly.

So it went. So now Tesla is supposedly going to send me another email to schedule another appointment. I told him nobody ever replied to any of the four emails or one phone call I have made in the past 5 weeks. Silence. Nothing. No concern.

Can you BELIEVE this company!?

• Love