Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another Feature Request-Built In Wrap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla used to offer a front end wrap as an option on the S. Several issues:

Applying a wrap over less than stellar paint is no prize (...and early Model S did not have the best paint jobs).
The crew applying the wrap/film at Tesla was not the best, either.

better to live it off, let the new owner inspect the finish, decide how they like it and how to protect it.

• Informative
Reactions: Andyw2100
How much does a factory-paint-job cost?

I paid about 4,000 GBP (so that would be a bit more in USD) for my full-wrap. If the paid cost, i.e. at point-of-sale price, is somewhere close to that it seems like a good idea. Presumably less so for a steel car which would need protection - although maybe that could be better provided by some means other than a coat of paint?

If it can be automated, I like it.

1. Gives customers a lot more choice on color
2. It can be repaired less expensively in many cases
3. Subsequent owners can change the color to suit their needs

Unfortunately wraps today don't cover a few areas; door jambs, for example. I'm guessing the aluminum would still need some form of clearcoat.

Last edited:
a friend of mine owned a Swift aircraft and was not painted. It was polished aluminum. It was beautiful.

Attachments

• Globe-Swift-Dave-Miller.jpg
    Globe-Swift-Dave-Miller.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 74
Unfortunately wraps today don't cover a few areas; door jams, for example. I'm guessing the aluminum would still need some form of clearcoat.
Wrapping could be done pre-assembly by robots, meaning jambs and other tricky surfaces would be easy, and wrap could cover all corners and edges -- something notoriously difficult/expensive to do with aftermarket wrapping.

I love the idea, but suspect it's an all or none proposition (you don't automate wrapping and design production for it unless you can simultaneously eliminate painting), and Tesla does not need yet one more revolutionary thing to evangelize... probably also the reason they might do it.