Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

another front license plate idea for model X. folding or retracting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi guys

having gone through all the iterations of front plate mounts for my MS four years ago (settled on J hooks and suction cups), I recently researched what's being done on the model X's for my new tesla.

the concern that I had with another J hook or toggle bolt installation is that over time, my grill on the MS broke at one of the J hooks.

I read about the storable type and got the show-n-go (which is not the same as the sto-n-sho - where you leave a bracket on the front spoiler, but can pull the license plate off). there is a motorized version, too, but I didn't really see the point (except maybe the fun of it), and the motor's thickness is likely to scrape driveways.

pix below show it installed. it definitely shows a bit, but it is black so it's not too bad. I considered moving the frame back a bit, but then the license plate is angling forward too much.

alternately, it is a very reasonable mount to leave there all the time.

I used just one screw with 3 strips of VHB tape on the under side of the front spoiler. I figure that's better than 3 holes in my blue bumper. can fill a black ABS hole pretty easily if needed.

now I can be more aerodynamic and have a nice looking bumper, except when I park in san francisco or berkeley, where I flip the plate up to avoid tickets.

IMG_2657.jpg
IMG_2669.jpg
IMG_2666.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2675.jpg
IMG_2668.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 10.23.08 PM.png