Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No warranty for you!

(Your rims appear to have been painted? That's a modification and it's obviously a contributing factor to the suspension abuse you've been doing to your car as paint is VERY heavy and unduly stressed your suspension beyond its design limits. So there!)

Seriously, there have been so many of these that I'd suggest an entry to this site so as to get these bad parts replaced before someone gets hurt, obviously at Tesla's expense:

safercar.gov

They are stickers and the vehicle is at 92k miles so it’s out of warranty anyway. While I agree the stickers weigh some amount, it’s more likely just normal wear and tear which caused the failure, ie metal fatigue, microscopic cracks. The wheels have been like that for 30k + miles and were balanced with the stickers on them.

They are stickers and the vehicle is at 92k miles so it’s out of warranty anyway. While I agree the stickers weigh some amount, it’s more likely just normal wear and tear which caused the failure, ie metal fatigue, microscopic cracks. The wheels have been like that for 30k + miles and were balanced with the stickers on them.

I was being sarcastic;-)

On a serious note, however, "normal wear and tear" is grossly inaccurate.

Suspensions should very, very rarely fail as yours did.

At highway speeds this could have resulted in many fatalities, not just in your car, but in others, particularly if you weren't on a divided highway.

Send that defect report in at SaferCar.gov ASAP; there have been far, far too many of these and there needs to be a recall. Help save some lives by sending your report to NHTSA.

Thanks.

It is not unusual for a suspension to take an almost unnoticed impact in normal driving. Sometimes it will fatigue a suspension piece, and not show up for many miles down the road.

When that piece finally fails, the driver will understandably blame the piece. Most service places can see the difference between a defective piece and normal impact caused failure.

I am amazed at how many curbed wheels I see, that owners never repair, or take to the shop for damage inspection. Hitting a curb can send impact jolts down the suspension as well.

It is not unusual for a suspension to take an almost unnoticed impact in normal driving. Sometimes it will fatigue a suspension piece, and not show up for many miles down the road.

When that piece finally fails, the driver will understandably blame the piece. Most service places can see the difference between a defective piece and normal impact caused failure.

I am amazed at how many curbed wheels I see, that owners never repair, or take to the shop for damage inspection. Hitting a curb can send impact jolts down the suspension as well.
So are you saying that hitting a curb with the side of a wheel is enough to break a suspension part in a well engineered car and that somehow fixing the wheel damage will help the suspension components?

well engineered car

data_laugh.jpg

Reactions: cwerdna
No. Happens all the time. Transmits a tremendous jolt through the suspension to the frame. Body shops often find suspension failures after impacts to wheels. Cars weigh over 5,000 lbs.

Just fixing the wheel will still leave the stressed suspension components fatigued. Owners of crubed wheels should also have their suspensions looked at to see if they are still sound. Difference between just scraping a wheel and taking a side impact.

Same way a runner can get shin splints from just slapping their feet on the asphalt.

Looks like they are fixing this very fast for me and I might have the car back very soon, attached is their estimate, take a look at the technician diagnosis. They say there was a tear in the boot of upper control arm bushing and it broke near the knuckle. I would be interested to see how this could’ve happened (bushing wearing out?).

Attachments

• 9B4AEC90-58E1-4031-B51D-F369D1D28735.jpeg
    9B4AEC90-58E1-4031-B51D-F369D1D28735.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 146
Looks like they are fixing this very fast for me and I might have the car back very soon, attached is their estimate, take a look at the technician diagnosis. They say there was a tear in the boot of upper control arm bushing and it broke near the knuckle. I would be interested to see how this could’ve happened (bushing wearing out?).

Interesting. This is NOT the forelink that is most of what is reported in this thread.

Yes it is.
Read the invoice.
1st Generation forelink LR side CRACKED - replaced
LH side...... she'll be right :)..... Good Luck

Yep, and unless I missed it, still no response as to whether or not this has been submitted for a NHTSA input.

I really don't get it.

At all.

The guy HAPPENS to have a failure at very low speed, something that could have just as easily happened on a curvy, two-lane road, whereupon it would have likely sent his car into oncoming traffic for a head-on collision, possibly killing or maiming for life his family and another.

And it's "oh well."

How do otherwise smart people end up acting so phenomenally stupid and/or selfish?

Please, help me understand why so few people give a damn.

Thanks.

Tesla owners must be terrible drivers.
So many unintended accelerations and suspensions damaged by careless driving.

Get real.

There are industry standards expected of any and all new cars and trucks. Judging purely by the massive number of suspension defects we see here, it's becoming a little too obvious that there's either a design or manufacturing defect with the MS and MX.

It is long-past time for Tesla to do a voluntary recall on suspect suspension parts. Since they have not yet done so, the OP needs to submit a NHTSA complaint at SaferCar.gov stat, as should everyone else that has had suspension failures.

Period.

Reactions: kavyboy
Get real.

There are industry standards expected of any and all new cars and trucks. Judging purely by the massive number of suspension defects we see here, it's becoming a little too obvious that there's either a design or manufacturing defect with the MS and MX.

It is long-past time for Tesla to do a voluntary recall on suspect suspension parts. Since they have not yet done so, the OP needs to submit a NHTSA complaint at SaferCar.gov stat, as should everyone else that has had suspension failures.

Period.

I just checked the NHTSA database. OP has not filed a complaint.
Nothing to see here.
Move along.

TESLA MODEL S FRONT UPPER CONTROL ARM RIGHT RH PASSENGER 6008930-00-A

Oh... that's all right then.
Nothing else can possibly go wron

Glad we're on the same page finally. The part# in @Widgeon 's invoice is for the upper control arm. The part that breaks frequently that is the topic of this thread is the forelink:

Original part #:
1041570-00-A
1041575-00-A

Revised part # that doesn't fail:
1041570-00-B
1041575-00-B

• Helpful
Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec