Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reversing out of a parking space we heard a very loud sound followed by a grinding/scraping noise from the front right. At first we thought we'd run over something, but there was nothing under or anywhere near the car. Moving the car forwards, the car felt like it first jacked up a bit on the front right, then moved smoothly, but still with the scraping noise. Since we were very close to home we drove home at very low speed with varying degrees of scraping and other noises whenever we went over bumps.

Tesla towed the car to Watertown and are replacing a control arm as I write this the next day.

There have been several reports of this kind of failure happening, so I wonder if they've got a systematic problem.

Hi there,

I just had the same control arm break free issue and here is my link:
Model X arm control disconnects from wheel at low speed

So what did the dealer do with your car in the end? Are you happy with their arrangement?

Thank you
Eric

Sitting on street as this just happened to me. Driver side control arm snapped while exiting a parking lot on left turn.

What's interesting is there was early sign for me. I was scheduled to have a rattling noise look at tomorrow for the front left suspension and this happened. The rattling sound is a low speed rattle sound that others have been reporting but inclusive in resolution.

Will post pics later. This is a 2016 75D facelift with 55k km.

• Informative
Reactions: croman and neroden
This is not the only design flaw. Some of the ball joints made in Canada fail and sheer off causing the wheel to go back into the wheel well. I have seen this on two cars and IMO it needs a recall. Tesla won't admit the failure as it is a liability but the steel appears to have defective casting and is too brittle causing it to shatter after a pothole or low impact. The set up a TSB only on one year car and only if it is in for alignment.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and OPRCE
This is not the only design flaw. Some of the ball joints made in Canada fail and sheer off causing the wheel to go back into the wheel well. I have seen this on two cars and IMO it needs a recall. Tesla won't admit the failure as it is a liability but the steel appears to have defective casting and is too brittle causing it to shatter after a pothole or low impact. The set up a TSB only on one year car and only if it is in for alignment.

Just another reason to have service coverage out of warranty. X-Care covers suspension issues state in this thread.

www.xcelerateauto.com/x-care/

Extended Warranty News Flash !!

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Hi there,

I just had the same control arm break free issue and here is my link:
Model X arm control disconnects from wheel at low speed

So what did the dealer do with your car in the end? Are you happy with their arrangement?

Thank you
Eric
Originally, they just replaced the part that failed, but in my comments, I said we weren't happy that they just replaced one side. Months later when I had the car in for another(!) problem, they replaced the other side gratis without my asking. I was, and am, very thankful they did.

Eventually, with some prodding, they also replaced the fender liner that the wheel rubbed against. They didn't have the part earlier but had noted it on the service report.

Last edited:
Here is a photo of the damage from the outside. Just about to turn a left, steering wheel is straight at the time.

Attachments

• IMG_20190304_181935.jpg
    IMG_20190304_181935.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_20190304_185023.jpg
    IMG_20190304_185023.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 423
Reversing out of a parking space we heard a very loud sound followed by a grinding/scraping noise from the front right. At first we thought we'd run over something, but there was nothing under or anywhere near the car. Moving the car forwards, the car felt like it first jacked up a bit on the front right, then moved smoothly, but still with the scraping noise. Since we were very close to home we drove home at very low speed with varying degrees of scraping and other noises whenever we went over bumps.

Tesla towed the car to Watertown and are replacing a control arm as I write this the next day.

There have been several reports of this kind of failure happening, so I wonder if they've got a systematic problem.
Interesting. For me it was both *rear* suspension control arms failing without any road impact (one at a time). Yeah, I do think they have a systemic problem. In areas with consistently bad roads, maybe the original version of these parts just aren't strong enough.

Tesla has repaired the car and said that while not common, they do see broken control arms occasionally on older cars. There has been a part revision to fix this, so clearly there was a problem with the original design.
Ah, good to know. A systemic problem which is already addressed is the best sort.

If you pay attention to the failures they occur exactly the same way, very low speed while making a tight turn. There doesn't appear to be much concern with the part braking while traveling down the road.

Most evidence seems to point that Tesla got some control arms that were manufactured without meeting specs, not that the part design was at issue. If it was a design issue, we'd see a lot more than a handful of these failures.
Even better. That's what I suspected with my failiures: a bad batch of parts.

View attachment 326925
View attachment 326930
Today, 130.9K miles. 2012 Model S...
Feedback welcome!
That's what happened to me. Lost both of the rears in about three months. Tesla replaced under extended warranty.

What do you mean reconstructed? How much damage was there and what speed were you going?
I was moving at highway speed. The front bumper, headlight, quarter panel and a long list of expensive stuff was damaged by the failure. It’s very difficult to know what (if anything) I could have hit. It was dark and raining but lots of other Cars were transmitting the same area without incident. Total repair greater than 20k.

I was moving at highway speed. The front bumper, headlight, quarter panel and a long list of expensive stuff was damaged by the failure. It’s very difficult to know what (if anything) I could have hit. It was dark and raining but lots of other Cars were transmitting the same area without incident. Total repair greater than 20k.
Also the strut mount on the frame. I wondered if they would total it.

My right side failed. There was a low speed rattle on that side only that Tesla checked and said was normal. It’s all being reconstructed now but should I worry about the other side? 2.5 months without a car sucks royally.

Absolutely you should worry about the other side! See my previous post below:

Nine months ago, my 2015 P90D's right Forelink cracked and Tesla replaced it.

After reading of other Forelink failures, I suspected a bad batch, so I asked them to replace my other one. They said there was no need to replace it and there was no recall, so I shouldn't worry.

Seven months later that other Forelink cracked exactly the same way. When they replaced it, they also replaced the steering knuckle, which they said was damaged. See the TMC thread entitled "Cracked Forelink?" for my photos and more info.

The second time, the service writer said they see many cracked Forelinks but they all seem to crack backing out of driveways and not on the highway. My thought was that he doesn't see the ones that fail on the highway because those cars are towed to the salvage yard instead of the service center :)