Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the “fore link”. Tesla mostly claims failures are impact related and not warranty. Interested to hear how it goes...

please file a nhtsa report on the failure.

there’s a lot written about fore link failures. Good news is the part has been updated. I’d get the other side replaced, too...

Looks like the “fore link”. Tesla mostly claims failures are impact related and not warranty. Interested to hear how it goes...

please file a nhtsa report on the failure.

there’s a lot written about fore link failures. Good news is the part has been updated. I’d get the other side replaced, too...

Good to know about better part available. 100 percent agree OP should report to NHSTA to help all owners.

Update: Car was towed to Tesla on Saturday 8/29, no acknowledgement of receipt from Tesla, nothing on Sunday, nothing on Monday so I called at 4pm and left a message, got a text message saying no one has looked at it and asking if I needed a rental (I didn't need the rental so I declined). Got a text message on Tuesday saying they would look at it and get back to me, then nothing.

Finally today (9/2) I got a text saying they were looking at my car. Then I got a text saying the car was repaired. I find this interesting considering I authorized nothing, and no one even discussed anything with me. I checked the App and there was an invoice, stating that they "Replaced LH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link. Replaced LH 2nd Generation Front Wheel Arch Liner. Verified Proper Operation." Parts replaced: "FORE LINK ASSY, LH(1041570-00-B)" and "ASY FR LH Wheel Louver Liner, MS2(1063693-00-D)" this was covered under "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty"

They also did a "Goodwill - service" "check tire pressure/tread depth". In which they says "Tire replacement recommened: No:"

Zero dollar total charge so far.

The last text I got said my car was repaired, I responded with a picture of the tire tread and asked if they replaced the tire? no response. Also going to ask if they inspected the passenger side whenever they get around to talking to me again.

Attachments

• TeslaRepairs.PNG
    TeslaRepairs.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 225
Update: Car was towed to Tesla on Saturday 8/29, no acknowledgement of receipt from Tesla, nothing on Sunday, nothing on Monday so I called at 4pm and left a message, got a text message saying no one has looked at it and asking if I needed a rental (I didn't need the rental so I declined). Got a text message on Tuesday saying they would look at it and get back to me, then nothing.

Finally today (9/2) I got a text saying they were looking at my car. Then I got a text saying the car was repaired. I find this interesting considering I authorized nothing, and no one even discussed anything with me. I checked the App and there was an invoice, stating that they "Replaced LH Aft Lower Front Suspension Link. Replaced LH 2nd Generation Front Wheel Arch Liner. Verified Proper Operation." Parts replaced: "FORE LINK ASSY, LH(1041570-00-B)" and "ASY FR LH Wheel Louver Liner, MS2(1063693-00-D)" this was covered under "Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty"

They also did a "Goodwill - service" "check tire pressure/tread depth". In which they says "Tire replacement recommened: No:"

Zero dollar total charge so far.

The last text I got said my car was repaired, I responded with a picture of the tire tread and asked if they replaced the tire? no response. Also going to ask if they inspected the passenger side whenever they get around to talking to me again.
Yeah, I don't know why they are putting that now on invoices as of recently. They didn't measure it. Sorta seems like some way around to do something they are sposed to do but aren't. It's been on mine a few times like that. Just curious, did you file a complaint with NHTSA? File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Just curious, did you file a complaint with NHTSA? File a Vehicle Safety Complaint | Safercar.gov | NHTSA

Yes I did. This why we have the NHTSA to help track this stuff and see if there is a larger problem. I am a bit dismayed that I don't feel Tesla is taking enough concern over these suspension issues, I should be able to drive the car normally and not worry that my wheel is going to fall into the body frame...

Reactions: hpartsch
I’ve read the highest stress and torque on that part is a hard turn at slow / no speed.

My 2017 MS 75 started to grind while making a U-turn to the left. It felt like the RFW both dipped and ground every couple of feet or so. TSC said they would trailer it in since it sounded too dangerous to drive. Called a couple of days later and said the car was ready. When I picked it up service guy said they had 3 different techs drive the car but none could duplicate my complaint. I drove it across the street to a big empty parking lot and the noise was gone. Does anyone have any idea what my problem was or wasn't?

Another story. 2 nights ago, exact same thing as all of you. Leaving parking spot, slow reverse, turned wheel and heard the grind and smelled the rubber. Roadside assistance towed me to SC in Charlotte next morning. Called me an hour later, explained my issue. I requested they replace both. got a message a few hours later that it was done- replaced both fore links, replaced tire, aligned wheels. Driving to Charlotte now to pick it up. Thanks to this forum I easily found out problem and knew to ask for both side repair. Thanks!
Tesla was great- no questions asked.
2017 model S P100D, 40,000mi.

Attachments

• E9EB3DB9-1061-4721-BACF-0188AF292AC6.jpeg
    E9EB3DB9-1061-4721-BACF-0188AF292AC6.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 198
Leaving parking spot, slow reverse, turned wheel and heard the grind and smelled the rubber. 2017 model S P100D, 40,000mi.
Interesting - the slow reverse at a turn seems to be a (the?) common theme in these failures.

@Danj5267 - glad to hear you’re okay and got a good resolution from Tesla. Can you share a copy of the invoice showing the replacement part numbers?

I drive a JAN 2017 build S75D coil, not air, and had hoped we would not see this issue creep forward into the 2017s but looks like this will not be the case...2017’s are affected.

Final update: Dealing with Tesla Service certainly is annoying now. They text you and then don't respond back for an entire day. Even though my original invoice said they checked my tires, I asked them if they replaced my tire that was ground up by the suspension control arm breaking and the wheel going into the wheel well, they said no. Then they tried to charge me for the tire. I replied that the damage was due to a warranty part breaking and then quickly agreed to replace the tire. They also didn't replace my passenger one because its not broken... sigh..

I'm satisfied but not thrilled with the whole service response. Below is a picture of the new control rod they put in.

Over minor note there we two Y's which were delivered that day, which were back in the service center for problems already...

Attachments

• IMG_20200904_163444332_compressed.jpg
    IMG_20200904_163444332_compressed.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 207
Another story. 2 nights ago, exact same thing as all of you. Leaving parking spot, slow reverse, turned wheel and heard the grind and smelled the rubber. Roadside assistance towed me to SC in Charlotte next morning. Called me an hour later, explained my issue. I requested they replace both. got a message a few hours later that it was done- replaced both fore links, replaced tire, aligned wheels. Driving to Charlotte now to pick it up. Thanks to this forum I easily found out problem and knew to ask for both side repair. Thanks!
Tesla was great- no questions asked.
2017 model S P100D, 40,000mi.

May we assume this repair was 100% on Tesla's cost? (Both sides, correct?)

Second, PLEASE file a NHTSA report at safercar.gov ASAP--someone's life could depend on it!

Third, Elon, where are you on this overdue recall? Please, get on it before someone gets hurt or worse.

Thx.

May we assume this repair was 100% on Tesla's cost? (Both sides, correct?)

Second, PLEASE file a NHTSA report at safercar.gov ASAP--someone's life could depend on it!

Third, Elon, where are you on this overdue recall? Please, get on it before someone gets hurt or worse.

Thx.

Hi, just wanted some advice. I was reversing my car out of a parking space and heard a loud snap. After getting out and not seeing any damage (there was nothing to actually hit) I continued to drive then after driving about 10metre, I heard a massive grinding noise especially when I used the brakes. My car is a late 2016 model so still in warranty (just). I managed to get the car to tesla (which fortunately was about 200m away). They said I have a broken control arm and said I must have hit something, therefore it’s my fault and they won’t repair it under the warranty but instead will charge £2200.
I defiantly did not hit anything and there is no evidence of body damage. They sent me a picture which they claim shows the impact site, but when I look at the picture to me it looks like the damage was caused by the broken arm and due to the pattern of damage I’m struggling to understand how this could possibly be caused by a impact (Especially as I was reversing at the time). Any advice?

Attachments

• 18D47D9D-3B88-4DCD-A7E3-894BC5CB0547.png
    18D47D9D-3B88-4DCD-A7E3-894BC5CB0547.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 198
  • 0A5C3F92-6947-439B-A827-384095FD16E0.jpeg
    0A5C3F92-6947-439B-A827-384095FD16E0.jpeg
    311.8 KB · Views: 190
Hi, just wanted some advice. I was reversing my car out of a parking space and heard a loud snap. After getting out and not seeing any damage (there was nothing to actually hit) I continued to drive then after driving about 10metre, I heard a massive grinding noise especially when I used the brakes. My car is a late 2016 model so still in warranty (just). I managed to get the car to tesla (which fortunately was about 200m away). They said I have a broken control arm and said I must have hit something, therefore it’s my fault and they won’t repair it under the warranty but instead will charge £2200.
I defiantly did not hit anything and there is no evidence of body damage. They sent me a picture which they claim shows the impact site, but when I look at the picture to me it looks like the damage was caused by the broken arm and due to the pattern of damage I’m struggling to understand how this could possibly be caused by a impact (Especially as I was reversing at the time). Any advice?

Ah, yes, this is from the Blame the Customer School of Customer Service! Always a winner!

What the heck is wrong with Tesla Service that it's dropped so fast and so low?

I too would think that all of those "impact" marks were caused by the broken control arm flailing about, and I'd suggest you speak with management at your local SC and advise them that you intend for them to do the following:

1. Apologize for blaming you when there is no evidence of you supposedly hitting anything, but there IS evidence of their failed control arm striking many things.

2. Promptly replace BOTH side control arms, at Tesla expense.

3. Provide all parts to you for submission to your country's version of the NHTSA.

ELON: It's stories like this which embarrass me as a TSLA shareholder . . . fix the damn control arms, all of them, and then self-initiate a recall ASAP to get these ticking time bombs off the streets. (Bill the manufacturer so that they'll pay for all of it, plus a Goodwill payment for the damage they've caused to Tesla's reputation; otherwise, they'll never have another Tesla contract, ever.)

If Tesla refuses, pay for the repair (both sides); keep ALL parts. Then follow up with your local jurisdiction for recourse.

Just unbelievable.

ELON: It's stories like this which embarrass me as a TSLA shareholder . . . fix the damn control arms, all of them, and then self-initiate a recall ASAP to get these ticking time bombs off the streets. (Bill the manufacturer so that they'll pay for all of it, plus a Goodwill payment for the damage they've caused to Tesla's reputation; otherwise, they'll never have another Tesla contract, ever.)

If Tesla refuses, pay for the repair (both sides); keep ALL parts. Then follow up with your local jurisdiction for recourse.

Just unbelievable.

I couldn’t agree more. Imagine a manufacturer putting your family at risk and then charging you to repair it. This should not happen on vehicle less than 10 years old, yet alone a premium luxury vehicle. Elon’s personal car is a S performance. I highly doubt he’s blissfully unaware of these problems.

Ah, yes, this is from the Blame the Customer School of Customer Service! Always a winner!

1. ....Tesla should apologize for blaming you when there is no evidence of you supposedly hitting anything, but there IS evidence of their failed control arm striking many things.

I concur: this is ridiculous. Tesla now has plenty of money, and they should be doing better for the customers.

This whole "you must have hit something" approach is wrong. The car should be designed to withstand everything a normal road has to offer.

Imagine if you bought a boat, the hull collapsed, and when you tell the dealer they state it is not the manufacturers fault because you " must have hit the water".

Last edited:
Reactions: TSLA Pilot