Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bummer that Tesla just didn't replace these on affected cars proactively. It is also sad that the NHTSA did nothing yet. They seem to work very slowly though... Thinking in about 6 months -1 year they might open up an investigation.

Is the recently filed class action in CA courts related to this issue?
Tesla accused of ignoring and covering up suspension defects in class action lawsuit - Roadshow
My wife's 2017 MS is at the SC waiting parts for a different, but maybe related issue, that dogbone shaped piece was crumpled by a minor curb hit.
PXL_20201119_011819935.jpg

Is the recently filed class action in CA courts related to this issue?
Tesla accused of ignoring and covering up suspension defects in class action lawsuit - Roadshow
My wife's 2017 MS is at the SC waiting parts for a different, but maybe related issue, that dogbone shaped piece was crumpled by a minor curb hit.View attachment 611791

Mhm. Model S and Model X vehicles were recently recalled in China for suspension faults. Tesla had this to say to the NHTSA about the matter:

Tesla has not determined that a defect exists in either the Front Suspension Aft Link or the Rear Suspension Upper Link and believes the root cause of the issue is driver abuse, including that driver usage and expectation for damageability is uniquely severe in the China market.

2016 Model S with 77K Miles...yes out of warranty :(...just experienced this today at a local trailhead in Bay Area. After a long hike, returned to car, pulled car out of parking at an angle (slight slope, not flat), and as I was about to drive forward, the front right (passenger) wheel made sounds and felt like it was stuck. stopped, looked - didn't feel much different. Tried to drive again, major sound and resistance reappeared. Stopped (still in the parking zone - outside road). Called Tow truck. Here is a video of what the front wheel was like, when being slowly moved up to the tow truck. (watch the back and front motion of the wheel - quite scary!).

The last 3miles to get to this trailhead is nice paved hilly road (Black Rd, Los Gatos), 35mph speed limit. Didn't hit any rock or object as far as I could notice. To park on the left side of the road, I made a full turn to get from right to left of road (wide road allowed that). Parked normally and car felt great. Came back tired and cold, and was looking forward to getting back - but got this experience.
I am aware of the NHTSA investigation. If this is indeed related to that, I do hope Tesla acknowledges that this might be more widespread and take the necessary repair/recall steps for safety of all occupants (what if this had happened when I was on the freeway?). I had my whole family & our dog, in the car.

2016 Model S with 77K Miles...yes out of warranty :(...just experienced this today at a local trailhead in Bay Area. After a long hike, returned to car, pulled car out of parking at an angle (slight slope, not flat), and as I was about to drive forward, the front right (passenger) wheel made sounds and felt like it was stuck. stopped, looked - didn't feel much different. Tried to drive again, major sound and resistance reappeared. Stopped (still in the parking zone - outside road). Called Tow truck. Here is a video of what the front wheel was like, when being slowly moved up to the tow truck. (watch the back and front motion of the wheel - quite scary!).

The last 3miles to get to this trailhead is nice paved hilly road (Black Rd, Los Gatos), 35mph speed limit. Didn't hit any rock or object as far as I could notice. To park on the left side of the road, I made a full turn to get from right to left of road (wide road allowed that). Parked normally and car felt great. Came back tired and cold, and was looking forward to getting back - but got this experience.
I am aware of the NHTSA investigation. If this is indeed related to that, I do hope Tesla acknowledges that this might be more widespread and take the necessary repair/recall steps for safety of all occupants (what if this had happened when I was on the freeway?). I had my whole family & our dog, in the car.

What you have there is a major caster issue.

Joke aside, clearly there is a control arm failure where wheel and axle and literally flopping forward and aft.

I wish Tesla would make a suitable revised part and ditch the whole aluminum mantra for a lightweight suspension. Some components need to be made more robust and the pivoting stress that a control arm and its links go through is clearly too much for their design. Basically anything with a joint and bushing should be re-examined by Tesla, NTHSA, and SAE.

I think by Tesla not spending the time and money on R&D has bit the early-adopter in the butt too many times. It would be nice if Tesla had a fleet of high-miled vehicles to examine the problems before they creep up in their customer cars.

Aluminum is pretty and has lightweight bragging rights, but I’ve seen too many failures due to sheering and stress fractures to recommend it on a heavy production car. You generally see aircraft aluminum in 3rd party performance components that are meant for racing or off-road use...where reliability and endurance is not the primary objective.

I've had a loud clunk and a squeak every time I go over a speed bump in my 2014 S85. I took it in to the service center and they replaced both forelink assemblies. They said they were "worn out". Luckily I am still under warranty so it only cost me the $200 deductible, but I shouldn't' even be paying that if they are going to recall them.... Invoice info below for anyone who needs it:

Correction: Links - Front Suspension - Lower - Aft - LH/RH (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added:
Part - FORE LINK ASSY, RH(1041575-00-B) 1.0 FORE LINK ASSY, LH(1041570-00-B) 1.0

Correction: Links - Fore - Lower - Front - LH/RH (Includes Alignment Check) (Remove & Replace)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part - FR SUSP STABAR LINK RH(6008915-00-A) 1.0 FR SUSP STABAR LINK LH(6007098-00-A) 1.0 FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY(1027351-00-C) 2.0

so my car got serviced.
Front suspension lower right AFT arm broke. Part $205. I asked them to replace the same one on the other side too. + labor + wheel alignment: $1003. And yes, the parts were 1041575-00-B, and 1041570-00-B.

I am going to continue to complain up the chain that at 4yrs old & 77K miles, and not hitting any potholes etc, I don't expect these parts to fail/snap like that. And will post into NHTSA's investigation, as well. IMG-0511.jpg

thanks
PN

so my car got serviced.
Front suspension lower right AFT arm broke. Part $205. I asked them to replace the same one on the other side too. + labor + wheel alignment: $1003. And yes, the parts were 1041575-00-B, and 1041570-00-B.

I am going to continue to complain up the chain that at 4yrs old & 77K miles, and not hitting any potholes etc, I don't expect these parts to fail/snap like that. And will post into NHTSA's investigation, as well. View attachment 613342

thanks
PN
Tangentially related as to why I'm not a huge fan of aircraft aluminum used in high-torquing suspension links and joints:

Here's a pic of my Autotech 28mm adjustable rear sway bar bracket for my old VW TDI. This completely sheered and failure when going up a driveway while taking a right-hand turn. The uneven load torqued up one side causing the bracket to snap.

Attachments

• IMG_0391(1).JPG
    IMG_0391(1).JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 234
Model S85
61,000ks (38,000mi)
Year 2014
All prices in AUD (Australian Dollar)

Car was purchased from Tesla inventory and I have Extended Warranty.
  • Pre-Owned Limited Warranty
  • Begins Oct 29, 2018
  • Begins at 27133 km
  • Expires Oct 29, 2022
  • Expires at 107133 km
Tesla SC in Richmond VIC said this is "wear and tear" and will not repair under warranty.

Any thoughts on how to proceed with this?

Thanks all
J

View attachment 607038

So I paid for the above repair and picked up car. Drove out of driveway and turned then what happened.. CLICK CLICK THUD! LOL.. This couldn't be any more comedic. I have followed up with Tesla and it's like pulling teeth to get a human response other than "submit it through the app!" and I know they must be sick of me but geezus I want to drive a car that is safe and reliable.

Close to selling and just going back to ICE. Customer service doesn't meet the price of the vehicle and brand of the company.

Close to selling and just going back to ICE. Customer service doesn't meet the price of the vehicle and brand of the company.
^^ this. My local Tesla group is on fire with pissed owners pissed off at Tesla service. Others are frustrated with the purchasing process after not getting call backs from Tesla. Nobody to call. No humans. Just robots like Musk.

The saddest thing about all of this is that one day, when Musk realizes he is shitting all over the brand he helped build, we will say "we told you so and you did this to yourself."